The Dangers of Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:30 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default The Dangers of Track Days

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...h-at-flugplatz

Holy crap. This guy is running on adrenaline now. Happened 6/17/13 on the Ring.

Fast forward to 1:51 and watch from there. 2:55 mark is a C6R, livery looks like GMRacing. And at the 3:15 mark, is that a black C6 or a C7 driving past on the grass?

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 06-30-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

I like how it's the Corvette guy who parks safely away, stops to offer assistance then goes up track to warn oncoming traffic.

All the other punks just paused to rubberneck and then buggered off.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM
ride686
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Except most European insurance policies will cover Nurburgring crashes because its still considered a public road.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
I like how it's the Corvette guy who parks safely away, stops to offer assistance then goes up track to warn oncoming traffic.

All the other punks just paused to rubberneck and then buggered off.
The guy that stopped is in the wrong. You are told not to,stop no matter what is going on. There are hundreds of cars going ***** out and you don't want to cause congestion. They have marshals traveling the track who are trained in emergency response.

Just drove it last week. What a hoot!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ride686
Except most European insurance policies will cover Nurburgring crashes because its still considered a public road.
Actually a lot of polices,including all car rental contracts have a specific clause restring you from driving the ring. The car rental companies will fine you €6000 for taking a rental car on the ring.
There are bounty hunters that watch for rentals. They get paid 10% for reporting and convicting.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L72
The guy that stopped is in the wrong. You are told not to,stop no matter what is going on. There are hundreds of cars going ***** out and you don't want to cause congestion. They have marshals traveling the track who are trained in emergency response.

Just drove it last week. What a hoot!
No doubt - would make sense. But then again the same could be said for the 401 and other roadways where I have parked far away from the scene and returned to provide assistance or warning to oncoming drivers.

In the case of this Porsche driver, he was upside down and ready for a broadside right into him from any of those cars approaching. NFW would I just drive on past.

Wondering how organized the 'rings response system is? I noticed an ambulance at the gated entrance, but do they have cameras along the track that monitor for incidents, and some kind of flashing light / warning system to immediately alert other drivers ahead of a crash?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaulUptime
No doubt - would make sense. But then again the same could be said for the 401 and other roadways where I have parked far away from the scene and returned to provide assistance or warning to oncoming drivers.

In the case of this Porsche driver, he was upside down and ready for a broadside right into him from any of those cars approaching. NFW would I just drive on past.

Wondering how organized the 'rings response system is? I noticed an ambulance at the gated entrance, but do they have cameras along the track that monitor for incidents, and some kind of flashing light / warning system to immediately alert other drivers ahead of a crash?
There isn't much room to get out of the way......tight guardrails everywhere. As for your 401 analogy it's not a highway where the normal reaction of everybody around is to slow down. It's a race track with 150+ blind corners filled with drivers of every ability level trying to be Mario Andretti. Suicide to get out.
Best place for everyone is in their vehicles. I guess if you were first car to arrive at the scene and you could park well off and provide warning to oncoming cars from behind a guard rail would be a good route
JMHO

The company we rented the car from had a 20 minute introduction to,familiarize rookies with the ring. After that talk and watching some of the video many people decide just not to go out. It's a pretty intimidating track to,say the least

Having said that if you ever get the chance it is definitely a bucket list thing to do for any motor head.....

Last edited by 66L72; 07-02-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dangers of Track Days

Quick Reply: The Dangers of Track Days