Canadian Events Canada, eh?

GMPP wont cover HVAC parts????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
bario
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMPP wont cover HVAC parts????

I just took my '05 in due the the HVAC fan is stuck on one speed and the air only flows from the forward vents.
I have the GMPP "select" warranty.
The dealer told me that the HVAC "actuators" are bad and need replacing. Ths would involve tearing the dash out and would run 10 - 11 hours labour +parts. GMPP says the parts are not covered?? Any info??

They said it would cover almost any other part of the HVAC. The fan, evap, condensor, etc, but that the actuators will not be covered. seems odd since none of the other HVAC stuff does much good if the actuators are stuffed.

Can this really be correct??

Barry
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bario
I just took my '05 in due the the HVAC fan is stuck on one speed and the air only flows from the forward vents.
I have the GMPP "select" warranty.
The dealer told me that the HVAC "actuators" are bad and need replacing. Ths would involve tearing the dash out and would run 10 - 11 hours labour +parts. GMPP says the parts are not covered?? Any info??

They said it would cover almost any other part of the HVAC. The fan, evap, condensor, etc, but that the actuators will not be covered. seems odd since none of the other HVAC stuff does much good if the actuators are stuffed.

Can this really be correct??

Barry
Have you called GMPP to confirm? I would bitch and scream at customer service that I want my money back as this renders the plan USELESS! But that's just moi.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
bario
Instructor

Yeah I finally got a number for GMPP and called to bitch.

Too bad, so sad. Seems your new to you flagship Corvette has no heat or AC. No, sorry, the $3100.00 GMPP Select plan won't cover you. have a nice day.

So Now I have to fork out $1600-$1800 plus GST so that I can drive my new Vette in the 38 degree summer heat here in the Okanagan.

Not impressed at all. Took it off the road and put my 1994 Ford F150 back into service. I am on 3 weeks vacation and I am not about to blow my entire vacation fund just to have my new vehicle function correctly. I just spent a ton on the Vette & that crappy GMPP plan. Not spending my kids vacation fund to fix it now.
Maybe in September I will tackle pulling the dash out of the Vette and doing the job myself.

Going to try to cancel the GMPP to see if I can get a refund. I'll just use the funds to fix it if that happens, then put the rest in a "fix the Vette" account for future issues.

Barry

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
Have you called GMPP to confirm? I would bitch and scream at customer service that I want my money back as this renders the plan USELESS! But that's just moi.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:31 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bario
Yeah I finally got a number for GMPP and called to bitch.

Not spending my kids vacation fund to fix it now.
Maybe in September I will tackle pulling the dash out of the Vette and doing the job myself.

Going to try to cancel the GMPP to see if I can get a refund. I'll just use the funds to fix it if that happens, then put the rest in a "fix the Vette" account for future issues.

Barry
A wise decision. Best of luck. I also think that the dealer has much to do with this as they could have "buried the work".
Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

something is not adding up here,,,,,,this is a posting from the thread "gmpp" ,

Originally Posted by MOSPORT1
All I will tell you is that I am SO glad I bought the
GMPP. Ya I've shelled out a couple hundred for the
deductable, it's been worth it.
All it takes is one LITTLE thing and you'll be glad you did. I had an actuator in the HVAC way down in the dash the need replaced. The tab was up over 3gs!.
Now I see my steering box is leaking.. Took it into my regular mechanic,, he took one look and said,, he's glad I bought the warranty.
So ya one repair on a Corvette can easily cost what the
GMPP is worth.

I went through the same thing as you,,
should I,,shouldn't I?

Your call,,,,,
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
The Cripp
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"A wise decision. Best of luck. I also think that the dealer has much to do with this as they could have "buried the work"."

Oh?

How so?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cripp
"A wise decision. Best of luck. I also think that the dealer has much to do with this as they could have "buried the work"."

Oh?

How so?

maybe they found a problem with the evaporator core and the dash needed to come out anyway... wink wink...only to find that the core was ok and the actuators were junk... which were then replaced.

I think that's the kind of "buried the work" he means
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
smook
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bario, I've found different dealers may give you different answers.

Try a different dealer to honor the GMPP. You might get a different answer.

Please try the above. Repeat, till you are happy with the answer.
B.

Last edited by smook; 08-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

And these morons wonder what went wrong with the company, can't figure it out, screwed everyone and their dogs for decades and still went bankrupt

Same thing happened to me at the other one that went bankrupt, seems every time something went wrong with car it wasn't covered. I asked them to print out what was covered and they told me they couldn't print it out for me. And at the time I told them that things can change and if you treat customers like this even a huge company like this can go under and guess what happened ?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:47 AM
bario
Instructor

I thought of trying different dealers as well. Not much choice here though. Closest GM dealer is 65 Km away. They are a Corvette dealer. Next GM dealer is 130KM away. After that the only option is driving to Vancouver, where there are plenty of dealers, but then the expense of the trip and the hotels while checking them all out and waiting for the job to be done could be as much as coughing up for the repairs.

I also read the other post where the actuators were covered. I was on the phone with GMPP and I even mentioned this.

"No way that could have happened sir. The actuators are not covered"

Looks to me as if there will not be any chance unless I can bribe one of the two "local" dealers into finding a bad evaporator.........

Barry
Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Barry

I think you must have the cheaper GMPP program.
if you want to PM me your VIN I have a contact at my Chevy dealer that will look it up for you
following are his comments when i asked him about your situation:

The '05 C6 HVAC has 4 possible actuators. Which is failed specifically? I also need a VIN number to narrow the 'select' GMPP.

As we already know, 'select' is a far cry from 'total-plus' coverage and does not cover many wearables (like an actuator) that total plus does cover. This will be stated, with specifics, on his detail sheet that comes with every GMPP warranty.

If I can get some actual details, I can look into it.
VIN, which actuator(s), km on car.

Bob
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

You guys had me so spooked that I dug out my original contract. I even called WN for clarification. I had bought the GMPP Total with $100 deductible for 6 yrs and 100,000 km. According to my contact, there are different flavors which may explain why actuators or not covered. The Total package would cover this according to him.

Bario, I suggest that you confirm the type of GMPP you purchased and perhaps (if worth it), upgrade - if this is even an option at this point. Just my 2¢ worth
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

What a load of crap that is
Old 08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VETFEVER JACK
What a load of crap that is
Huh? Jack, do you mean our comments or GM's response? Not sure I follow.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
3Xvette
Burning Brakes

Huh? Jack, do you mean our comments or GM's response? Not sure I follow.
Yes Pierre you say that WN will cover this but wait until it breaks and see if they do.They would not want to loose your buisnes buy saying no but as we alll know they will fix what they want.Just my 2 cents worth

Steve,
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Respectfully guys, not many here are around to see the $300-$400K+ audits that the retailers get charged back for "burying work". I have PERSONLLY pulled TWO franchises from guys due to warranty fraud. So help me understand something...why the hell would a retailer risk his franchise for anyone? Now I am not trying to bitch and criticize but it is not the retailers fault. There are avenue's that can be explored here and I can also provide some guideance. Feel free to PM me Bario and I will gladly offer up some possible suggestions for you to consider that might offer a suitable solution. Cheers.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Here is what I pulled down from the Canadian GMPP website. I have also requested more details and will share once available.

The comprehensive Total 'Plus' Protection Plan coverage includes:
Gasoline Engine

Cylinder block, heads, all internally lubricated parts; manifolds; timing gears, timing chain/belt, timing cover; flywheel; oil pump/oil pump housing; water pump; fuel pump; fuel level sensor; harmonic balancer; OHC carriers; valve covers; oil pan; engine mount; seals and gaskets. Also covered are turbocharger/supercharger housings, internal parts, valves, intercooler, seals and gaskets.
Diesel Engine

All of the above listed parts, plus diesel fuel injection pump, lines, nozzles and vacuum pump.
Transmission/Transaxle

Case, all internal parts; torque converter; transfer case; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts; seals and gaskets.
Front/Rear Wheel Drive

Final drive housing, all internal parts; axle shafts and axle shaft bearings; constant velocity joints; axle housing, all internal parts; propeller shafts; universal joints; wheel bearings; locking hubs; front differential actuator; supports; front hub bearings and rear axle hub bearings; seals and gaskets.
Cooling and Fuel

Radiator, fan and clutch; cooling fan motor; fuel tank; fuel lines and fuel tank selector valve.
Steering

Gear housing and all internal parts; power steering pump; steering main and intermediate shafts, couplings; idler arm; pitman arm; power steering hoses; seals and gaskets.
Front Suspension

Upper and lower control arms; control arm shafts and bushings; upper and lower ball joints; king pins; steering knuckles; stabilizer shaft and stabilizer bushings.
Brakes

Master cylinder; assist boosters; wheel cylinders; combination valve; hydraulic lines and fittings; disc calipers; modulator valve/dump valve; pump motor assembly and accumulator; ABS Hydraulic Modulator, ABS module, sensors, relays, switches and solenoids; seals and gaskets.
Electrical

Starter motor and solenoid; alternator; distributor; wiring harnesses; instrument panel printed circuit boards; electronic instrument cluster; wiper motors; washer pump; manually operated electrical switches; electronic control module; body computer/control module; powertrain control module and ignition module.
Heater and Factory Installed Air Conditioner

Compressor; clutch and pulley; condenser; evaporator; accumulator; high/low pressure compressor cut-off switch; pressure cycling switch; heater core; blower motor; air conditioning hoses and seals.
Factory Installed High Tech Features

Automatic temperature control programmer; power windows; power door locks; power seat motors and adjusting mechanism; keyless entry system; electronic level control compressor; electronic level control compressor sensor and limiter valve; compass readout; thermometer readout; cruise control; power antenna; radio/cassette player/CD player; rear window defroster excluding glass.
A complete list of components covered by the
Total "Plus" Plan would require several pages.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP wont cover HVAC parts????

Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
66redster
Advanced

I own a 04 Zo6 and had a HVAC Temp. Actuator Code Number B0441 replaced last fall
covered under GMPP warranty with $100. Deductible
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is what I pulled down from the Canadian GMPP website. I have also requested more details and will share once available.

The comprehensive Total 'Plus' Protection Plan coverage includes:

Compressor; clutch and pulley; condenser; evaporator; accumulator; high/low pressure compressor cut-off switch; pressure cycling switch; heater core; blower motor; air conditioning hoses and seals.
Factory Installed High Tech Features

VERY SIMILAR FOR THE CHEAPER:
CUSTOM PLAN:

Heater and Factory Installed Air Conditioner

.....so likely the actuator is treated like tires..........not covered.........

Frank
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
bario
Instructor

Been away from an internet connection for a couple days.

Thanks for all the info that everyone here is providing. This forum is awesome!!

Here is some good news, The GM of the dealer got involved and although he could not change GMPP's mind he made a deal that I decided to accept. I pay the parts & the dealership will waive all the labour charges for the job. Everyone at the dealership was kind of surprised that this wasn't covered and they did not feel it was right to sell a car with this issue. They have decided to stand behind their sale and do the work for free. The parts are only about $250 and I would have paid $100 deductible so it's only $150 more out of my pocket.

The Vette went in yesterday and will be ready today. Timing was good as I am out of town until Wednesday and needed my pickup truck so I couldn't drive the Vette Until Wednesday anyway.

So although I am still not happy with the plan and may cancel it & put the cash in a vette account, I am very happy with how the dealership has dealt with this issue.

Still trying to determine why some seem to get covered and not others. I need to dig deeper to find out why I could not get the Total Plus plan. On the brochure it only lists Powertrain, Custom & Select, although the Total Plus is mentioned in very fine print & it says to see the totally separate total Plus brochure. The paperwork that I signed lists all 4 plans

If a mistake was made and I am eligable for Total Plus, and if I confirm with GMPP that this type of plan would have covered this and more, then I will demand the opportunity to upgrade to Total Plus even though it won't affect this repair this time. Otherwise, I may still just cash in my $3100 Select and bank the funds for the next breakdown.

Quick Reply: GMPP wont cover HVAC parts????