Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Campbell Automotive, Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Dik
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Campbell Automotive, Edmonton

I plan to get a dyno-tune this spring. My main goal is to spark-up my A6. I'll take the additional hp and fuel economy as a bonus.

I've considered a very reputable shop in Calgary but I prefer a local shop just in case there is follow up service required. After some searching, talking and reading about "shops" I stopped in to Campbell Automotive to say hi and look around. I met Mark, we had a short chat and am pleased with how it went. Mark seems to be the easy-going type and is pretty modest about their past Corvette work.

This is a huge step out for me. I (almost) always regret after-market mods or non OEM parts and I do not stray far from GM service with any of our vehicles.

So I have to ask if anyone on the forum has experience with Campbell Automotive in Edmonton?

TIA

Dick
Old 01-23-2011, 11:16 AM
OutlawZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You tend to hear good and Bad about everyone. I had a Friend that had a bad experience at Campbell last year. Not really sure on the details anymore or what ended up happening. I know one of there Younger Mechanic's does good work for sure.

I had my Car tuned at Horse Power Solutions on the North Side, Neil Treated me Great and helped me sort out a few of my Problems i was having.

http://www.horsepowersolutions.ca/

Good Luck
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Fast Reply! Thanks

Never heard of them but I will make trip to meet them.

You say they are "new". One reason I like Campbell is they have been in business about 30 years and have substantial Corvette experience.

I've had my car (2006) just over a year and I've had zero issues. If my car displays an engine code after wards I will consider the tune a failure, get p!ssed off and probably back out.

I will not tolerate any introduced issues. Considering the higher mileage and lack of maintenance by the previous owner, my car has been trouble-free. But this is nothing new to me and my experience with GM products.

Dick
Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Dik
Instructor

Default Problems?

Originally Posted by OutlawZ06
I had my Car tuned at Horse Power Solutions on the North Side, Neil Treated me Great and helped me sort out a few of my Problems i was having.
Care to tell us more? What did HP do for you?

Dick
Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
OutlawZ06
Advanced

Neil at HPS Runs the Fastest Street car shootout In Edmonton and attends most of the Racing event's. His new car is a LSX twin Turbo in a Cream Colored Mercury Zephyr that runs 8's in the 150+ range. The cars going to be featured in a few magazine and books from what I've heard around. Also just to be clear He Drives the car everywhere, I've been on a few cruises with him last summer it's amazing how well the car drives. He's pretty well Know around Edmonton for building some really Fast cars that are easy to Drive and Stay together.

For me he sorted out some issues i had with the car pulling timing from the previous Tune and netted me some extra HP not at the expense of Readability which i really am trying to keep on this car. He tuned my car on a Weekend when he wasn't suppose to be working no less and took the time to explain what he was trying to do.

Like i said i don't think you can go wrong with either one i just figured I'd mention HPS as well. There reputation is very good from all accounts. I think they have been around since 07... or in there, Neil himself worked at other Performance shops before going out on his own and basically Crushing the Competition.

good Luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

No matter where you go you need to do 2 things

1) Have them save the original tune and send you the file. You can always go back to it if you are not satisfied with the new tune.

2) Ask if they lock their tunes, if they do choose another tuner.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Dik
Instructor

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet

1) Have them save the original tune and send you the file. You can always go back to it if you are not satisfied with the new tune.

Excellent and thanks for this advice.

Dick
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
0260IN3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dik
I plan to get a dyno-tune this spring. My main goal is to spark-up my A6. I'll take the additional hp and fuel economy as a bonus.

I've considered a very reputable shop in Calgary but I prefer a local shop just in case there is follow up service required. After some searching, talking and reading about "shops" I stopped in to Campbell Automotive to say hi and look around. I met Mark, we had a short chat and am pleased with how it went. Mark seems to be the easy-going type and is pretty modest about their past Corvette work.

This is a huge step out for me. I (almost) always regret after-market mods or non OEM parts and I do not stray far from GM service with any of our vehicles.

So I have to ask if anyone on the forum has experience with Campbell Automotive in Edmonton?

TIA

Dick
Nice talking to you as well. If you have any more questions don't hesitate........... we are here to help.

Remember we can fix up that A6 real nice to enhance the feel even more.

Mark
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM
dasilvaszo6
Pro

Originally Posted by Dik

TIA

Dick
Save youself the trouble and just go to corvettes of westchester.
Chuck cow, he also does email stuff with datalogging which will be important. Chuck tunes a car using similar parametrers like gm. you wont be dissapointed.

Frank
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Good advice!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRNZ06
Good advice!
X3
gotta wonder about the lock tune guys. do not trust those that do. Gotta wonder why they would.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
0260IN3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jutskin
X3
gotta wonder about the lock tune guys. do not trust those that do. Gotta wonder why they would.
I agree. We never lock any tunes.......... what is there to hide?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

People lock tunes for a few reasons,

1) they don't know what they are doing and they want to hide their work
2) advanced tuners don't want people to " copy" their techniques or work that they have invested time in developing.
3) You are forced to go back to them for everything.

You say Mark is modest, that is a great quality in tuning you never know it all.
There is always something to learn and new parameter to tune. Be weary of the guys who are know it alls!

enjoy!

PS you didn't mention what mods you have?

Last edited by 79 Bullet; 02-01-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thanks Dude!

Originally Posted by dasilvaszo6
Save youself the trouble and just go to corvettes of westchester.
Chuck cow, he also does email stuff with datalogging which will be important. Chuck tunes a car using similar parametrers like gm. you wont be dissapointed.

Frank
Thanks Dude!

Chuck CoW
Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 AM
baxterboy
Instructor

Dick, to wake up the A6 I would look at changing the differential from the 2.56 to a 3.42 then get a Chuck Cow EFI live based tune. He can tweak this to whatever you desire. Nice to be able to email files back and forth. I have a supercharged 08 coupe and installed a 3.42 pumkin, then had Chuck email me a tune. Nice setup.

Last edited by baxterboy; 02-02-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Let me say it again!!!!!

Originally Posted by baxterboy
Dick, to wake up the A6 I would look at changing the differential from the 2.56 to a 3.42 then get a Chuck Cow EFI live based tune. He can tweak this to whatever you desire. Nice to be able to email files back and forth. I have a supercharged 08 coupe and installed a 3.42 pumkin, then had Chuck email me a tune. Nice setup.
LET ME SAY IT AGAIN.... Having an EFI LIVE V2 cable is Freekin' COOL!

Having an inexpensive AutoCal is Freekin' AMAZING!

Like the man said... Anywhere you are....ANY COUNTRY, any State...

I can just e-mail you a tune and you're in business!

THEN, we do some datalogging and.... YOU DA' MAN!

AutoCal!
Chuck CoW
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Dik
Instructor

Default Mods = Corsa Extreme

PS you didn't mention what mods you have?
Pretty simple. I'm running with Corsa Extreme pipes and a VaraRam intake. I'm really happy with the stock C6 convertible platform but I cannot state loud enough that the Corsa is amazing.

I've read about CoW and am blown away with the amount of satisfied customers. Chuck, if I was the original owner I'd have no problem with your "mail-order" tune or even make a road-trip to meet you. But I think the previous owner did not take care of the car very well and there may be under-lying issues (disabled sensors, etc.) that I am not aware of yet. Some up-front investigation may be required or possibly follow-up work, so establishing a good relationship with a local guy is a priority for me.

Aaaaaaand when it comes to mods I'm a cautious kind of guy.

Hi Mark. When I started this thread I wondered if you were a member.

Dick

Get notified of new replies

To Campbell Automotive, Edmonton

Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been to Campbell just to look around, (a couple of years ago). They were recommended to me by Joey's Place when he painted my brake calipers and rotor hats.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:16 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Dik,
I have heard the radio adds about Cambell...It's got me thinking too.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Dik
Instructor

Default Too Much Time ...

Originally Posted by 08 vet
Hi Dik,
I have heard the radio adds about Cambell...It's got me thinking too.
Hey Brad.

So how's the roads in the capital city? I can drive my car here up north.

Now I'm considering CoW due to the fact that I can get both vehicles tuned for the price of one. My new truck also has the A6 with a tap-shift option similar to the paddles in my car. Yup, the factory tranny tune is slow in the truck as well.

Nothing wrong with Campbell, I'm just still "kicking tires"....

There's still lots of time to make my decision so no panic yet.

Dick

Quick Reply: Campbell Automotive, Edmonton