Good service in S. Ontario?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
pontiyak
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Good service in S. Ontario?

Hi
Brought a 2008 C6 back from Florida in Dec. It's persisting with the "No Fobs Detected" problem and it looks like I'll have to take it to a dealership for service when the snow's gone. Can anyone recommend a dealer that has impressed you with their service and technical knowledge of late Corvettes?
Thanks
Bill.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM
LIVIO
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bill, I have always used Wilson-Niblett Chevrolet in Richmond Hill without any issues but this may be too much of a drive for you.

Livio
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM
2003yukondenali
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has any suggestions in the Windsor/Chatham/London area let me know also.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003yukondenali
If anyone has any suggestions in the Windsor/Chatham/London area let me know also.
You may want to contact a local corvette club. They would be able to give you assistance.
http://www.corvetteclubofwindsor.com/

or

http://www.corvetteswo.com/index.html

Good Luck
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

did you try disconnecting the battery? Does GM have a trouble shooting website?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiyak
Hi
Brought a 2008 C6 back from Florida in Dec. It's persisting with the "No Fobs Detected" problem and it looks like I'll have to take it to a dealership for service when the snow's gone. Can anyone recommend a dealer that has impressed you with their service and technical knowledge of late Corvettes?
Thanks
Bill.
This is probably a stupid question but this happens with both fobs? Also make sure your car battery is fully charged or you will get that message also.

Last edited by Cdn Z06 Mike; 02-08-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM
C6SUMMER
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi
Thanks
Bill.
Bill, I had this same issue with my C6 for the first year that I had the car. Had no issues with the fobs except when the vette was parked in my own garage.

Took it to the dealer happens to be "Wilson-Niblett" and they could fine nothing wrong. A few weeks later it was bugging me so much because to start the car in the garage I had to put the fob in the glove box to be recognized.

Problem was finally solved by shutting the entire power in the house of, something was interfering with the signal. As it turned out it was my wife's mastercraft garage door opener that was causing the interference. It had nothing to do with the Vette. Don't know if your problem is similar but It drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
pontiyak
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi again. I have posted the whole story on this car in the C6 General forum. It can be found by searching "No Fob Detected -Dead Battery/"
It should be interesting to all of us inhabitants of The Great White North.
My first posting indicated that I was suspicious that my problem was temperature related and in my most recent, I told how the problems totally disappeared with the recent Feb. thaw and ambient temps of 10deg C.
Back when I was working, we regularly used some pretty high priced electronic equipment in less than ideal, industrial conditions. We always made sure the instruments were warm and cozy before using them. A lot of jokes were made regarding "California Electronics"
It's not so common today, but 10-20 years ago, many electronic devices just quit when temperatures got down in the freezing range.
I have spent many hours reading threads posted in the general discussion and there is no end of postings regarding problems getting into C6s, getting the Fobs recognized and starting and shutting down. For whatever reason, not everyone posting indicates where they are located, but many of the people with problems are located in the cooler regions.
Usually, the problems are blamed on low batteries, both main and Fob. Replacing them cures some problems while others, like mine are not. If batteries don't cure the problems, the blame is usually placed on the RCDLR module and I now believe that to be correct. However, I think the problem resides in some component of the module that just does not like low temps and at some threshhold, stops functioning.
There may be a few of us out there that actually drive our cars in the winter and others, like me who fire them up periodically. I'm wondering how many have experienced glitches from time to time as temperatures vary.
Bill.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
harleyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003yukondenali
Definetly DO NOT go to DANE KANE!!!! in Windsor Ont.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

There is a service bulletin out on this problem for all 2005 - 2008 Corvettes that involves re-programming the RCDLR.

"Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of an occasional "No Fob Detected" message displayed on the DIC when the fob is located somewhere on the drivers seat. They also may comment that the fob reminder (3 horn honks) is heard when exiting the vehicle with the key fob. This is because the original RCDLR software does not adequately cover the drivers seat and it can also detect the fob when it is slightly outside the drivers door. The new software will add a new zone to better cover the drivers seat, and it will also add a 2 second delay after the door closes before checking the fob on the interior."

Might be part of your problem. The service bulletin is #PIC4642A.
For 2008 Corvettes the new software version is 25927326.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-21-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanx for the service bulletin info Grant.I have a new fob that has to be programmed.I have one that cracked/split open for no particular reason sitting in the drawer of my desk.Bought a new one from Ken Fitchner Chev that'll have to be programmed this spring.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi
Thanks
Bill.
I have a set of 08 service manuals if I can be of any help.Off topic,I spent a few "memorable"summers in Cloyne in my past Hydro One helicopter days.Ahhh...the memories......hic..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Instead of taking it to the dealer to have your fob programmed you might be able to do it yourself. Recently bought a fob for my DD and they sent instructions on how to do it myself. It was something crazy like open the pass door, turn ign on, turn on headlights scratch head etc etc it was like a 10 step process but it worked. I was able to program all my remotes

Get notified of new replies

To Good service in S. Ontario?

Quick Reply: Good service in S. Ontario?