Canadian Events Canada, eh?

My C5Z Goes to DaSilva Motorsports (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My C5Z Goes to DaSilva Motorsports (Review)

Hey guys/gals,

Sorry for the delay, said I'd review the car/shop once I got it back. I found out about DaSilva Motorsports through the forums mid 2012 (just about the time when I picked up a stock C5Z off a buddy).

The 2 choices for shops came to mind were Caravaggio and DaSilva and since Manny was closer, I decided to go in and introduce myself. From the get go I felt welcome, the shop was fanatically clean and all the members there were very friendly. That made my choice that much easier.

Over the winter I compiled a list or parts, bought whatever I could and came back to Manny with a plan of attack.

I wanted to do 8-10 track days a year and have the car street-able still. This time around I didn't add any power, just pure handling.

List of parts:

-Nitto NT01 275/40/17 front & 315/30/18 rear (on stock wheels)
-Powerslot coated & slotted f/r brakes w/ EBC red ceramic pads
-SS lines & fluid
-Oil catch can
-JOC Stage 1 suspension kit (larger f/r sways, urethane bushings, non adjustable shocks, etc
-Hardbar harness bar
-Sparco race seats (driver & passenger)
-C6z shifter
-Ti mod

+ lowered a tad, fresh oil change AND Manny & Co even retained stock power option on my drivers seat for the Sparco!

Initial impressions:

Car doesn't squat or lean on full throttle acceleration, no body lean at all in any corner. Feels like a 400+ hp go kart! Ti exhaust mod sounds mean without being too over the top, and the tires grip like a raging ape on adrenaline.

Will have further driving impressions when I hit a few track days, including Cayuga, Mosport GP track, Grand Bend Motorplex...

Manny, thanks to you and your guys @ DaSilva Motorsports.... You did a fantastic job! I will definitely be a repeat customer, plus highly recommend anyone on the fence to give them a try.

Few pics (courtesy of Lucas Scarfone):

Will get a few more when I get a chance.

Steve
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ti mod? Hmmm, does the car sound better? I wonder if that mod does anything for performance?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By "Ti mod" I assume you mean the by-pass mod. Was Manny able to do that for you? Believe me, I know how hard it is to find someone to supply and weld titanium.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:52 AM
0Dasilvamotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4 KRUSIN
By "Ti mod" I assume you mean the by-pass mod. Was Manny able to do that for you? Believe me, I know how hard it is to find someone to supply and weld titanium.
Yes we did and do the Ti Bi-pass
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Yes, by ti-mod I meant the bypass.

It sounds the way the Z06 should have came from the factory. No drone or obnoxious sounds, just gives it a louder, deeper rumble.

No power, just more sound. I'll take a few pics to show off the welds, looks sexy.

When Manny showed me the car and started in up, my face-->

Steve
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great review of a stellar co. Looking fwd to reading your upcoming track impressions.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Get your self a quality track pad, be careful if you use those EBC on track.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Well first track day of the year this past Wednesday at TMP (Cayuga).

My gopro died, thought I had it fully charged, so next time will post some 1080p vids. Car is a beast and handles on rails. Gave a few prepped open cart and race cars some competition

Few laps in the 1:20-22 range with traffic and a few 1:18-19 laps. Need to adjust tire pressures and tweak a few things. Had the infamous clutch stick problem on high rpm shifting (will perform Ranger trick to remedy).

JOC suspension + brakes/pads/lines + nitto's make a huge difference over stock.

A true testiment will be Mosport GP track so I can stretch the girls legs out. TMP is really hard on the brakes and favours 300hp cars with lighter weight.

Installing simpson racing harnesses to get a more planted feel in my seats as well.

Pics to come soon!

Steve
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Few pics from TMP the other week:

Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

nice pics, car looks great! thanks for sharing them! you took your car to the right place....
BTW - Manny's one of the best welders you'll find anywhere, guy could probably weld cardboard to glass.......
Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
Few pics from TMP the other week:

Wow, some great shots right there
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing, love this kind of threads......mods plus racing pictures...what else you want...thanks for your time sharing here, we need more threads like these...my turn will be next year, i will be silent this year gotta need a break after 7 yrs of owning vettes and racing....its my personal time now.....well problems actually....yikes.

Manny does good job, he should maintain a log book of what mods he has done and results on track.... i guess so....

However i will suggest another mod not necessary but it will be worth it, you not satisfy i will buy from you.....lol. Pfadt Control arm bushing kit F and R for 400 bucks. Install will be quite a bit but nothing manny can handle it....he will kill it, involves replacing factory control arm POS rubber bushings by Pdfadt impregnated polyurethane bushings, you dont need periodic lubrication but i highly recommend installing grease fittings and grease with hi-temp silicone grease (this will avoid any squeaks n such).

once you do Control arm bushings......first ride you will be scared as car literally feels like riding on rails....no washboard or loose feeling when turning or changing lanes or cutting corners.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/43

Last edited by sami85L98; 06-18-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice car. Who do you run with at Mosport (CTMP) Grand Prix track?

BTW, I would agree with Adam at Carbotech, you might want to watch those EBC pads. They generally don't seem to be up to the task.

Ever considered joining the Mobil 1 Time-Attack series? We have 3 C5Zs running regularly as well as some basic C5s and C6s. All the C5Zs are street driven and basically stock. The series runs at Shannonville this weekend, Grand Bend in July and CTMP in August.

Lapping all morning and competition in the afternoons. Great way to learn more about your car and get pointers on going faster. (Hint..... the best mod for faster lap times is driver education and experience)

Check out www.time-attack.ca
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Originally Posted by sami85L98
Thanks for sharing, love this kind of threads......mods plus racing pictures...what else you want...thanks for your time sharing here, we need more threads like these...my turn will be next year, i will be silent this year gotta need a break after 7 yrs of owning vettes and racing....its my personal time now.....well problems actually....yikes.

Manny does good job, he should maintain a log book of what mods he has done and results on track.... i guess so....

However i will suggest another mod not necessary but it will be worth it, you not satisfy i will buy from you.....lol. Pfadt Control arm bushing kit F and R for 400 bucks. Install will be quite a bit but nothing manny can handle it....he will kill it, involves replacing factory control arm POS rubber bushings by Pdfadt impregnated polyurethane bushings, you dont need periodic lubrication but i highly recommend installing grease fittings and grease with hi-temp silicone grease (this will avoid any squeaks n such).

once you do Control arm bushings......first ride you will be scared as car literally feels like riding on rails....no washboard or loose feeling when turning or changing lanes or cutting corners.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...products_id/43
The car as it sits right now rides on rails, and did come with urethane bushings in the JOC stage 1 suspension kit.

I may do the control arms next year, would like to see a comparison though. If you come out to a track day you can ride along, the ride is stiff and no body lean.

Steve
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Nice car. Who do you run with at Mosport (CTMP) Grand Prix track?

BTW, I would agree with Adam at Carbotech, you might want to watch those EBC pads. They generally don't seem to be up to the task.

Ever considered joining the Mobil 1 Time-Attack series? We have 3 C5Zs running regularly as well as some basic C5s and C6s. All the C5Zs are street driven and basically stock. The series runs at Shannonville this weekend, Grand Bend in July and CTMP in August.

Lapping all morning and competition in the afternoons. Great way to learn more about your car and get pointers on going faster. (Hint..... the best mod for faster lap times is driver education and experience)

Check out www.time-attack.ca
Much appreciated, been contemplating joining... may just do a full 2014 season next year. What's a typical even cost to enter?

One question I had is I drive my car on the street, will the carbotechs be able to withstand cold emergency stops or are they a strict 'track only pad'? The EBC's seemed to do ok, I would like a bit more initial bite, but they didn't fade after 45-50 laps that evening.

Steve
Old 06-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Few more pics:

Thanks for the comments, if anyone is even down for lapping I'm usually there driving/watching on Wednesdays! Doing some Mosport GP track events and Grand Bend Motorplex soon too!

Steve
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're planning to add harnesses, plan on a hans device. Without one, think of yourself as a bobble head. The only body part that will move when strapped into a harness is your head/neck in the event of a crash which could result in serious neck injury or worse.
Right now with just a seat belt there is still some movement in your torso to absorb a sudden stop in front or hard impact on the side.

For now with your seat belt, the trick to getting really snug is to move the seat back a few inches from your normal driving postion. Cinch your seat belt so it's snug, now move your seat forward to your regular driving position. You'll be more stable in your seat when cornering.

Get notified of new replies

To My C5Z Goes to DaSilva Motorsports (Review)

Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
If you're planning to add harnesses, plan on a hans device. Without one, think of yourself as a bobble head. The only body part that will move when strapped into a harness is your head/neck in the event of a crash which could result in serious neck injury or worse.
Right now with just a seat belt there is still some movement in your torso to absorb a sudden stop in front or hard impact on the side.

For now with your seat belt, the trick to getting really snug is to move the seat back a few inches from your normal driving postion. Cinch your seat belt so it's snug, now move your seat forward to your regular driving position. You'll be more stable in your seat when cornering.
Thanks for the tip! I actually purchased 5 pt Impact racing harnesses, just need the hardbar lapbar harness to get them installed.

Looking into hans devices that will attach to the helmet as we speak.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Much appreciated, been contemplating joining... may just do a full 2014 season next year. What's a typical even cost to enter?

One question I had is I drive my car on the street, will the carbotechs be able to withstand cold emergency stops or are they a strict 'track only pad'? The EBC's seemed to do ok, I would like a bit more initial bite, but they didn't fade after 45-50 laps that evening.

Steve
Carbotech pads will give you an emergency stop like you have never seen on the street, the big problem is the person behind you can not stop in the distance you do. Give me a call at 216-780-8825 I will be happy to talk with you. XP10 front XP8 is your best bet for street and track.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 06-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve
I use Carbotech XP 10s up front with some home made ghetto brake ducts (tried Quantum and didn't like them at all) and believe it or not Hawk HP+ out back. I run a square set up with either NT01s or Hankook RS3s and the standard brake balance on the car seems way too rear biased with the better rubber, hence the decidedly weaker and colder temp rear pad. The Carbotechs are absolutely streetable but you need to be aware that you might remove the transfer layer with a lot street driving meaning you need to rebed them in on the first track session of the day.

The Mobil 1 Time-Attack series is going to Grand Bend July 13-14. Why don't you join us? We are at Shannonville this weekend for Pro track on Sat and Full track on Sunday but I know that is a bit of a hike for you from home.

BTW, you didn't mention who you run with at Mosport. We have a full weekend in Aug but unfortunately it is the same wkend as my daughter's wedding and I certainly can't afford the divorce so I'll be missing it. I'm really looking for some Grand Prix track time but the Kensai days on long weekends don't work for me.

Quick Reply: My C5Z Goes to DaSilva Motorsports (Review)