Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Should i have been insulted???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM
greg k.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should i have been insulted???

Hey guys.So i went to a dealership in hamilton undecided if i should trade in my 05 z51 vette for a car i can drive all year long.I won't get into what dealership i went to or what car i am considering.Anyway my vette has 43000k,has gmpp extended warrenty until nov.2010.I have acorsa exhaust,etc........The manager comes and tells me before i even want a test drive that the best he can do is offer bet.20-22 thousand.To be honest guys, i was insulted.Even gary the car salesman was shocked.Funny thing is when i pulled up to the dealership more than half of the employees were asking all kinds of questions about it.They all loved the vette.I ws actually flattered...............I obviously told the manager that i would never consider such an offer and left without even considering any test drives.................

greg
Old 11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me as if you know the answer to your own question
In my opinion, unless you're going to get another Vette, keep your C6! In your Vette, you're special (as you could see by the response at the dealership)
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insulting ......very much so....

Uncommon....nope...

Same thing happened to me last year when I wanted to trade my beast in on an Escalade....

I just laughed at the sales manager and walked out....

Don't sweat it....

I think we would be very surprised at how many people accept low-ball offers for trade-ins from dealers...

No biggie...they are just throwing you the hook and the line....you were smart and just swam away without biting !!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 AM
66 milano
Racer

Obviously, you had every right to be insulted. I would suggest that the offer reflects the times that we are currently experiencing. The dealer doesn't want a "summer" car sitting on his lot for an extended period of time, so he gave you an offer knowing that he could 1) sell the car fast or 2) unload it at auction. As Indy says, unless you are trading in on another vette, sell the car privately and then buy from another dealer.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:57 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Insulted? Hell yes!

Reality is that the economy has gone for a toss. This may be more of a reality check for most of us than we care to admit.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Why would you be insulted? It's just business and money. Car sales are in the dumper.

Tried to upgrade my 07 C6 full load coupe to a Z06. It has 12Kms on it and dealer said it's worth around $35K. GMAC has it currently on the books at $53K so I'm upside down 18 grand. I guess GM will be getting it back at the end of the lease 20 months from now as the buyback is $35K and that is what they are saying its worth now.

I'm not unhappy, I still get to drive my car!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I always find the whole trade in situation insulting, especially since I know what the used cars are worth. But truth be told, they really don't want your car, they'll have a hard time selling it in this economy, combined with the fact that winter is coming.

When the time comes for me to get a C6, I have no intention of using my C5 as a trade in, because I know I'll just get angry at what they offer me. Right now with 161,000km on it, I bet they would only offer me $10,000. Just wait a few more years when it has 200,000 on it and I bet they'll only offer $5000! So I'm better off to keep it forever, even if I only end up driving it a small amount once I get a C6. The car is worth way more to me than that small sum of money they'd offer.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Geez... Clean black book is $27,500. Your guy REALLY lowballed you. Probably the reason is they don't have the money to put in to a trade that they probably will have to keep all winter. What a stupid way to lose a customer.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
use2bl8
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can lookup trade-in values yourself.
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services...raise-trade-in
Old 11-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by use2bl8
You can lookup trade-in values yourself.
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services...raise-trade-in
Wow, mine is worth even less than I thought! It doesn't even go as old as 98, so I entered the info for a 99, and so my 98 would be worth even less as a trade, but this is the info it spit out for a 99 with the same km as mine:

Low: $7,256.00 High: $10,256.00

Good thing I'm never selling!
Old 11-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Bugstyvy
Racer

I got $26,000 FOR MY 02, 80,000km from a Suzuki dealership in april 08' (trade in)

sheesh!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
luvracingcars
Intermediate

You would think that with GM facing the very real possibility of bankruptcy, these dealers would be doing everything thing they could to sell vehicles, not chasing away customers. Then again, a lot of these sales managers are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
07silvervette17
Drifting

Remember guys those prices on black book are wholesale dealer prices !! Not retail which is the only price to get on a trade especially at the dealers hurting right now. If they won't give you what you want then walk: tell them your not the one who needs to sell to stay in business!!!!! Don't beleive any site that gm wants you to get a price from ! There out for your best interest RIGHT Maybe when GM goes banktrupt chapter 11 and toyota buys them then we will see a new unbelievable C7 like nothing before and with toyota quality! And this is coming from a guy who knows [ i have a 04 matrix with 540,000 km on it's original drivetrain with no repairs other than maintanance!! You don't think the 09 pontiac vibe sales would be up 38% if it had a GM drivetrain [it's all toyota]
Old 11-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Highway Hawk
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07silvervette17
Remember guys those prices on black book are wholesale dealer prices !! Not retail which is the only price to get on a trade especially at the dealers hurting right now. If they won't give you what you want then walk: tell them your not the one who needs to sell to stay in business!!!!! Don't beleive any site that gm wants you to get a price from ! There out for your best interest RIGHT Maybe when GM goes banktrupt chapter 11 and toyota buys them then we will see a new unbelievable C7 like nothing before and with toyota quality! And this is coming from a guy who knows [ i have a 04 matrix with 540,000 km on it's original drivetrain with no repairs other than maintanance!! You don't think the 09 pontiac vibe sales would be up 38% if it had a GM drivetrain [it's all toyota]

GM couldn't possibly make a decent car could they.

Oh yea and Toyota never makes lemons!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by luvracingcars
You would think that with GM facing the very real possibility of bankruptcy, these dealers would be doing everything thing they could to sell vehicles, not chasing away customers. Then again, a lot of these sales managers are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
Selling vehicles at a loss is not good business sense. GM or their dealers are better off not selling vehicles vs selling them at a loss and racking up debt. Essentially that is what GMAC did when they stopped leasing incentives. It may sell less cars, but it also stops the bleeding.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Dealer = low price for you selling

Dealer = High price if you are buying

Dealer = Profit to stay in business

Big Profit = Rip Off offers

Rip off offers = Poor Dealer
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

hmmm, so the '05 Tucson I bought for my wife stateside last yr. is still worth $2 - 4k more than what I paid for it, and I would likely have to pay them to accept my 72. A father of good friend sold his GM dealership 12 years ago after owning it for over 35 yrs. He had had enough of the BS from them. He opened up a private used car dealership right across the street from his old GM one and is still laughing all the way to the bank.

Get notified of new replies

To Should i have been insulted???

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 AM
66 milano
Racer

As I said earlier and Patman confirms; the dealer just couldn't be bothered with the normal trade-in process. Having a C5 on your lot in November / December will be a tough sell, unless the price is so good, that the potential buyer won't mind driving the car home and parking it for 3 - 4 months. And yes, with the stock market at nearly 50% off from its 2008 peak; we Corvette owners have lost a boatload of potential buyers.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 AM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Prices

Back on Jan 28,200 04 I bought a 2003 C5 Vert from Dueck GM in Vancouver
The sticker was $82,312.... I Offered them $60,400 and they jumped all over it. Mind you it was a 2003 but had only 52km on the clock.
Just goes to show you what these cars are really worth.
mrgil
Old 11-23-2008, 01:22 AM
Konstantin
Pro

everybody thinks their car is worth a lot more than it really is. it is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. why get insulted ?

i always get a good laugh looking at people trying to sell their cars at way too high of asking price, cars never sell, and owner " decides " to keep it cause they like it too much ( and never admit no one wanted to buy it because its not worth that much )

- Kons

Quick Reply: Should i have been insulted???