Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Champion attending 1/2 mile air strip Monee IL.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
CDN Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
So what does this mean? The main runway is 5,000 feet long by 100 feet wide. There are no walls or barriers to worry about. I believe there are elevated runway lights at both ends, but nothing between. This is similar to a quarter mile track, except that you have a solid 1/2 mile, before you need to consider slowing down. I did it during a track event last year, and my elderly C4 did get clocked at 125 mph. The price is expected to be $50.00 per car, if there are 5 participants. The price will go down from there.
Bult Field at Monee is 5008 feet long and 75 feet wide
No lights or barriers.

Can be done , but stopping at 175 + mph is a little harder and taking out a runway light could cause quite severe damage to a vette.

Thanks for the info I will pass it on.

Last edited by CDN Vette; 06-03-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:37 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

As of this moment I was told our club is doing this for our members if we get enough going, I will update if anything changes. Not sure what my GS will do but I will find out
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested.....and no borders to cross.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I am interested. Can you create a separate thread for this?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As of this moment I was told our club is doing this for our members if we get enough going, I will update if anything changes. Not sure what my GS will do but I will find out
Let us know when and where.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 AM
CDN Vette
Pro

any news on other event?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Here it is, just got this to-day so they need a few more Vettes

So, we are on for Sunday, June 23 from 6:00 to 8:00pm. Please arrive by 5:30pm to sign the waiver and pay your fee $50.00

Please confirm you are coming!

There is one minor change. We will be using a 70 foot wide taxi way, rather than the 100 foot wide main runway. The VMAX will allow each participant one pass from the start staging area to the finish staging area. We will have the braking zones marked and hope to have a radar gun there as well. Once all the cars in the group have completed one pass, the finish staging area becomes the start staging area and we run a VMAX on the same course... now the old start area effectively becomes the finish area... I have attached a map with the layout.

I need to know ASAP. I am looking at 5 or 6 cars total. I need to know, no later than Tuesday, June 18th at 7:00pm.

Also, for everyone. A rainout will only be decided at Huron Park, and not your place of residence!

Assume the cost will be $50.00 per car.

I know from my own high speed experiences ( 144 mph in my 86 Vette and 147 mph on my two Yamaha 1100's) that safety is job one. Therefore I will state the obvious and hope no one thinks I am being overbearing.

Weather - A dry surface is a must. If it has rained during the day and there are any wet low points, count me out. The same goes for any chance of rain during the event.

Tire rating and condition - It is my understanding that V rated tires are good up to but not exceeding 150 mph, if they are in new condition and properly inflated. The more the mileage the lower the speed rating and if they have been subjected to a panic stop the belts have probably been damaged.

Brakes - With all high speed braking, heat and brake fade will occur regardless of whether they are stock or after-market upgrades. On each run the stopping power will diminish noticeably. It would probably be a good idea to have some kind of a highly visible marker (a parked vehicle off to the side but not too close) at the 3/4 distance point to help ensure everyone gets off the gas in time.

Windows and wind - This my sound silly but it has been my experience that at high speed, having your windows up and roof on will provide the most stable platform. If you want your drivers window down, it is a good idea to have the passenger side down also. Never lower or raise one window at high speed as it will change the aerodynamics of your car.

Regards,
Mike

mikebaerthel@yahoo.ca
Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

they need a few more Vettes for the 1/2 mile at Huron Park airport, Huron Park just south of Exeter

Sunday, June 23 from 6:00 to 8:00pm. Please arrive by 5:30pm to sign the waiver and pay your fee $50.00

They need to know ASAP. I am looking at 5 or 6 cars total. I need to know, no later than Tuesday, June 18th at 7:00pm.

Regards,
Mike

mikebaerthel@yahoo.ca
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

post a list of who's going.....we'll try to make the cruise out there to watch and support... I'm sure a few others will as well....it's closer than going to Illinois so maybe there'll be more interest...
Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Right now you are the first person that answered besides 6 members from our club Corvettes of Western Ontario, we have a C6 ZR1 going. E-mail Mike he would know the latest he just asked me to post this

mikebaerthel@yahoo.ca
Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Not sure what happened but only one person showed any interest on the Forum. We had a lot of interest from others outside of Vettes, that's too bad. They had no trouble filling the spots but were looking for Vettes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Jutskin
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what happened but only one person showed any interest on the Forum. We had a lot of interest from others outside of Vettes, that's too bad. They had no trouble filling the spots but were looking for Vettes
If my car was ready for it I would have been in like Flint.
Thanx for your efforts.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM
CDN Vette
Pro

Check out the cool event video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ke8...ature=youtu.be

great pics of Rob's car @ 2:20
and my car @ 6:10

Should have brought slicks since with the absence of traction in all five gears I was still the second fastest vette @175.34 MPH.

With traction who knows?

Quick Reply: Champion attending 1/2 mile air strip Monee IL.