Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Track Days 101 - Enter Here Newbies!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Between this thread and my first thread I dont think I can add much more info but really want to reiterate that this is SO much fun and its very safe, we all run by the same rules, go in the same direction, go relatively the same speed and have cornerworkers and instructors to make it even safer.

Mark mentioned alot of check items and to be honest, once you get to the track, theres LOTS of help around. There are a ton of people that will direct/help/assist you with things you need to do.

When you come in from a session.. take 5 minutes to check tire pressure, torque your wheels, look at rotors for cracks and try to get a visual of your pads.. when you are finished all 4 corners, check your oil. Then you are ready for your next session.

The one thing you will want to do before your track day is make sure your brake pads are at LEAST 50%.

Traction control or not to traction control, that is the question... simple answer, why not? if you hit a corner and it kicks in... its kicking in for a reason, use it as a tool and learn what you did to set it off and try to correct it the next lap. I now run with it off but spent my first few running with it on.

IT'S NOT A RACE AT ANY POINT...not yelling, just stressing there is no pressure on you to driver harder then you are comfortable with.

Mosport, specifically is a fast open track so its not as hard on your tires or brakes as the smaller tighter tracks like Shannonville, Dunnville etc... so running your stock vettes as is will be just fine.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thead, Mark, and nice contributions from others. A couple of apparently minor, but actually quite important things:

1. Sunscreen and a hat- you spend more time out of the car than you think, and there often isn't shade.

2. For the same reason - folding chairs.

A good pair of driving shoes is a worthwhile investment, and I wear gloves, which I find helps with "sweaty palm syndrome".

I always pop the hood in between runs to help with cooling.

Michael

Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RFE 300
Great thead, Mark, and nice contributions from others. A couple of apparently minor, but actually quite important things:

1. Sunscreen and a hat- you spend more time out of the car than you think, and there often isn't shade.

2. For the same reason - folding chairs.

A good pair of driving shoes is a worthwhile investment, and I wear gloves, which I find helps with "sweaty palm syndrome".

I always pop the hood in between runs to help with cooling.

Michael

Good Points Mike! I'm a bit on the red side after Cayuga yesterday! I guess I got up there just after you had left ... most of the guys thought you had just gone to fill up with gas ... and so I waited, and waited

Nateel had a rough day, his Viper ACR started make some funny noises ... so his day ended early.

It was fun watching the two SPEED World Chanllenge GT tourning cars run around the track ... I was chatting with the team ... and it came in handy later ... they assessed Nateel's damage, and then helped the other Viper ACR (Red and Black) get some stones out of his back right tire after he had a little off road adventure.

Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are we going to see you out at Mosport Michael?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Good Points Mike! I'm a bit on the red side after Cayuga yesterday! I guess I got up there just after you had left ... most of the guys thought you had just gone to fill up with gas ... and so I waited, and waited

Nateel had a rough day, his Viper ACR started make some funny noises ... so his day ended early.

It was fun watching the two SPEED World Chanllenge GT tourning cars run around the track ... I was chatting with the team ... and it came in handy later ... they assessed Nateel's damage, and then helped the other Viper ACR (Red and Black) get some stones out of his back right tire after he had a little off road adventure.

Mark
Hey Mark -

Sorry I missed you.

I got a flat tire and ended up having to drive to Caledonia to the Can Tire (only place open on a Sunday). Fortunately, they were able to patch it.

The guy figured it was a small bolt, because there was still a hexagonal imprint in the tread around the hole when they took the wheel off (the bolt was long gone...).

Anyways, they had a line-up at the shop, so it wasn't until 4:00 that the car was ready to go, and I had to head home..

Sorry to hear about Nateel's car; hope it's nothing serious. Those are awesome beasts, those ACR's.

See you at the GTG on the 18th?

Michael

Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
Are we going to see you out at Mosport Michael?
Hey Greg -

Still under negotiation with Diana. She's not keen on it since she's heard a number of stories about crashes at Mosport on HPDE days (one forum guy last year, a client of mine who nearly wrecked a Carrera GT). She's convinced it's too dangerous, and I'm not pushing it because I'm having a lot of fun at Cayuga, and as I'm learning the track, I'm getting better.

Maybe someday...

Michael

Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Hey Mark -

Sorry I missed you.

I got a flat tire and ended up having to drive to Caledonia to the Can Tire (only place open on a Sunday). Fortunately, they were able to patch it.

The guy figured it was a small bolt, because there was still a hexagonal imprint in the tread around the hole when they took the wheel off (the bolt was long gone...).

Anyways, they had a line-up at the shop, so it wasn't until 4:00 that the car was ready to go, and I had to head home..

Sorry to hear about Nateel's car; hope it's nothing serious. Those are awesome beasts, those ACR's.

See you at the GTG on the 18th?

Michael

Sorry to hear about that Michael! I noticed in the stagging area at Cayuga, that there are a number of metal protrusions coming out of the pavement ... looks like they use to be metal posts or something ... I think they should repave that area, otherwise more of these high end cars are going to take unnecessary damage.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
speee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is their a website where I can read more on these events? Id like to try it out this summer. I used to go out to drag nights years ago with my GTP but haven't been back since.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
dasilvaszo6
Pro

Great information guys!!!

When Steve said it's not a race he wasen't kidding... I been to many trackdays (bikes) It is easy to get carried away, don't be afraid to miss a session and just watch others. You would be surprised just how much you can learn by watching and talking to the faster guys. Maybe even start in a slower group and build your speed slowly. I'm sure at the end of the day they will NOT be handing out trophy's. I will see you guys there for sure at some point this year, can't wait!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

Originally Posted by speee
is their a website where I can read more on these events? Id like to try it out this summer. I used to go out to drag nights years ago with my GTP but haven't been back since.
here you go. CLICK HERE
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a contact and am working on some really nice car camera's for anyone interested and will post up some pics hopefully soon and pricing. Pricing should come well under the $200 mark for these camera's which I am told retail at over $260. I'll keep you guys posted as Greg has been bugging the crap out of me about these things Hoping to come watch for an hour or two if I can
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I have a contact and am working on some really nice car camera's for anyone interested and will post up some pics hopefully soon and pricing. Pricing should come well under the $200 mark for these camera's which I am told retail at over $260. I'll keep you guys posted as Greg has been bugging the crap out of me about these things Hoping to come watch for an hour or two if I can
As long as they aren't those Go Pro ones...they are a real POS!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoping to come watch for an hour or two if I can
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

I seem to recall the deal was if I went to Cayuga, Mike would take his car onto Mosport....hmm...lets see...I went twice to Cayuga...hope you're a man of your word Mike!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
WYCKD 1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping to come watch for an hour or two if I can
Originally Posted by GettReal

Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 AM
RFE 300
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
I seem to recall the deal was if I went to Cayuga, Mike would take his car onto Mosport....hmm...lets see...I went twice to Cayuga...hope you're a man of your word Mike!
As a lawyer, I'm going to have to see that in writing...

Michael

P.S. I'm working on it...
Old 04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

As a lawyer, I'm going to have to see that in writing...

Michael

P.S. I'm working on it...
I was referring to the 'other' Mike on that one (cdnz06mike). But Michael, freel free to at least try to come out and see how well the Apex events are run.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Days 101 - Enter Here Newbies!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
'65 Fuelie
Racer

I won't have a car to take out there, but I will be sure to drop by after a "business meeting" out there

For everyone that has not had the experience of going out on HPDE days, you need to go to an event. They are controlled and extremely educational. Like Steve, Greg and the others say, you just go at the pace you need as you learn. You will learn more about the capabilities of your Corvette and your driving abilities than you ever imagined.

Do as the experienced folks and the instructors tell you. No egos...just an open mind. You will have a blast!

One warning....it is addictive
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Remember: Our Corvettes (C4's, C5's and C6's) are very potent track cars right out of the box ... so don't feel the need to go out and spend a ton of money on upgrades until you know that this is a hobby you want to invest a lot in.

You can have a great season on OEM parts, learning the line, and becoming a smooth driver ... I received a lot of comments from the guys at the end of the year about how much faster I had gotten over the sessions I attended ... I chalk it up to becoming smoother ... I didn't add any performance upgrades to my car, I added them to my driving!

Note: I don't mean to exclude the C1, C2 and C3 guys, but I have not seen any of those generation cars out at our track days ... so I can't speak from experience.
Hopefully I can get mine up there this year. The '68 C3 in the thread below broke his Class record at Sebring this year, this C3 has stock suspension, brakes, steering etc. C3's with stock everything except tires can be quite amazing for the age of the car. That being 40+ years old now

"The suspension is stock with plastic bushings and Moog ball joints. The front springs are 550 lbs we have street Bilstein front shocks that came with the car (need replacement) and QA-1 rears.

It has stock steering, brakes, and rear suspension. We have not changed any of the stock ball joint locations or pick up points or the shock mounting positions. We do use Willwood master cylinders but a stock pedal assembly. We run a combination steel and fiberglass rear leaf spring with no rear sway bar."

His is the white one coming around first halfway thru. The roof is chopped off for a roll bar and the exhaust is uncapped other than that it is basically stock 68 big block

Last edited by MotorHead; 04-07-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

I've added a couple of video's to the second posting of this thread ... funny but true!

Quick Reply: Track Days 101 - Enter Here Newbies!