Finally decided to join the fun. Looking forward to my first Woodward
Deam Cruise. Another one off the bucket list. See you all in August

Happy Motoring

Lorenzo
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 92 Posts

Bumping this to the top----let get our rooms booked folks!!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:04 PM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Wow going good this year---usually they notify me when they are getting close to booking out---we have 10 signed up already and they have opened up another 15 rooms for the Canadian Corvette Club---this is great!!!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:25 PM
HoldHard
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

From a local dude, the "official" weekend of the Dream Cruise is not too much fun. As stated, huge toll on the car's A/C and cooling system. At the height of it, plan on going 100 feet an hour. No, I'm not kidding. Be careful when turning around on Woodward's divided boulevard. Squeaking your tires will get you a ticket in Royal Oak. They use the Cruise as a major point of income from traffic tickets.

We usually go out the week before the actual Cruise as it's not really that busy on Woodward. The police are a bit more laid back and there are almost as many cars / trucks / mopeds / motorcycles / motorized beer coolers out that week as the actual Cruise weekend. Granted, the big displays from Ford, GM and Chrysler are not setup yet, but you can walk through those on the weekend.

The Marriott is a great place to stay.

We normally setup a few other things in the week before so keep an eye on the Great Lakes regional forum for events that are Corvette specific. Last year included a Corvette "flag" at the M1 Concourse, a tour of the Pratt & Miller facility (they build the C7R race cars for GM) and other tours of local automobile museums.

HH
Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Booked 2 rooms for ourselves and friends, Tx for getting a new block of rooms opened up so quick *****
Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HoldHard
From a local dude, the "official" weekend of the Dream Cruise is not too much fun. As stated, huge toll on the car's A/C and cooling system. At the height of it, plan on going 100 feet an hour. No, I'm not kidding. Be careful when turning around on Woodward's divided boulevard. Squeaking your tires will get you a ticket in Royal Oak. They use the Cruise as a major point of income from traffic tickets.

We usually go out the week before the actual Cruise as it's not really that busy on Woodward. The police are a bit more laid back and there are almost as many cars / trucks / mopeds / motorcycles / motorized beer coolers out that week as the actual Cruise weekend. Granted, the big displays from Ford, GM and Chrysler are not setup yet, but you can walk through those on the weekend.

The Marriott is a great place to stay.

We normally setup a few other things in the week before so keep an eye on the Great Lakes regional forum for events that are Corvette specific. Last year included a Corvette "flag" at the M1 Concourse, a tour of the Pratt & Miller facility (they build the C7R race cars for GM) and other tours of local automobile museums.

HH
All very true facts----but it is Woodward after all!! the people kinda make it what it is-----Gratiot actually has an older smaller cruise--but you don't get the rolling museum like Woodward---just walking around all the factory displays is awesome--keep us posted of what you guys are up too---you run some great events leading up to Woodward !!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by HoldHard
At the height of it, plan on going 100 feet an hour.
5 car lengths an hour is exaggerating. In the middle of the afternoon, I took I75 south to Woodward and managed to travel ~20 miles north to Pontiac in a couple of hours.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
5 car lengths an hour is exaggerating. In the middle of the afternoon, I took I75 south to Woodward and managed to travel ~20 miles north to Pontiac in a couple of hours.
i told you 1 million times, not to exaggerate !!!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been going to Woodward since 2006 and loved it every time. Woodward on Saturday is slow but it still moves at about 10mph in the curb lane. If you want to move faster you move to the outside lanes. Last year in Pontiac in the turn around there was people putting down water for burn outs and the cops did nothing to stop it and actually stopped and watched. Woodward get closed down around 10pm on Saturday so just be aware if your in your car to off Woodward Ave by 10pm. My friends and I always stay at the Comfort Inn just off 14 mile and it's 15 minute drive too Woodward Ave. It's a standard room with 2 doubles and a pool and goes for $60. You park your car in front of your room and they let you use their hose to wash your car too. For Dinner on Saturday night we go to a really nice place called Clayson Steak house on 14th mile. Excellent food and service and price is pretty good as well. It's an upscale family restaurant that even has a band...lol. On Saturday we get passes into the Gm area at 13th mile and Woodward avenue that is a big baseball diamond and park there. Only gm vehicles allowed in there so mostly corvettes and Camaro's. We also get free food as they have 5 food trucks there to serve us. Last year I met Yenko's Daughters Linda and was neat to see pictures of her and her dad. If anyone is interested in meeting up at woodward let me know. If you just want to hang out on Woodward Ave on Saturday get up early and be at Pasquales Restaurant by 7am with your chair and cooler and you can watch the parade of cars going by you.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:37 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pompitup
I have been going to Woodward since 2006 and loved it every time. Woodward on Saturday is slow but it still moves at about 10mph in the curb lane. If you want to move faster you move to the outside lanes. Last year in Pontiac in the turn around there was people putting down water for burn outs and the cops did nothing to stop it and actually stopped and watched. Woodward get closed down around 10pm on Saturday so just be aware if your in your car to off Woodward Ave by 10pm. My friends and I always stay at the Comfort Inn just off 14 mile and it's 15 minute drive too Woodward Ave. It's a standard room with 2 doubles and a pool and goes for $60. You park your car in front of your room and they let you use their hose to wash your car too. For Dinner on Saturday night we go to a really nice place called Clayson Steak house on 14th mile. Excellent food and service and price is pretty good as well. It's an upscale family restaurant that even has a band...lol. On Saturday we get passes into the Gm area at 13th mile and Woodward avenue that is a big baseball diamond and park there. Only gm vehicles allowed in there so mostly corvettes and Camaro's. We also get free food as they have 5 food trucks there to serve us. Last year I met Yenko's Daughters Linda and was neat to see pictures of her and her dad. If anyone is interested in meeting up at woodward let me know. If you just want to hang out on Woodward Ave on Saturday get up early and be at Pasquales Restaurant by 7am with your chair and cooler and you can watch the parade of cars going by you.
Lot of good tips in here. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
WildWilly55 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Just trying help everyone get a better experience from Woodward and it doesn't have to be expensive either. I forgot to mention that Friday and Saturday we go to Doogans which is right on the strip with windows facing the strip and live entertainment right beside it. I met Vicki there for the first time...lol.

Last edited by Pompitup; 03-15-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Vicky87Red (03-13-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Pompitup
Intermediate

Here is a picture of my Trans Am a couple of years ago in the GM area of the baseball field. Notice the food tents and the rest of cars.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Pompitup

Here is a picture of my Trans Am a couple of years ago in the GM area of the baseball field. Notice the food tents and the rest of cars.
sweet
Old 03-13-2017, 12:27 PM
Vicky87Red
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWilly55
Wow going good this year---usually they notify me when they are getting close to booking out---we have 10 signed up already and they have opened up another 15 rooms for the Canadian Corvette Club---this is great!!!
If all works out this year, will be joining your cruise down again, *****.
Room booked just in case
Always a fun group to hang out with and enjoy a weekend together.

Vicky
WildWilly55 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This will likely be an event for me this year as I have missed the last several for sure and miss it.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
This will likely be an event for me this year as I have missed the last several for sure and miss it.
Great to have you along Mike
Old 03-15-2017, 06:01 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
Absolutely!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Woodward dream cruise

Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM
rat123
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
Default parking

Hi
Do you guys travel on woodward ave or leave your cars parked. I have a 1984 corvette and all is working but you always here about how slow things travel on woodward ave and i don't want to have problems
Thanks
​​​​​​​
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM
WildWilly55
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rat123
Hi
Do you guys travel on woodward ave or leave your cars parked. I have a 1984 corvette and all is working but you always here about how slow things travel on woodward ave and i don't want to have problems
Thanks
​​​​​​​
I usually pre save a lot on Woodward that we rent off a T shirt vendor--usually $45 for the day--come and go access. I am working with the T shirt vendor now as the Valvoline has sold the lot we usually go to. She is seeing if it is still available this year---if not there are lots of options for parking. We will be fine. I tell everyone to do the Woodward cruise before lunch while it is still rolling--and park and watch after lunch--as it does become congested. And there are tons of display both factory and vendor to catch in the afternoon.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM
rat123
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi
So if I go I should have no problems with me bringing my 1984 corvette
We went to Carlisle last year and car was okay.
I just want to make sure.
thanks

Originally Posted by WildWilly55
I usually pre save a lot on Woodward that we rent off a T shirt vendor--usually $45 for the day--come and go access. I am working with the T shirt vendor now as the Valvoline has sold the lot we usually go to. She is seeing if it is still available this year---if not there are lots of options for parking. We will be fine. I tell everyone to do the Woodward cruise before lunch while it is still rolling--and park and watch after lunch--as it does become congested. And there are tons of display both factory and vendor to catch in the afternoon.

Quick Reply: Woodward dream cruise