Canadian Events Canada, eh?

paying tax in Ontario-from Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default paying tax in Ontario-from Alberta

IF a dealer in Ont. imported in a US C6 and has it now in their inventory and I wanted to buy it and ship to AB would I have to pay the full HST, or just GST or neither? When I bought buy 07 new from a Toronto dealer it was only GST?

thanks Frank

ps-I assume gst was paid when it was brought across the border......
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

no more GST or PST it's all just HST now - only 1 tax.....in the past you would pay the PST portion in the province of registration, and GST to the dealer, for dealers it makes no diff as we get it all back regardless
the dealer would have paid the GST at the border when he brought it in if it was prior to the HST and would claim it back...you would be responsible for the full tax amount GST and PST as a private purchaser if you bought it prior to the HST
if he imported the car after the HST took effect he would have paid the total HST amount at the border, once again claiming it back and you would still be responsible for paying the HST

Last edited by dankhts; 03-01-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
no more GST or PST it's all just HST now - only 1 tax.....in the past you would pay the PST portion in the province of registration, and GST to the dealer, for dealers it makes no diff as we get it all back regardless
the dealer would have paid the GST at the border when he brought it in if it was prior to the HST and would claim it back...you would be responsible for the full tax amount GST and PST as a private purchaser if you bought it prior to the HST
if he imported the car after the HST took effect he would have paid the total HST amount at the border, once again claiming it back and you would still be responsible for paying the HST
Actually there is still GST at the border, which pertains to commercial importers who pay 5% excluding Quebec. Also importer of automobiles (personal or dealers) will pay GST at border and PST at MOT.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I imported my LT4 this past Feb. 12th, only GST was collected at Canada Customs and I anticipate paying PST when I get plates.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you pay taxes that you would normally pay in AB (5%) as long as the car is shipped to you there. If you take possession in ON then you would be charged HST (13%). Best to call your Min of Trans office and ask them.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdrive
I believe you pay taxes that you would normally pay in AB (5%) as long as the car is shipped to you there. If you take possession in ON then you would be charged HST (13%). Best to call your Min of Trans office and ask them.
You are correct!!! Finally got hold of the Tax folks pertaining to this matter. THey indicated if I bought the car from the dealer and "I" picked it up and drove it back OR arranged transportation back to AB then I would have to pay them HST. If the dealer looks after transportation to AB then I only pay gst.......

thanks for your inputs!!

Frank

ps- I think they said the PST portion could be rebated later using a certain form once car was back in AB........
Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

You would just have to get it shipped out of ON, unfortunately in a westerly direction that's a long way so it might as well go all the way to AB.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
0TFX INTERNATIONAL
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Overdrive
You would just have to get it shipped out of ON, unfortunately in a westerly direction that's a long way so it might as well go all the way to AB.
We can help!

www.tfxinternational.com
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JPEAK
Actually there is still GST at the border, which pertains to commercial importers who pay 5% excluding Quebec. Also importer of automobiles (personal or dealers) will pay GST at border and PST at MOT.
This is correct. Mine was brought in yesterday. GST at the border, PST tomorrow when i plate it.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
jarredsoon
Instructor

Just hurry up and buy it so we can be corvette brothers again this summer!

Get notified of new replies

To paying tax in Ontario-from Alberta

Quick Reply: paying tax in Ontario-from Alberta