LED to replace high beam and fog

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:47 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default LED to replace high beam and fog

Hi everyone. I would like to replace my high beam and fog lamps with LED. Did someone already did this on there car? Are you happy with the results? What brand did you use?

I want to find something with a similar color as the low beam if possible, not sure I want to install HID replacement kit, I did this on another car but wasn't happy because it take to long to get the high beam

Thanks Stephane
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by The boss
Hriedi everyone. I would like to replace my high beam and fog lamps with LED. Did someone already did this on there car? Are you happy with the results? What brand did you use?

I want to find something with a similar color as the low beam if possible, not sure I want to install HID replacement kit, I did this on another car but wasn't happy because it take to long to get the high beam

Thanks Stephane
I tried LEDs in the fogs (C5) and although they looked awesome and drew no current, they simply weren't bright enough to be useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGstring:
MRNZ06 (04-05-2017), The boss (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The boss
Hi everyone. I would like to replace my high beam and fog lamps with LED. Did someone already did this on there car? Are you happy with the results? What brand did you use?

Thanks Stephane
I did the fogs on my C5. Had a real issue finding bulbs that fit correctly. Tried three different ones that were supposed to before I was done.
I really like the end result though.

If you have a C5 installation is laborious so I would do the signals and parking lights at the same time.

Last edited by formula1nut; 02-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
The boss (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

only did the HID fogs ($85) a few years ago - all the vendors are in the US - you can check the C6 general section for options
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I did my Fog Lights late last season and they finally now match the stock headlight color much better. (4000k, I think, but don't quote me)
They are easy to do on the C6.
I did order a set off Fleabay a few years back and they did not fit (the round opening on the plastic housing is very small so the light wouldn't fit into it even though the socket was correct. I am still stuck with these as I didn't try to install them right away, even though I told the vendor they were wrong to list them for the C6 Vette).

I got the proper ones from an actual store here in Scarboro, excellent quality and I think they were $50 each.

I wouldn't recommend them for the Highbeams though, and even the owner of the store doesn't recommend them for Highbeams as they don't project light the same as a HID light does, so therefore negating the purpose of a highbeam.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all of you

Corrado: the high beam are the concern, maybe I can just get a bulb that will match the color and still can make a quick flash signal to someone, these cars are low so wen you cross another car with is high beam on, you realy want to let them know they are blinding you.
I did install hid on low and high on my wife's car but the ballast are way to slow and the bulb take to long to warm up.
The fog being a little slow is not a big deal if the color match the low beam

thanks again
Stephane
Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just purchased a set of LED's from a Cdn vendor in Alberta. Found him on facebook by chance and apparently these are new tech, brighter than HID's and last about 50 times longer and just plug in. On facebook they are LED Eagle and the response/communication has been incredible from these guys. Mind you I bought it for my pick up truck and will buy a set for the Z06 also. I'll keep you posted. They distribute from amazon.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:12 PM
scube
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep us updated on the results and how the install works out
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scube
Keep us updated on the results and how the install works out
I've installed them in my Dodge Ram already and all I can say is wow. I am currently in the processof ordering low beams and fogs for the Z. I'll keep everything posted with pic write ups etc.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Stay clear of the cheap led bulbs. They really aren't that bright. I changed the interior lights on my suv.
I had the same issue as Corrado. The bulb is larger for the housing. I forced it in.
I found bulbs from Phillips are pretty good. They're triple of what I originally paid for the cheaper ones.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:43 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
I've installed them in my Dodge Ram already and all I can say is wow. I am currently in the processof ordering low beams and fogs for the Z. I'll keep everything posted with pic write ups etc.
What brand are they, I have seen a lot of different prices from all kind of vendors who are all saying there stuff is the best, I haved look at zenon depot, there stuff seem expensive but do they perform great???

If high beam are a little different, it's not to bad as thet dont light up in the same time.

Also hard to get LED lower than 6000k, my goal is to find at least the fog that will match as close as possible the OEM low beam. Plan B will be to replace low beam with 5000k to match LED but I would prefer not to go to 6000k and higher, they get bluish and that's not what I want

Last edited by The boss; 03-30-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: add infos
Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 AM
scube
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdn Z06 Mike
Did everything fit inside the dust cover on the Ram or did you have to drill it and use grommet? Any other mods or cutting to get them to fit, any flicker or bulb out warning?
Old 04-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Hemi Mag
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LEDs are good as a colour match only, your stock halogen bulbs put more usable light on the road. LEDs do not have the throw that halogen or HIDs do.

HIDs would be ok in your foglights, but I wouldn't suggest them in your highbeams as they take time to come on to full brightness.

You can see in the LED pic that there is a lot of foreground light and not as much lighting the grass at the end of the lot compared to the Halogen and HID

AC

Last edited by Hemi Mag; 04-06-2017 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The boss (04-06-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To LED to replace high beam and fog

Quick Reply: LED to replace high beam and fog