Midland Run - this Sunday May 22nd

Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Default Midland Run - this Sunday May 22nd

Hi Crew

Just in case anyone is confused about the June 11th run to Midland thread, some of us are heading up to Midland this Sunday, May 22 to scout things out.

So if you're looking for a cruise this Sunday, please join us at the Enroute on Hwy 400 just north of Major Mack for a 10:00 departure.

We'll head up to Midland, nose around a bit and have some lunch.
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm out from any of these changes.
RAGGDOLL (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Hi Crew

Just in case anyone is confused about the June 11th run to Midland thread, some of us are heading up to Midland this Sunday, May 22 to scout things out.

So if you're looking for a cruise this Sunday, please join us at the Enroute on Hwy 400 just north of Major Mack for a 10:00 departure.

We'll head up to Midland, nose around a bit and have some lunch.
Awesome Jack!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Cornutodeuce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread, with a suggestion.
This weekend at CTMP lots of great racing. Why not attend for some part of the day and cruise from there. my 2c

Old 05-21-2016, 11:41 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

See you guys tomorrow
Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

What a perfect day for a cruise!!!!
Attached Images     
Old 05-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

It was. I didn't take any pics, but I started in Richmond Hill, went up to Barrie, and then headed to Niagara Falls and now back home.

I hope you were able to scout possible parking locations for June 11. How was The Boathouse Eatery? Looks like a nice spot for lunch.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
It was. I didn't take any pics, but I started in Richmond Hill, went up to Barrie, and then headed to Niagara Falls and now back home.

I hope you were able to scout possible parking locations for June 11. How was The Boathouse Eatery? Looks like a nice spot for lunch.
Why didn't you come with us??????
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by RAGGDOLL
Why didn't you come with us??????
Because I had to go to Barrie and Niagara Falls today.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:17 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

why didn t i win the lottery ?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

posted my pics in the other thread
, too many threads for same thing
Old 05-22-2016, 09:51 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Man, I sure do appreciate Stan and his cruise directing abilities. There we were finishing lunch, and 7 people all turn to me and say: "What we gonna do now Jack?

I thought googling some restaurants the night before and driving up there would be enough, but people ALWAYS WANT MORE

Anyway, first time I've been in downtown Midland, it's nice. You follow King street straight in and there (@ number 177) is The Boathouse Eatery. We showed up, 8 of us, and they asked us if we had a reservation, I thought trouble, but in fact, they had us set at a table in no time at all.

First nice weekend of the summer, it was busy. but not 100% full - I would say it was 85% full). With that, the service was a little slow, and the waitress did apologize saying the kitchen was working as fast as they could. The food seemed OK, my wings were not that good, but others had burgers which looked good - maybe they can comment on their food.

The Boathouse is by the water and there is a marina there, and even though the restaurant was not 100% full, parking was a little tough. No way you'll find parking for a bunch of Vettes all parked in one place side by side. There is a decent size parking lot at the marina, it's just that the group of cars won't be able to park together like we all prefer to do.

The drive in is direct and not that interesting, 400 and Hwy 93 straight in. Afterwards a few us tried to find a more interesting way home, Mike did a good job of plotting a route and it was a more interesting drive.

In summary:

I think downtown Midland on the Butter Tart Day will be challenging for a large group of cars and diners. You can try a reservation at the Boathouse, but I would inquire now, cause they might not even take a reservation on what should be a pretty busy day. I'm sure they would prefer a bunch of walk-up business with a long line up so they can turn tables around as fast as possible, rather than have 20 or 30 people show up and take up a big section.

There is a Boston Pizza just before you pull into Midland (16835 Heritage) that is in a typical plaza (with a Tim"s and a bunch of other stores). Way easier to park a large group of cars and BP could handle a large group better I think. But it's not near the water, so not much of a view. You could eat there and then roll into town for some sweets. Midland downtown is pretty compact and it would be an easy walk.

So, I'm no "Stan Zeeman" and again, really appreciate the planning that goes into an event like this. If I have not thanked you before Stan, I am thanking you now for you leading these things...

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by VETFEVER; 05-22-2016 at 10:02 PM.
walleyejack (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Man, I sure do appreciate Stan and his cruise directing abilities. There we were finishing lunch, and 7 people all turn to me and say: "What we gonna do now Jack?

I thought googling some restaurants the night before and driving up there would be enough, but people ALWAYS WANT MORE

Anyway, first time I've been in downtown Midland, it's nice. You follow King street straight in and there (@ number 177) is The Boathouse Eatery. We showed up, 8 of us, and they asked us if we had a reservation, I thought trouble, but in fact, they had us set at a table in no time at all.

First nice weekend of the summer, it was busy. but not 100% full - I would say it was 85% full). With that, the service was a little slow, and the waitress did apologize saying the kitchen was working as fast as they could. The food seemed OK, my wings were not that good, but others had burgers which looked good - maybe they can comment on their food.

The Boathouse is by the water and there is a marina there, and even though the restaurant was not 100% full, parking was a little tough. No way you'll find parking for a bunch of Vettes all parked in one place side by side. There is a decent size parking lot at the marina, it's just that the group of cars won't be able to park together like we all prefer to do.

The drive in is direct and not that interesting, 400 and Hwy 93 straight in. Afterwards a few us tried to find a more interesting way home, Mike did a good job of plotting a route and it was a more interesting drive.

In summary:

I think downtown Midland on the Butter Tart Day will be challenging for a large group of cars and diners. You can try a reservation at the Boathouse, but I would inquire now, cause they might not even take a reservation on what should be a pretty busy day. I'm sure they would prefer a bunch of walk-up business with a long line up so they can turn tables around as fast as possible, rather than have 20 or 30 people show up and take up a big section.

There is a Boston Pizza just before you pull into Midland (16835 Heritage) that is in a typical plaza (with a Tim"s and a bunch of other stores). Way easier to park a large group of cars and BP could handle a large group better I think. But it's not near the water, so not much of a view. You could eat there and then roll into town for some sweets. Midland downtown is pretty compact and it would be an easy walk.

So, I'm no "Stan Zeeman" and again, really appreciate the planning that goes into an event like this. If I have not thanked you before Stan, I am thanking you now for you leading these things...

Hope this info helps.
Good overview Jack. I agree, downtown Midland will be packed, and didn't someone say today that part of it will be closed off to vehicular traffic?

It will be like a HDR, but up north
Old 05-22-2016, 11:05 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Thanks for the review Jack.

Yeah I was thinking the drive up the highway would be uninteresting, but I didn't see anything on google maps that would be interesting. Maybe we can make your way out, the way in? Was also thinking of parking somewhere outside of the buttertart zone and then walking in. I know there's a sports arena at King and Yonge. Bit of a walk though. And there are a couple of semi large lots at King and Bay just up the street from the Boathouse Eatery. Didn't think we'd all be together but at least somewhat close by. Plus there is plenty of pay street parking, so hopefully we will all find a place to park.

BP would probably be best to accomodate our large crowd and I would call ahead to reserve seating for us anyways. Plus it being way outside the buttertart zone, it may not be as busy.

Anyone ever been to that buttertart festival? I wonder how busy it gets.

Here's a write from The Star for last year's festival.
https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...-festival.html

Just to give everyone an idea, this is from last year. Maybe going there with a large group isn't such a good idea.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 05-22-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow - that is quite a crowd - Boathouse is at the very end of that pic. Bigger crowd than I was thinking for sure. Based on that pic, I'm not sure even the Boston Pizza would be far enough away to handle a large group.

I would call BP and ask what they did last year....

I think you could find parking somewhere along the way from the BP into town where you could leave the cars and walk in...
Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 AM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live up here in Penetanguishene, and this event is very popular. Be warned ,if you want butter tarts be early .Most were sold out by 11 am. On average 50K butter tarts are sold in one day .As for parking for lunch BP may be the best bet for a large number of cars.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mad pad house
I live up here in Penetanguishene, and this event is very popular. Be warned ,if you want butter tarts be early .Most were sold out by 11 am. On average 50K butter tarts are sold in one day .As for parking for lunch BP may be the best bet for a large number of cars.
Tx MPH - maybe Stan will be in touch for some local intel

Get notified of new replies

To Midland Run - this Sunday May 22nd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midland Run - this Sunday May 22nd