Canadian Events Canada, eh?

High Lift Garage Door Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default High Lift Garage Door Conversion

I started with a search on a new garage door and since it comes with all new hardware I asked the cost to go to a high lift conversion. They're claiming the cost will be (approximately) an additional $350.00 more, but I'm having difficulty understanding the added cost since the new door comes with all new hardware and installation.

From what I understand it requires the same amount of track with a different radius (15" from horiz, to vert.) along with slightly different drums, cable and maybe springs. I still can't understand the added costs since the high lift conversion hardware complete is less than $300.00 which I'm already paying (garage door hardware included) for with a new garage door.

I'm going to do some more reading on this but does anyone have any experience doing there own as this maybe the direction I may take.

I don't mind paying for the service, but why do I need to pay for the hardware and installation twice if installation is included in the price of the door?

The track needs to be raised approximately 26"

Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Frank - If you don't already have one, the high-lift door conversion will need a "side-winder" type of lift motor which gets mounted to the side of the door (as opposed to a traditional overhead motor). The side-winder motor drives the door shaft directly which will be located up-high on the wall.

This might be the reason for the extra cost.

That, and the luxury tax for high-lift doors....

Last edited by VETFEVER; 02-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Maymyvetteliveforevr (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Garage Door Opener - Hi Lift

Good Point.....

I priced out, only changing the Garage Door Opener, Rails,Drums..etc for my existing Double Garage Door....I have a current Door Opener, in the middle, and want the Door to go to the ceiling (10 ft)...
The New Door Opener is a Sidemount Liftmaster 8500, and the install cost & parts (rails, drums...etc) is $1100 + tax.

Can anyone Chime in to provide additional Info, Quotes or Experience.....
Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me know when you're ready to install, I'll bring the muscle
Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

When I first did my door, I had a local guy modify the existing. He extended the tracks, added a panel and hardware, changed the springs to adjust for the new weight and remounted the original opener (std center mount) for ~350.

If since changed doors completely and added the jack shaft opener.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:09 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
Good Point.....

I priced out, only changing the Garage Door Opener, Rails,Drums..etc for my existing Double Garage Door....I have a current Door Opener, in the middle, and want the Door to go to the ceiling (10 ft)...
The New Door Opener is a Sidemount Liftmaster 8500, and the install cost & parts (rails, drums...etc) is $1100 + tax.

Can anyone Chime in to provide additional Info, Quotes or Experience.....
Thanks
I used a guy named Paul - his Company goes by MTO Garage Door Sustems - VG job and good pricing. 416 818 4277
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply everyone.

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Frank - If you don't already have one, the high-lift door conversion will need a "side-winder" type of lift motor which gets mounted to the side of the door.
That, and the luxury tax for high-lift doors....
I already have the Liftmaster 3800 (bought new couple years ago) still in the box and I was going to install it, therefore it's not part of the cost as I supply and install.

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
Good Point.....
Thanks
My question is, The $3000.00 price of one garage door includes all new hardware and installation, why is there an extra $300-$350.00 charge for the high lift conversion hardware if I'm already being charged for new hardware for the new garage door? My confusion is the cost of hardware included in the $4000.00 quote and $300.00 price for hardware for the high lift conversion as the garage door comes with new track, drums, bearing, cable, springs etc. All they have to do is size it slightly different for high lift.

Originally Posted by Mickman
Let me know when you're ready to install, I'll bring the muscle
Can I quote you on that?

Originally Posted by KOZ
When I first did my door, I had a local guy modify the existing. He extended the tracks, added a panel and hardware, changed the springs to adjust for the new weight and remounted the original opener (std center mount) for ~350.

If since changed doors completely and added the jack shaft opener.
There ya go, I wonder if this person sells new garage doors?

I used a guy named Paul - his Company goes by MTO Garage Door Sustems - VG job and good pricing. 416 818 4277
Thanks for the info Jack, hopefully someone can shed light on the high added cost.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 02-26-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Wow, $3000 for a garage door? Is it gold plated?

The door manufacturer likely sells the standard door as a complete kit ready to install. They also likely sell the high-lift kit as another complete kit. So, the installer likely needs to buy both the door + high lift kits, not just a door with some different track parts.

I'm not sure what the door is, but a typical good quality 9' x 7' insulated door kit is easily under $1000. I've installed 4 doors and 2 openers myself now. They're not that hard to do. Guys in this area will install a door for about $300-$500.
Maymyvetteliveforevr (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Wow, $3000 for a garage door? Is it gold plated?

The door manufacturer likely sells the standard door as a complete kit ready to install. They also likely sell the high-lift kit as another complete kit. So, the installer likely needs to buy both the door + high lift kits, not just a door with some different track parts.

I'm not sure what the door is, but a typical good quality 9' x 7' insulated door kit is easily under $1000. I've installed 4 doors and 2 openers myself now. They're not that hard to do. Guys in this area will install a door for about $300-$500.
Thanks for the reply Peter,

I've priced out Amarr, Clopay, Garaga, and Richard Wicox (at the home show) and the pricing for a 14' X 8' door with glass inserts have come in at $2750. to $4785.00. I wanted a R12 well insulated door with weather-stripping trim around the door. I know I can get a much lower priced Wayne Dalton as well as the above mentioned manufactures at half the price, but I didn't like the quality.

I had assumed that the hardware didn't come in a kit as all doors need a 3 week manufacturing lead time in order to manufacture the door as there are so many options, they're made to order therefore the hardware should be the same.

I'll have to sit on this and think about it as I'd prefer not to pay for the hardware twice.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 02-28-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

This may help you.

I've used this company before and am about to use them for a new shop I'm building at the house.

I don't question their prices as I've always got top notch service and their install are maticulaous.

Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Z06 1of38

Thanks for the reply, I see no mention of a "high lift conversion" but I'll assume you had it done. Is the "20" radius" the extra material needed for the high lift conv. and if so, did they only charge you for extra material needed for the higher lift and no extra labour?

That's what I was expecting as installation and hardware is included in the installation of the garage door.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 03-02-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Z06 1of38

Thanks for the reply, I see no mention of a "high lift conversion" but I'll assume you had it done. Is the "20" radius" the extra material needed for the high lift conv. and if so, did they only charge you for extra material needed for the higher lift and no extra labour?

That's what I was expecting as installation and hardware is included in the installation of the garage door.
Also found this one from the summer of 2015 when I had my attached garage done.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Think cookie cutter Frank.

Single, single and a half and double doors are all standard height/width and probably come with standard gear for installation. Even though you ask for the high lift door, the door itself probably only comes with the standard height kit and the extended height kit is just the extra bag of goodies. Your vendor doesn't put it together as one kit.

Not knowing what is included with the extra height kit, I am assuming it will replace parts from the standard height kit.

Unless you're ordering a custom built door with special trim options or whatnot, I would suspect you are getting an off the shelf door.

Have you asked your vendor about this?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Have you asked your vendor about this?
Thanks for the reply Stan.

Yes I have asked and have been told that the material for high lift is about $300.00 more than the standard hardware and they were caught off guard when I told them it's less than $100.00 more than the standard hardware. They also told me that the installation is much more involved and I told them it's about an hour more work (for my garage) than installing the standard hardware (for a pro) and they had no answer to that. They didn't realize I researched it already.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Give Tommy a call at http://navidadoors.com/
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-16-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:16 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Thanks for the reply Stan.

Yes I have asked and have been told that the material for high lift is about $300.00 more than the standard hardware and they were caught off guard when I told them it's less than $100.00 more than the standard hardware. They also told me that the installation is much more involved and I told them it's about an hour more work (for my garage) than installing the standard hardware (for a pro) and they had no answer to that. They didn't realize I researched it already.
nice work Frank.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:49 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Yup - he's my buddy and co-worker. My first, he too modified the tracks/lifted the operator but you are limited doing it this way. Proper and to get more out of it (assuming you have the height) is to maximize the height of the tracks and install a side-mount motor. Call Paul and you can mention me

Lello

Get notified of new replies

To High Lift Garage Door Conversion

Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM
tmalejko
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also go with a horizontally moving garage door. Contour Closures sells them in the U.S. as of 2017.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tmalejko
You can also go with a horizontally moving garage door. Contour Closures sells them in the U.S. as of 2017.
Thank you for the reply, I knew that option was available, but I just don't like it.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Cdn UFO
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=Maymyvetteliveforevr;1594180248]I started with a search on a new garage door and since it comes with all new hardware I asked the cost to go to a high lift conversion. They're claiming the cost will be (approximately) an additional $350.00 more, but I'm having difficulty understanding the added cost since the new door comes with all new hardware and installation.

From what I understand it requires the same amount of track with a different radius (15" from horiz, to vert.) along with slightly different drums, cable and maybe springs. I still can't understand the added costs since the high lift conversion hardware complete is less than $300.00 which I'm already paying (garage door hardware included) for with a new garage door.

I'm going to do some more reading on this but does anyone have any experience doing there own as this maybe the direction I may take.

I don't mind paying for the service, but why do I need to pay for the hardware and installation twice if installation is included in the price of the door?

The track needs to be raised approximately 26"

Sorry for the rant.[/QU

After you remove the old door, take down the existing back frame and install floor to ceiling back frame, this is extra cost for the lumber and extra time to do for a hi lift door. The springs cost a little more. You have to set up to reach the ceiling to hang the new hi lift track, this all takes more time as well as the extra cost for the hi lift track kit. The cables are longer so there is a extra charge for them. $300.00-$400.00 extra seems to be in the correct range. Sorry Frank I stopped doing residential. I just do commercial now.
Thanks Randy
Maymyvetteliveforevr (03-07-2018)

Quick Reply: High Lift Garage Door Conversion