Canadian Events Canada, eh?

why buy a used Vette from a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Default why buy a used Vette from a dealer?

I'm hoping to be in the market for a C5 (2001ish) in the spring/summer. Since I won't be trading in anything when I buy the Vette, what would be the advantage of buying from a GM dealer? I know the disadvantage is a higher price since I would pay GST on the full amount (around $2000+) as well as PST. I assume the base price might be higher than private sale pricing to start with as well (but maybe I'm wrong here).

So is there a reason I should look around at GM dealers when I'm ready to buy?

Rick
Old 03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Dirty-Z
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can offer is that if you use a reputable dealer, they should stand behind you and the car if there are any problems with it. My car had the gear box go after 6 weeks. The dealership stepped up and replaced it no charge. It would have cost me around $2600.00

Not sure if the private used car lots would do that and most definitely a private sale wouldn't pay for a new gear box. You may pay a bit more up front but it's worth it for peace of mind unless you know the private seller and the history of the car itself.

Just my opinion here.

Jay
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
terry621
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Peterborough"I'd rather be topless than all couped up" Ontario
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Default good relationship

Originally Posted by Dirty-Z
All I can offer is that if you use a reputable dealer, they should stand behind you and the car if there are any problems with it. My car had the gear box go after 6 weeks. The dealership stepped up and replaced it no charge. It would have cost me around $2600.00

Not sure if the private used car lots would do that and most definitely a private sale wouldn't pay for a new gear box. You may pay a bit more up front but it's worth it for peace of mind unless you know the private seller and the history of the car itself.

Just my opinion here.

Jay
Yup get to know the dealer well and it well save you much more than you will pay in the GST.

my 0.02 worth.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
smook
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the most important item is that you will know the HISTORY of THE CAR.

The dealer usually will not sell a damaged/hit/rough car. The dealer has a lot to lose. When buying from a dealer (GM) ask for the warranty period being offered on the car before purchasing.

GO DEALER. Sometimes you might be able to find a good private used car. But, be careful.

ENJOY THE RIDE.
-zzzBill.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 PM
FOLDNTOP
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No two used cars are a like. I think the choice to purchase depensd on a lot of factors. You must be comfortable with the car, the seller and the deal. Sometimes this works out to be at dealer sometimes a private sale. I've done in both ways. In the private sale you need to research ownership and lean status and the used car package from MTO helps a bit here. In all purchases its buyer beware and I don't think that there is a simple hard and fast rule of where the best deal will be. My .02
Old 03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by FOLDNTOP
No two used cars are a like. I think the choice to purchase depensd on a lot of factors. You must be comfortable with the car, the seller and the deal. Sometimes this works out to be at dealer sometimes a private sale. I've done in both ways. In the private sale you need to research ownership and lean status and the used car package from MTO helps a bit here. In all purchases its buyer beware and I don't think that there is a simple hard and fast rule of where the best deal will be. My .02

Too bad none of the guys here are selling their's. There are dozen's of well maintained C5's in the pack but of course they're never for sale when you want one. Pedigree has a lot to do with the sale price...what you save in taxes by not going to a dealer may well be eaten up by the fact that a local car has a well known history in the area and is deserving of a higher dollar.

Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to post any questions as cars come up for sale...lots of C5 knowledge/buying experience in this section

Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
MOSPORT1
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

It all comes down to doing your homework. I bought my C6 from a dealer in Guelph. Never planned on going back for service or anything. They never so much as called to see how the car was or anything. They just wanted to unload it asap and be done with it.
Not all dealers are the same as we all know.
I had the worst case of post purchase blues,, they were not fun to deal with. But in the end I got a good deal on the car,, not so much on my trade-in but that goes with out saying!
Again,, do your homework,, get the VIN and run it's history if you can.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you need to do your due diligence in the matter. It's your money and you should not put your trust into a dealer just because they are a dealer. There will be cars that are immaculately taken care of by an owner so don't be afraid to deal with them. After all the immaculate used car you buy at a dealer was once owned by someone before, it's just they did not bother selling it privately. I take alot of pride in my vehicles and it shows in spades and I am sure whoever ends up with my cars after I'm done with them is getting some of the best kept ones in the used car market. Have whatever car you get inspected by a licensed mechanic and go from there.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

I couldn't resist!

You are buying more than a car, you are buying a relationship, if you deal with the right dealer. If you aren't interested in that, then it is all about the car, and that is fine.

Private is usually less money, more headaches, but nothing is a guarantee. I know of people that have bought private, with no problems, and people who have dealt with dealers and had all sorts of issues. I think, personally, that there is no right answer. If you are looking at a dealer, and feel that you aren't getting straight answers, look elsewhere, same if you are buying private. There is some protection bult into dealing with a dealer, but even then, there are dealers and then there are dealers....

Find a car you want, don't worry about where it is or who is selling it, do your homework, get the best price you can on the car you want. It always amazes me that people will go out to buy a car, any car, and spend 10K, 20K, 40K, 100K, and sweat the small stuff. If you find the car of your dreams, honestly, if it is an extra 1 or 2K, who cares. I know of many people who cut corners, got their second choice to save a bit of money, and then ended up changing cars the next year, to get what they really wanted, and I guarantee that will cost more than what you thought you were saving. This is not a pair of socks, don't buy for price only....

Darryl
Old 03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Bugstyvy
Racer

Mine is for sale in the spring 2002 6 speed, black on black targa, 70,000 kms. take over payments and its yours....pm for details...
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Cobraboy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you all very much for the input; this is exactly what I needed. You guys are great.

I couldn't resist!
Good. I've read enough old posts, to learn as much as I can, that I've come across some of your posts (and was hoping you would chip in). I will definetely pay you a visit, but I do have a question. I know you generally have a good selection of used C5's, but do you have 2001/2002 or do you not keep those around? Your used car inventory seems to list much newer ones (a little out of my price range).

Mine is for sale in....pm for details...
I may do that, but I have to sell my Porsche first; I have a couple people very interested, so hopefully it won't be long. I didn't used to like black cars until I got the Porsche ('87 Carrera). When it is clean and shiny there is nothing like it!

thanks again for the help,

Rick
Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

We do on occasion get cars in that age range, but in truth we are pretty picky on what hits our lot, and the 6-7 year old cars, unless they are low kms. usually cost too much to bring up to our standards, and we often wholesale them.

Darryl

Get notified of new replies

To why buy a used Vette from a dealer?

Quick Reply: why buy a used Vette from a dealer?