Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

If MOE shows up you better have all the original pollution controls installed and hooked up, that includes no breather. I keep a copy in the storage box from the AIM which states what was original equip't for my '72. I had an MOE officer argue for 10 minutes that I was missing my air pump, I kept telling him that it isn't missing as it was never factory installed in my vette.

Last edited by gdh; 06-27-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:59 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Evidently if you decline to allow them to look they can call the Ministry of the Environment to test car right away and then who knows what the outcome may be? The guy who stopped my car, I wasn't even in it at the time valerie was driving, he made a u-turn to pull her over while at a stop at a red light..said he smelled the exhaust. ( I call B.S.) Because the car is "modified" apparently they can do this. Like I said a $400 fine and an order to repair. So I bought a Magnaflow stainless system with high flow cats at the headers straight out; installed at Champion.

Actually certain officers are trained and have power to do inspections.....
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM
LS7 BUD
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

This is why I love my B&B fusion... Just a quick flip on the mild to wild and I'm all quiet... I'd fail a curb side e-test tho due to my big cam... I can pass a current e-test so why are they allowed to test the old way?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
As with other owners of older cars, I'm fortunate to be able to skate around the late-model rules, but I still have additional resonators and decent mufflers in my 3" duals w/headers setup.
Paul, can you prove you installed your engine before Jan 1, 1999? Technically, any engine transplant after Jan 1, 1999 needs all the emissions equipment that was present on the motor when installed in the original vehicle. If the original vehicle can't be determined then you have to meet 1980 emissions standards. I believe you have a crate engine, so you'd likely have to meet the 1980 emissions standard. I'd recommend you get a back-dated receipt for the engine written up if you don't have one already.

I put a '95 LT1 into my 65 Impala. If an inspector pulled me over to harass me then I'd be screwed because I'd need the EGR, AIR, charcoal canister and cats, all of which I did not install.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I didn't know that OPP officers were trained to do vehicle mechanical inspections and what right do they have to just stop you randomly on the street to do one unless something is blatantly wrong with your vehicle?
The same "right" that allows police officers to routinely flout the laws,ignore the constitution,and strip citizens of their right to due process as they have been doing more and more as we devolve into a ****-like police state.Its only going to get worse as the police forces
continue to increasingly morph into a tax collection arm of the government,and move further away from crime prevention and protection of citizens.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Actually certain officers are trained and have power to do inspections.....
Yes that is what I have heard also - that for budget reasons they did away with many ? most ? DOT inspectors and have trained and equiped police to carry out inspection work.

I believe the OPP SUV's carry whatever equipment need to perform roadside inspections (floor jacks ? LOL).
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by QIK59
Yes that is what I have heard also - that for budget reasons they did away with many ? most ? DOT inspectors and have trained and equiped police to carry out inspection work.

I believe the OPP SUV's carry whatever equipment need to perform roadside inspections (floor jacks ? LOL).
A comedian now too.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Paul, can you prove you installed your engine before Jan 1, 1999? Technically, any engine transplant after Jan 1, 1999 needs all the emissions equipment that was present on the motor when installed in the original vehicle. If the original vehicle can't be determined then you have to meet 1980 emissions standards. I believe you have a crate engine, so you'd likely have to meet the 1980 emissions standard. I'd recommend you get a back-dated receipt for the engine written up if you don't have one already.

I put a '95 LT1 into my 65 Impala. If an inspector pulled me over to harass me then I'd be screwed because I'd need the EGR, AIR, charcoal canister and cats, all of which I did not install.
I believe if it is determined to be a crate engine you may have to meet the requirements in place the year the engine was assembled ?

Wonder about about clones ? 67 L-88 with road draft tube which I am assembling parts for LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

I could do so if required - so really not an issue.

However, my five year plan includes substantial drivetrain mods in which responsible emission controls are a big part of my objectives, not just for the Corvette but for my truck and boat as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corrado
A comedian now too.
Can you see a cop actually jacking a car up on the side of the road and getting under it ?
That WOULD be funny especially if it came down LOL
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That would be a good one : presenting a receipt : from me - to me for my engine swaps LOL
Parts and labour "free" !
Old 06-28-2013, 01:47 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Can you see a cop actually jacking a car up on the side of the road and getting under it ?
That WOULD be funny especially if it came down LOL
Actually, it would be funny (NOT the car falling on him) but love to see a cop try to get a Vette jacked, especially one with side squirts, it's a pain in the *** even for mechanics to do it!!

I really do think it's a total waste of police (and TAXPAYERS resources!) pulling over loud cars. I highly doubt that's what people aspired to when they became Police officers in the first place.
That being said, some of those Harleys are WAY too loud, offensively loud. Loud can be good, but there is a limit. As for myself, my car is reasonably loud, (Headers and BB Bullets) but I have found most cops seem to love it, except for the few bad apples. Cops can be car guys too.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:54 PM
freedomfighter69
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine blew 134 decibels at a vete contest, time to drive a bit more normal👻
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corrado
Actually, it would be funny (NOT the car falling on him) but love to see a cop try to get a Vette jacked, especially one with side squirts, it's a pain in the *** even for mechanics to do it!!

I really do think it's a total waste of police (and TAXPAYERS resources!) pulling over loud cars. I highly doubt that's what people aspired to when they became Police officers in the first place.
That being said, some of those Harleys are WAY too loud, offensively loud. Loud can be good, but there is a limit. As for myself, my car is reasonably loud, (Headers and BB Bullets) but I have found most cops seem to love it, except for the few bad apples. Cops can be car guys too.
Yeah I guess it wouldn't be that funny because something would end up damaged on the car and you'd be SOL (no joke)
Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by freedomfighter69
Mine blew 134 decibels at a vete contest, time to drive a bit more normal��
quiet compared to my stereo! but then again I can't hear it over my exhaust anyway!
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM
roysvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dankhts
quiet compared to my stereo! but then again I can't hear it over my exhaust anyway!
Always the voice of reason eh Dan? he-he
Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Acky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of years back, I got an "excessive noise" ticket on my Harley. It was a Durham cop. I decided to fight it and started to research the law. Nowhere in the HTA (at that time) was "excessive" defined.
Most US states have a law that reads something like"...no greater than 90 db at 10 feet with vehicle at idle....".
So I chatted with the crown atty before the case was called and asked if they had a definition of "excessive". The answer was"...whatever the officer thinks..".
I very politely replied that I doubted that a police officer would have that type of discretion on what was clearly a judgement call. What's loud to him, may not be loud to others.
Crown didn't buy my reasoning but he offered to give me a reduced fine if I pled guilty.
Told the Crown I'd gladly pay the fine to the Police Benevelent Assn. or a police charity but there was no way I'd plead guilty.
Anyway, case was adjourned and on the next date the officer didn't show up and case was dismissed.

I believe these days some anti-biker gang units of the OPP have a DB meter and do have certain parameters and definitions. Never heard about them using it on a car.

Long story short, I was told by the crown that there are no points involved with an equipment charge so, if one wants to have a unique experience and see how the justice system really works, plead Not Guilty and take your chances. Or, pay the fine and have something on your record even if no points.
The issue with the latter is that if you're ever stopped again for any reason, an officer can get your history and, if they're in a foul mood, their hearing may get very sensitive.

Good luck.

Acky

Get notified of new replies

To Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by roysvette
Always the voice of reason eh Dan? he-he
I'm surprised you haven't gotten any noise tickets yet, peeling around town on that Harley, making noise, pulling wheelies, speeding, scaring old ladies and old men like me! HOODLUMS!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I believe if it is determined to be a crate engine you may have to meet the requirements in place the year the engine was assembled ?
Originally Posted by MTO
For Drive Clean testing, the vehicle must meet or exceed what were the emissions standards of the original motor when all original emission control equipment was functioning (s. 4(2)). If there weren’t any standards established for the original motor, the vehicle is deemed to be a 1980 model. The standards listed for “1980 and earlier” model-year vehicles apply.
Nope, no standards for a crate motor which was never supplied in a vehicle so 1980 emission standards apply.

Now, a replacement engine might be another story, like say a replacement LS7, then the car it goes in would likely have to meet the C6 Z06 emissions standards.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 PM
roysvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dan, Dan, Dan....It's not always the Harleys, often it's the "wannabees" on other brands....Oh I almost forgot, this is supposed to be the Corvette Forum, not the Harley Forum Anyway, I've heard your car. Theyre not stock mufflers

Quick Reply: Has aftermarket exhaust gotten you pulled over?