Questions about Buying a Vette from Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Questions about Buying a Vette from Canada

Howdy Neighbors!

I live in Port Huron, Michigan. Literally 5 minutes from the Ontario border. I love Sarnia. I'm over there all the time. Friendliest people on Earth.

Anyhow, what I need a little advice on is the process, costs, hastles of buying a car in Sarnia and bringing it home to the US. This summer at the latest, I'll be getting a C5 vert. I'd like to buy a Canadian car, mostly due to the favorable exchange.

What kind of problems will I have bringing it across the border? Anyone with experience in that area? I think there is a 2.5% tariff and if I buy from a dealership I'll have to pay the 13.5% GST??? While I'm certainly not trying to skirt the law or anything, I was wondering if I bought from a private party, would I still have to pay the tax? Or just the tax here in the States when I go to register the car?

Any assistance or information is very much appreciated. Thanks for the time.--Stroh
Old 02-18-2016, 12:44 PM
36couper
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I suggest you hire a company like TFX transport. They can handle all the paperwork for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks for that suggestion. If the cost isn't prohibitive that might work, despite the fact that I'd literally be transporting the car 5-10 miles.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
DDP
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroh
Thanks for that suggestion. If the cost isn't prohibitive that might work, despite the fact that I'd literally be transporting the car 5-10 miles.
I'm not sure how it works going to US from Canada but there are some tax and duty issues if you drive a car across the border or truck it across when we bring a car to Canada. you may want to check with your Michigan DOT.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:49 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990TorchRed
I'm not sure how it works going to US from Canada but there are some tax and duty issues if you drive a car across the border or truck it across when we bring a car to Canada. you may want to check with your Michigan DOT.
You will pay no duty and no provincial sale tax. state tax will be applicable upon entry. broker on the us side will assist, Canadian side has little to do with export. if you find a car with great savings in Canada for sure pursue it. it is a very easy and cheap process. see a broker on your side.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks, Five Points. As a newbie about this I have to ask, what kind of broker and where would I find one? Boy, I know that sounds ridiculously simple of me, but I am completely new to the consideration. It only dawned on me this week, that this would be a very good idea with economics/ exchanges as they currently stand.

Again, many thanks for the info. and direction.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM
JPEAK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy Neighbors!

I live in Port Huron, Michigan. Literally 5 minutes from the Ontario border. I love Sarnia. I'm over there all the time. Friendliest people on Earth.

Anyhow, what I need a little advice on is the process, costs, hastles of buying a car in Sarnia and bringing it home to the US. This summer at the latest, I'll be getting a C5 vert. I'd like to buy a Canadian car, mostly due to the favorable exchange.

What kind of problems will I have bringing it across the border? Anyone with experience in that area? I think there is a 2.5% tariff and if I buy from a dealership I'll have to pay the 13.5% GST??? While I'm certainly not trying to skirt the law or anything, I was wondering if I bought from a private party, would I still have to pay the tax? Or just the tax here in the States when I go to register the car?

Any assistance or information is very much appreciated. Thanks for the time.--Stroh
Actually you will need to go through a Registered Importer who will process the entry into USA. Just look up in the inter-web for a local company who is located in Port Huron. no tax, in Canada since the car is for export. your will probably need a temp plate to cross the border.
Here is a link to RI. They will advise you what is required to import Good Luck.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t01122006.html
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Some Issues to think of.

I live in Canada and imported from the US on my own, no broker, two years ago.

I think there are a couple of hurdles to overcome if you import either way.

First it is hard to believe but there is an issue regarding licence plates.

I learned that temporary plates are not valid in other jurisdictions. An Ohio temp plate had no validity in Ontario for instance. I ended up flat towing the car to avoid the issue.

Next while our countries are very close there are banking issues. A certified check does not work between our countries, The funds are held for weeks. The only way to do it really is a bank transfer or cash.

A few other tips. Usually your insurance will cover a new car for a few days, Check with them. They will eventually want a VIN.

If a 15 year old car is imported into Canada it is exempt from import provisions. I believe the rule is 25 years importing into the US. Check the requirements. It will likely mean getting confirmation from GM that all safety related recalls have been performed. (not relevant for you but bringing one under 15 years old into Canada requires daytime running lights, Speedo in km, french language safety warnings)

Whatever you do don't lie about the value of the car at the border!

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just find out who your local GM dealer is using for a broker.Half of the used trucks on his lot are likely from Canada...
Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Wow! Thanks guys. Very useful information and exactly what I need.

This forum never ceases to amaze. The people on here are top shelf.

If anyone else would like to share their experience with this border issue, I'd appreciate all the info I can get.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 PM
ZOHSIC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do it all yourself and avoid the GST, you just have to do your homework first.

You have to declare the car coming into the U.S. 48 hours before, you have to prove there is not outstanding liens on the car and you'll have your own state tax to worry about.

Also, Michigan is a state that when buying from a dealership, the tax is lost.

If the exchange difference is huge, that should be the only incentive to do it.

Canada is a very small market compared to the U.S. so it'd have to be a pretty niche car to do this.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks ZOHSIC... I'll keep checking into it.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

I did a post on this back in Feb 2015.

Everything you need to know about importing a car into the U.S.
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Awesome, Zeeman. Thank you very much!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Bseile
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stroh, I did this about 2 years ago in Port Huron. Piece of cake. You can pay cash for the car in Sarnia, and just get all the paperwork from the old owner. You will have to trailer it across, and you can't get a temp on either side. When you get to Customs on the American side, just declare the car to them. You will get sent inside with your paperwork and the customs agent will start doing their paperwork. As long as the vehicle conforms to US crash and emissions standards, then about 30 minutes later you will be out of there and can head to the Secretary of state. Standard paperwork there plus you will have to pay sales tax for the purchase price in US dollars. Then just wait for your plate and title in the mail. Good thing about Canadian cars is that their Ministry of Transportation paperwork shows all the past owners and transfer dates on it, good info to have. And with the US/Canadian exchange rate right you will make out.
The following users liked this post:
Stroh (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Thanks much Bseile... I'm having a little trouble finding what I'm looking for over there, but that is still the plan.

As a Port Huron guy, we might want to organize some kind of mini-power tour for area vettes. Run up the coast on either side, call it Coasters or something like that...
Old 03-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Bseile
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is still in pieces at the moment.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Buying a Vette from Canada

Old 03-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Ninjacga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exchange Difference

Just remember...the exchange is in your favour but most of us know this. I was looking at selling mine this year and was looking at selling in Michigan. I was just going to price it at what the local US price was locally and then start there. This would be way more than what I would get here in Canada.

I guess if you look at cars advertised in Ontario in CAD$ and the seller is okay getting what he is asking in CAD$ then you would likely save some money.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Whatcha sellin, ninja?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:08 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Very easy

Howdy Neighbors!

I am a dealer and send cars to Michigan all the time ,Flint more specifically.Get yourself a registered importer and it will be a simple process.

Quick Reply: Questions about Buying a Vette from Canada