Canadian Events Canada, eh?

[OT] This trip blog is getting a bit off the grid...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:02 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [OT] This trip blog is getting a bit off the grid...

2008-03-21 Client outing day..
Hey all. I know that I keep running on about this great country and I hope to never tire of it. I hope that my bogging doesn't bore you either. Oh yea, still no Vettes (stayed on topic by mentioning Corvette).

We had an important client in Bangalore and the rep couldn't be here because she was "stuck in Paris". Hmm, lemme get this straight - a woman stuck in Paris is a bad thing? Am I missing something here?

In any case I was pleased to take Randy sightseeing and shopping. It was an excuse for me to actually experience a bit of the city during daylight hours instead of my usual "vampire shift" hahaha.

We started by having lunch at the Leela Palace. This hotel is very exclusive (read: expensive even by Western standards) ao guess who paid. Ok it was me...

The gardens are extraordinary as well as the service. I am still amazed to find smoking in hotel restaurants here even if they are very upscale.

Despite the overcast day, the view was still quite spectacular.

After getting the bill (pretty good at 8,000Rs ≈ $200) our driver took around to visit the temples and other cools spots but first a stop at the Asian Arts Emporium. We were greeted by the owner and shown everything from Pajmina's to awesome carpets and Sandalwood carvings. FYI, unless your a chick (is this correct?), a Pajmina is made from Kashmir and wool and is basically a really expensive huge and wide scarf-like thingy. Sandalwood is EXTREMELY expensive. A wee little elephant carving went for as much as >4,000Rs (>100$) and this thing couldn't be bore than two inches tall and three inches long!!! I didn't bother with the pics as there will be plenty of time later.

So after almost one hour we headed to the temple of the Big Bull. This thing is massive and is said to be the "Carrier of Lord Shiva - The Destroyer". Here is some intel on this interesting site.

An interesting note was that we had to remove our shoes to enter the temple. We were also anointed by the priest there. How freaking cool s that?

The big bull

The imposing garlanded Nandi, the celestial bull of Lord Shiva, carved out of a single granite rock, is breathtakingly real. The original colour of the bull, gray, has turned black.

The bull is believed to have ‘grown’ from 4.57 metres to its present five metres in height, and 5.10 mts to six mts in length. In an attempt to curb further growth iron rods have been placed on the bull’s head.

The temple is built in simple classical Dravidian style - with gray granite polished with a mixture of charcoal and groundnut oil. Its modern gopuram rises gracefully into the sky.

Interestingly from the cave temple of Gavi Gangadhareshwara a few roads below, a shaft of light falls on the bull’s head, on Makara Sankranthi (mid January) every year.

The legends

There are many legends about how the temple came to be. One story relates to the groundnut growing fields around Mavalli, Dasarahalli, Avalahalli, Guttahalli and Kanakanapalya, all surrounding areas of Basavanagudi (which takes its name from this temple).

Groundnut farmers noticed that their fields were ransacked after every full moon. They suspected the handiwork of robbers.

To nab them, the farmers armed themselves and waited in the fields on a full moon night.

When they heard rustling sounds, one of them swung a crowbar in the direction of the sound, and struck a huge body. Not wanting to take chances, he thrust the pointed end of the crowbar into it. By now, the other farmers had gathered and to their horror, saw the rod had struck not a ‘giant of a thief’ but ‘a huge bull golden in colour, eyes shining bright like jewels’.

As dawn broke, the bull mysteriously disappeared. The stupefied farmers later learnt that the bull had come to the fields to actually guard the crop.

That’s when the perplexed farmers first made the connection to the incident and the discovery of a huge stone idol of a bull on top of the hillock. The villagers rushed to it and seeing that the icon was exactly like the slain bull, the farmer who dealt the murderous blow and others begged for forgiveness and sought continued protection.

Legend also has it that when Kempe Gowda, learnt of this story he offered obeisance to Nandi (the bull) and lost no time in building the temple. Thanksgiving to the celestial bull continues even today in the form of kadalekai parishe (groundnut fair) held every year on the last Monday of the month of Kartika - which is believed to bring good rains and bountiful crop.

Next onto another cool place - Tipu Sultan's Summer Palace.

Shot of a cool street vendor selling Chat (no ot the web-kind but the kind you eat). Oh welcome to fried food heaven and spicy too.

Then we went off to our next destination - Bangalore Palace

Bangalore Palace, inspired by the Windsor Castle, was built in 1887 AD by Chamaraja Wodeyar in Tudor-style.

Standing in the heart of the city, the palace was earlier surrounded by beautiful gardens in the midst of a vast open area, which has reduced considerably today. This unique edifice gives the impression of a piece of England's architecture in Bangalore. Largely constructed of wood, the Bangalore Palace is famous for its carving and paintings. The structure has fortified towers and its interiors boast of elegant woodcarvings and Tudor-style architecture, complete with Gothic windows, battlements and turrets. An exquisite door panel at the entrance leads to grand settings inside. The interiors have breathtaking floral motifs, cornices, mouldings and relief paintings on its ceiling.

While I didn't put too many pictures of the paintings, the past king had a "thing" for painting nude very attractive women. Our guide "Melvin" (couldn't pronounce his name) told us that the past king was a bit of a "****-hound" if you know what I mean. A bit of a "howz ya fatha.... (said Austin Powers style)

If you want to see the full photo book go here:
http://gallery.mac.com/pierremoatti/100029

Last edited by SilverSurferC6; 03-22-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 AM
E.C.P
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Great picture's man . Keep them coming
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

Excellent Rogues Pierre!!--pictures and an education all wrapped in one--keep them coming my friend!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nasty98
Great picture's man . Keep them coming
Originally Posted by WildWilly55
Excellent Rogues Pierre!!--pictures and an education all wrapped in one--keep them coming my friend!!!!
Thanks friends, I enjoy sharing this with you.

Get notified of new replies

To [OT] This trip blog is getting a bit off the grid...

Quick Reply: [OT] This trip blog is getting a bit off the grid...