Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Ontario Car Insurance 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ontario Car Insurance 101

Ok here are the facts, not opinions, facts. If you work in the insurance industry and want to debate this, great. If not, don't bother, but feel free to post questions.

If you take your car to the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or to a mile event, you have no insurance coverage. End of discussion on that....don't care what you 'think' about it, it's the way it is.

If you take your car to a road course and provided it's not an actual race, provided there are instructors there and provided it's not an 'open lapping' event.....you have coverage if you smack up your car with most insurance companies.

If you install an aftermarket supercharger, turbo or nitrous on your car, there's a very strong chance you've just voided your insurance policy and/or you risk being cancelled for non disclosure if you don't tell them....then you get to pay really high premiums for the next 3 years regardless of the car you drive.

If you don't want to tell your insurance company, that's your choice. But at least you're informed so don't complain later.

Feel free to make some calls today with 'what if questions' to various insurance companies...you'll be surprised how hard it is to insure your modified vehicles, regardless of how long a client you've been, regardless of how 'great' a client you think you are....

This is the reality of the system and if you want to post a negative comment like a 12 year old...go ahead, I'm available all day today to respond.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 AM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
Ok here are the facts, not opinions, facts. If you work in the insurance industry and want to debate this, great. If not, don't bother, but feel free to post questions.

If you take your car to the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or to a mile event, you have no insurance coverage. End of discussion on that....don't care what you 'think' about it, it's the way it is.

If you take your car to a road course and provided it's not an actual race, provided there are instructors there and provided it's not an 'open lapping' event.....you have coverage if you smack up your car with most insurance companies.

If you install an aftermarket supercharger, turbo or nitrous on your car, there's a very strong chance you've just voided your insurance policy and/or you risk being cancelled for non disclosure if you don't tell them....then you get to pay really high premiums for the next 3 years regardless of the car you drive.

If you don't want to tell your insurance company, that's your choice. But at least you're informed so don't complain later.

Feel free to make some calls today with 'what if questions' to various insurance companies...you'll be surprised how hard it is to insure your modified vehicles, regardless of how long a client you've been, regardless of how 'great' a client you think you are....

This is the reality of the system and if you want to post a negative comment like a 12 year old...go ahead, I'm available all day today to respond.
We have a customer with an 05 corvette with supercharger and he was worried about no insurance. We gave him the contact for one of the speciality companies that insure modified vehicle.
Also you are right about road course coverage on instructor day, one of our customers crashed his 06 Z06 at mosport and insurance payed out $70000+
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been on the car scene for 45 years, have become aware of this stuff over the years and live with it accordingly.

Been involved with Mosport driver training lapping days and know (of) wipe-outs that were covered by insurance

Some of the younger monied "know it all"s think they have it figured out ; loading there cars up with this sh!# - I love to hear when they get smacked by reality LOL
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
FFIN90
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================ From Toronto ================ 9/11/01 FDNY 343 R.I.P.
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'13-'14

If you install an aftermarket supercharger, turbo or nitrous on your car, there's a very strong chance you've just voided your insurance policy and/or you riskcanceledncelled for non disclosure if you don't tell them....then you get to pay really high premiums for the next 3 years regardless of the car you drive.

Thanks for the thread Greg. My previous insurance company didn't care what it was called you were doing if it was on a track you were NOT covered.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thread Greg. Not that I'm supercharging my C3 but it's good to know.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Good info Greg, especially coming from someone in the biz and knows what he's talking about
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Just for not disclosing or if there is an accident?

regardless of how long a client you've been, regardless of how 'great' a client you think you are....
Yes, anyone who thinks being a loyal customer means anything is fooling themselves.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread!

Hopefully this one doesn't end up disappearing into the forum's "Land-of-the-Lost-and-deleted" threads, because someone with a conflict of interest, doesn't want this information easily accessible.

Mark
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM
OBSESHON Mark
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info Greg. Just saved myself a pile of $.
Guess I'll just have to buy a C7
Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info Greg.

A couple of questions:

First: I assume auto-slaloms are condidered in the same way as drag racing, which is to say not covered.

Second: If you participate in these types of events and your insurance company finds out will your policy be cancelled or renewal refused? If this happens you are in the facilities market, right?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh
Great thread!

Hopefully this one doesn't end up disappearing into the forum's "Land-of-the-Lost-and-deleted" threads, because someone with a conflict of interest, doesn't want this information easily accessible.

Mark
Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Makes me laugh when I hear someone is trying to find an insurance provider for 100+ supercharged cars....there is a company it's called Facility Association. And the rates are brutal!

If there was a company insterested in doing this, I'd know about it....because I've asked for the last 4 years about it...no one will touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Funny how a wanna be now thinks they know something about insurance....100+ cars won't cut it...any insurance company will laugh and say....that's how many cars we write across Ontario by 9:30am each morning....the insurance company would need to have in excess of $10,000,000 in premium from a program such as this.....but hey what do I know I'm only a licensed insurance professional not a wannabee.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Just for not disclosing or if there is an accident?

You are obligated to advise your insurance company of any changes to your vehicle that may effect their willingness to continue insuring it....section 1.4.1 of your policy.

Originally Posted by FireRoc
Thanks for the info Greg.

A couple of questions:

First: I assume auto-slaloms are condidered in the same way as drag racing, which is to say not covered.

Second: If you participate in these types of events and your insurance company finds out will your policy be cancelled or renewal refused? If this happens you are in the facilities market, right?

Thanks
It really depends on your company and how you 'sell' it to them. If you tell them you're doing 10+ events a year, they might have a problem with it. If you sell it as a learning event, it normall isn't a problem.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:37 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You are obligated to advise your insurance company of any changes to your vehicle that may effect their willingness to continue insuring it....section 1.4.1 of your policy.
So, why does that mean you pay high rates for the next 3 years?

I'd think you'd be paying the higher rates to insure the vehicle somewhere else for as long as you own it.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope this thread doesn't disappear.

Some good info here.

There is really no point in name calling or pointing fingers. the situation is what it is.
Can it be changed? Maybe, but until there is an insurer willing to take on these supercharged cars you'd have to be foolish to take a chance.
It would be bad enough if you wrote-off the car and they didn't cover it.
How about you hit someone and disable them for life and were denied coverage.
You could potentially be on the hook for millions of dollars.
Yes that is the worst case scenario, but isn't that what insurance is there for?

We should soon know if insurance of any kind is available for supercharged cars, and at what price.
Then an informed decision can be made.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
So, why does that mean you pay high rates for the next 3 years?

I'd think you'd be paying the higher rates to insure the vehicle somewhere else for as long as you own it.
If the company cancels you for non disclosure then you could end up in the high risk market for 3 years, regardless of the car you drive. If you continue to drive a car that doesn't meet the 'standard' appetite, then you could be in the high risk market for as long as you own the car.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hzz
Hope this thread doesn't disappear.

Some good info here.

There is really no point in name calling or pointing fingers. the situation is what it is.
Can it be changed? Maybe, but until there is an insurer willing to take on these supercharged cars you'd have to be foolish to take a chance.
It would be bad enough if you wrote-off the car and they didn't cover it.
How about you hit someone and disable them for life and were denied coverage.
You could potentially be on the hook for millions of dollars.
Yes that is the worst case scenario, but isn't that what insurance is there for?

We should soon know if insurance of any kind is available for supercharged cars, and at what price.
Then an informed decision can be made.
I've been trying for over 4 years to find a market to insure these cars....because after all....I'm in business to write policies....but I can't...and companies just aren't willing to budge.

Get notified of new replies

To Ontario Car Insurance 101

Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

I've been trying for over 4 years to find a market to insure these cars....because after all....I'm in business to write policies....but I can't...and companies just aren't willing to budge.
I believe you, but maybe someone else can get them covered.

We will soon find out, hopefully.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Sounds like someone is tired of being beatin' on the road by supercharged cars.

(how's that for a 12 yr old's response)

I cant speak for you guys in Canada, but this entire thread is complete BS in the good ol' USA.

We send our bills to insurance companies when requested for proof of install for customers and they are 100% insured for theft etc afterwards.
On track requires track insurance, but we have had more then one customer total his car on the road course and was paid in full by Gieco without track insurance. That was without letting them know of the mods prior, and they were paid for them afterwards once receipts were provided.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:59 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Sounds like someone is tired of being beatin' on the road by supercharged cars.

(how's that for a 12 yr old's response)

I cant speak for you guys in Canada, but this entire thread is complete BS in the good ol' USA.

We send our bills to insurance companies when requested for proof of install for customers and they are 100% insured for theft etc afterwards.
On track requires track insurance, but we have had more then one customer total his car on the road course and was paid in full by Gieco without track insurance. That was without letting them know of the mods prior, and they were paid for them afterwards once receipts were provided.
That's fine for the US, but has nothing to do with Canada.

For what it's worth, I have no dog in this fight.
I've always thought about supercharging....and never even considered the insurance aspect.....
If I can't insure it, I won"t bother to consider it, so I'd like to know

Quick Reply: Ontario Car Insurance 101