GM recall letter for importing a 2005 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 PM
prycless
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM recall letter for importing a 2005 Vette

Hi all.
I bought a 2005 Vette last year from aTexas Ford dealer and he provided the GM recall letter for RIV at the Ambassador Bridge. Now I have a neice that has her eye on a 2005 Vette in New York that is for sale from a private person. Can anyone advise how I can get that recall letter and would there be a cost?
Thx
Prycless

Last edited by prycless; 12-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
CanadaFI
Heel & Toe

you dont need to get it when your at the boarder, you need the recall letter when you go to the RIV or when you fax the RIV your information. you only need the title and bill of sale at the boarder.

Recall clearance letter's are free and can be had at any dealer ship. Walk into the dealer with its vin and they will provide you with the sheet.

Ive imported 4 vehicles from the states, its really not that tough.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:03 PM
CanadaFI
Heel & Toe

oh, and just to clearify a bit, RIV (Registrar of imported vehicles) is canadian, the neither the canadian or US boarder care about it. Only the registrar does.

You send the registrar your form's and recall clearance, then they give you a inspection check list for canadian tire to perform, after that you can register the car in which ever province, and have it saftied/e-tested.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
vettespur
Racer

GM Recall Clearance Letter
To get a GM Recall Clearance Letter you must contact your GM Canada or go to a GM dealership in the USA. This letter must have GM’s logo on it and state that there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle.

Getting a Recall Letter from GM Canada will cost about $250.

To obtain a GM recall letter, refer to the contact information below:

Toll free: 888-467-6853
Local (Oshawa): 905-440-7689
Fax: 905-440-7644

Address:
1189 COLONEL SAM DR
Oshawa, Ontario,
L1H 8W8
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

I've got them in the past when importing a vehicle by going to my local GMC dealer and asking. They print them out for free. Just need the title of the vehicle so they can verify the VIN.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdrive
I've got them in the past when importing a vehicle by going to my local GMC dealer and asking. They print them out for free. Just need the title of the vehicle so they can verify the VIN.
FOR SURE!!!!! Go to any dealership and ask for a printout on the VIN #.

NO money involved, GM HAS to provide a printout, FREE of charge. It's safety issue, same as recall letters.

VETTESPUR, if you paid money, "You've been had"
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdrive
This gets a bit confusing. A recall clearance letter can only be obtained from GM Canada at a very stupid cost. Also acceptable is a letter from a US GM dealer on their stationary stating that there are no recalls, at no cost to you if you can find one that will do it, or in most cases, a GM VIS report which is available at any GM service department (US or Canadian) by giving them your VIN and asking for a printout. I used a VIS report for one of my imports that was provided to me from Gene at GMPartshouse, a forum vendor. He has provided VIS reports to many forum members and you just have to pm him your info and he will email it to you.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by vettespur
GM Recall Clearance Letter
To get a GM Recall Clearance Letter you must contact your GM Canada or go to a GM dealership in the USA. This letter must have GM’s logo on it and state that there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle.

Getting a Recall Letter from GM Canada will cost about $250.

To obtain a GM recall letter, refer to the contact information below:

Toll free: 888-467-6853
Local (Oshawa): 905-440-7689
Fax: 905-440-7644

Address:
1189 COLONEL SAM DR
Oshawa, Ontario,
L1H 8W8
Easier way than that...Gene Cully (Forum vendor) @ Gene@gmpartshouse.com will e-mail you a VIS report free of charge if you email him the VIN.

***EDIT***
Grant, I was looking up his (Genes) e-mail and your post beat me!!!

Last edited by Racer; 09-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 AM
CanadaFI
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
This gets a bit confusing. A recall clearance letter can only be obtained from GM Canada at a very stupid cost. Also acceptable is a letter from a US GM dealer on their stationary stating that there are no recalls, at no cost to you if you can find one that will do it, or in most cases, a GM VIS report which is available at any GM service department (US or Canadian) by giving them your VIN and asking for a printout. I used a VIS report for one of my imports that was provided to me from Gene at GMPartshouse, a forum vendor. He has provided VIS reports to many forum members and you just have to pm him your info and he will email it to you.

The dealer gives me a print out with all recall's listed, the date the repairs were performed etc. All for free, ive done this 4 times, i personally go to the RIV each time i import a car to save on time, and every time they have said that is the exact sheet i need.

I see no reason anyone would ever need to pay someone or have someone in the states do it for them when your local dealer is more then willing to do it for free
Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 PM
04colyZQ8
Heel & Toe

Does this still hold true for Dec 02 2011 can I get a printout from GM USA for free? GM Canada will not do it and gave me over to vintage servies.. cost 270.00 + 16.95 if you want a copy!! ouch!!!!! on a 7 year old vehicle.. I am not trying to decieve local dealers on that old a vehicle.. they can kiss my bussiness good buy for parts.. I'll by them from the us and get them mailed to me.. for have the price! Oh and service work.. right.. not anymore thank you verry much!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

If you go to the service dept of your local GM dealer with a copy of the title they should print you out a list of recalls that have been completed on the car, or nothing if there were none. I've always gotten them for free. All they do is punch in the VIN and print it out. No different than if you brought a car in for recall work, they do the same check. If the dealer is confused or says no then go to another dealer.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Also if you get a letter from a dealer or Gm or whoever you can fax it to RIV and they will pre-approve it. That's even before you import the vehicle and your form1 is sent it. Just remember once its approved RIV needs the form 1 within 30 days ( OR you have to send in the recall again)...

Frank

ps- when they approve the recall you can call them and they will give you a confirmation number..........
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
04colyZQ8
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by frankmp
Also if you get a letter from a dealer or Gm or whoever you can fax it to RIV and they will pre-approve it. That's even before you import the vehicle and your form1 is sent it. Just remember once its approved RIV needs the form 1 within 30 days ( OR you have to send in the recall again)...

Frank

ps- when they approve the recall you can call them and they will give you a confirmation number..........
Ok thanks I sent a email to the one listed in this post and got a instant reply back wiht the info, also as a percaution the dealer I am buying from went to his freind at the US GM dealer and they printed one out, he then faxed that along with the title front and back, sales reciet, and the export form (is that a form 1), to the US boarder import export department.

I got a email back saying that the info was recieved, and the vehicle can be imported on Dec 06/2011

Am I all set?

So now dec 06 pay the dealer $38.00 for a 3 day vehicle transfer permit, get bonded inusrance from ICBC with vin only $99.00 for 30 days, covers you in the us and only for driving it to the inspection facialty. And while at home waiting for paper work.

Then when I roll into customs go into the kiosk pay the 195.00 R.I.V fee plus tax. fill out some paper work sumbit the origanl title and sales reciet. Drive it home.

Net day go to Canadain tire get it Fedrally and Provinically inspected, fedral is free pay $99.95 for provincial, and $100.00 ac exise tax, $5.oo per tire tax. Then I get my paper work mailed to me and I can go to ICBC and get regualr insurance?? Then after the first insurance policy is over (3 moths, 6 months, 1 year) Then I get it Aircared?

Am I missing anything? $553.00 total fees plus H.S.T on the sale price of the vehicle?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8

Am I missing anything?

Yes, telling us what you're getting other than saying its a 7 year old car

Frank
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM
04colyZQ8
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by frankmp
Yes, telling us what you're getting other than saying its a 7 year old car

Frank

LOL.. its a 2004 Chevrolet Z?? automatic victory red fully loaded, dark grey interior

Ok.. ok you got me its a 04 Chevy Colorado ZQ8 reg cab pickup.

That I will be swapping my LR4/LS2 higbird V8 into, I had a 04 red reg cab coloraod before that I swaped the V8 into then hit a tree, broke my foot.. totaled the truck, broke the ballencer, power steering pump, alt bracket, steering coloumn twisted the frame.

I came here looking for the ported LS2 intakes.. then a Z06 cam, and well now this helpful thread about importing.. I do wish I had a corvette though.. maybe that counts for something?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

Ok thanks I sent a email to the one listed in this post and got a instant reply back wiht the info, also as a percaution the dealer I am buying from went to his freind at the US GM dealer and they printed one out, he then faxed that along with the title front and back, sales reciet, and the export form (is that a form 1), to the US boarder import export department.

I got a email back saying that the info was recieved, and the vehicle can be imported on Dec 06/2011

Am I all set?

So now dec 06 pay the dealer $38.00 for a 3 day vehicle transfer permit, get bonded inusrance from ICBC with vin only $99.00 for 30 days, covers you in the us and only for driving it to the inspection facialty. And while at home waiting for paper work.

Then when I roll into customs go into the kiosk pay the 195.00 R.I.V fee plus tax. fill out some paper work sumbit the origanl title and sales reciet. Drive it home.

Net day go to Canadain tire get it Fedrally and Provinically inspected, fedral is free pay $99.95 for provincial, and $100.00 ac exise tax, $5.oo per tire tax. Then I get my paper work mailed to me and I can go to ICBC and get regualr insurance?? Then after the first insurance policy is over (3 moths, 6 months, 1 year) Then I get it Aircared?

Am I missing anything? $553.00 total fees plus H.S.T on the sale price of the vehicle?

Hold on Big Guy.....Go slow here
1. "Who" is the border import export department? ..US customs?
2. Not sure on the 3 day permit, someone else may clarify
3. YOUR insurance company SHOULD cover you, no problem..
4. YOU keep the ORIGINAL ownership and sales receipt to buy your license tags here in Ontario....
5.. Car needs a safety and emissions test, once you have this done, you can go get your plates from the license office. You DON'T have to wait for the paperwork from RIV....
6. Tire tax??? This is a new one to me....Someone else can clarify

**7** PHOTOCOPY EVERY DOCUMENT AND KEEP THE COPIES SEPARATE........*****

8. Add additional charges for safety, E test.....

HTH
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Overdrive
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT1vette
4. YOU keep the ORIGINAL ownership and sales receipt to buy your license tags here in Ontario....
He said ICBC... he must be on the left coast.

Get notified of new replies

To GM recall letter for importing a 2005 Vette

Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 AM
04colyZQ8
Heel & Toe

Hold on Big Guy.....Go slow here
1. "Who" is the border import export department? ..US customs?
2. Not sure on the 3 day permit, someone else may clarify
3. YOUR insurance company SHOULD cover you, no problem..
5.. Car needs a safety and emissions test, once you have this done, you can go get your plates from the license office. You DON'T have to wait for the paperwork from RIV....
6. Tire tax??? This is a new one to me....Someone else can clarify

**7** PHOTOCOPY EVERY DOCUMENT AND KEEP THE COPIES SEPARATE........*****

8. Add additional charges for safety, E test.....

HTH

1. "Who" is the border import export department? ..US customs? U.S Customs & Border Protection Vehicle/Equipment Export office blaine washington, right near the Pac Highway border Blaine, WA Surry B..C Canada
2. Not sure on the 3 day permit, someone else may clarify They say becasue they pull the plates.. so I don't pay washington state tax, they remove the plates and submit them back to the sates they usually stay wiht the vehicle for life. Vehicle transfer permit is just vehicle identification for the cops etc.. no insurance I can't walk into ICBC wihtout a regi and get a permit for the states
3. YOUR insurance company SHOULD cover you, no problem.. With what? I have no insurance why would they cover me? Or do you mean after I by the bonded insurance all they need is the vin, amount vehicle is worth no paper work.
4. YOU keep the ORIGINAL ownership and sales receipt to buy your license tags here in Ontario.... Supossidly the border holds the title untill the federal inspection and recall letter has been completed then they mail you a Canadain title, ICBC will not acept a U.S title?
5.. Car needs a safety and emissions test, once you have this done, you can go get your plates from the license office. You DON'T have to wait for the paperwork from RIV.... E test? You mean air care? would be nice not to thave to wait maybe that is true.. maybe the don't mail the titel either hard to find the truth. Air care is not needed, untill after the first term of insurance ends.
6. Tire tax??? This is a new one to me....Someone else can clarify Yeah this isn't even listed on the R.I.V site? Canadain Tire the authorized contracted federal R.I.V inspection center, told me this?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
LT1vette
Burning Brakes

1. "Who" is the border import export department? ..US customs? U.S Customs & Border Protection Vehicle/Equipment Export office blaine washington, right near the Pac Highway border Blaine, WA Surry B..C Canada
2. Not sure on the 3 day permit, someone else may clarify They say becasue they pull the plates.. so I don't pay washington state tax, they remove the plates and submit them back to the sates they usually stay wiht the vehicle for life. Vehicle transfer permit is just vehicle identification for the cops etc.. no insurance I can't walk into ICBC wihtout a regi and get a permit for the states
3. YOUR insurance company SHOULD cover you, no problem.. With what? I have no insurance why would they cover me? Or do you mean after I by the bonded insurance all they need is the vin, amount vehicle is worth no paper work.
4. YOU keep the ORIGINAL ownership and sales receipt to buy your license tags here in Ontario.... Supossidly the border holds the title untill the federal inspection and recall letter has been completed then they mail you a Canadain title, ICBC will not acept a U.S title?
5.. Car needs a safety and emissions test, once you have this done, you can go get your plates from the license office. You DON'T have to wait for the paperwork from RIV.... E test? You mean air care? would be nice not to thave to wait maybe that is true.. maybe the don't mail the titel either hard to find the truth. Air care is not needed, untill after the first term of insurance ends.
6. Tire tax??? This is a new one to me....Someone else can clarify Yeah this isn't even listed on the R.I.V site? Canadain Tire the authorized contracted federal R.I.V inspection center, told me this?
Hi... Not meaning to lead you astray, I have brought a car back from Mich. to Ontario, so I can speak with some experience.
I know on any "given" day the rules change crossing the border. Each agent interprets rules differently, and, some rules may have changed since 2009....

I didn't drive my car across, I trailered it with Mich. plates on it.
Do you not have a car insured with a company now? If you do, they should cover that car with "just a phone call," with the VIN and value.
"Tire tax" sounds like a scam... You can buy tires in the US within your duty free limit and import them with no tax.

Didn't realize you were from the left coast...In Ont.you need an Emissions test to change hands on the ownership.

Original ownership...In Ont. you need the ownership, to change the ownership!! Plain, simple. Doesn't matter from where, 48 states, 10 provinces. On the US ownership, there should be a section to transfer the ownership, usually the back half of the ownership. The owner keeps half, you get the other half and maybe the plates..
EG...personlaized plates, he may want to keep them.

ICBC?? Brit. Col insurance bureau?

Do your research, this is one topic you can't know enough about!!

Because, when you get to the border, they may not know the answers.....

Hopefully some more BC residents will jump in to help you...

Good Luck
Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 AM
04colyZQ8
Heel & Toe

Hi... Not meaning to lead you astray, I have brought a car back from Mich. to Ontario, so I can speak with some experience. No Problem.. nice to have input
I know on any "given" day the rules change crossing the border. Each agent interprets rules differently, and, some rules may have changed since 2009.... True

I didn't drive my car across, I trailered it with Mich. plates on it.
Do you not have a car insured with a company now? NO If you do, they should cover that car with "just a phone call," with the VIN and value.
"Tire tax" sounds like a scam... You can buy tires in the US within your duty free limit and import them with no tax. Hope fully thier wrong about it but it is only 20.00

Didn't realize you were from the left coast...In Ont.you need an Emissions test to change hands on the ownership. I am from Ontario my self, never had emissions tests ten no wait 15 years ago

Original ownership...In Ont. you need the ownership, to change the ownership!! Plain, simple. Doesn't matter from where, 48 states, 10 provinces. On the US ownership, there should be a section to transfer the ownership, usually the back half of the ownership. The owner keeps half, you get the other half and maybe the plates..
EG...personlaized plates, he may want to keep them. From what I understand on a phone call today is I get the title, a form 1 that the baorder agency stamps . Then I get it inspected in Canada at Canadain Tire, then they give it another stamp. As soon as you have two stamps you drive it to a insurance agentacy for ICBC, they will verify the vin and print out the ownership, then I can isnure it.
ICBC?? Brit. Col insurance bureau? Insurance Coproration of British Columbia Also known as "Icky Bicky" it is run by the government

Do your research, this is one topic you can't know enough about!!

Because, when you get to the border, they may not know the answers.....

Hopefully some more BC residents will jump in to help you...

Good Luck
Thanks

Quick Reply: GM recall letter for importing a 2005 Vette