Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Importing an unfit vehicle in to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Importing an unfit vehicle in to Canada

Looking for any info on the import process for an unfit vehicle. I have done a few cars and a few bikes myself, without a broker but all were driven across. All went through the RIV process and were certified and plated within a few days. I'm looking at two different project possibilities, both C3 convertibles. Either one will be coming over on a trailer, and after the paperwork at the US and Canadian border points I would normally be heading for a Canadian Tire for the certification and RIV processing. With a vehicle this old there is no RIV requirement, so I will have my US title. So after all my drivel....my question....I need the vehicle in my name....will they give me just the vehicle portion of the ownership or maybe an Unfit ownership...if they have that any longer....

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.....
Old 04-06-2017, 06:50 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I believe that with a vehicle that falls outside the RIV requirements all you need is the title and you're good to go. Doesn't matter what condition it's in. Just don't declare it as parts or it'll never be able to be registered again,
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I would expect to be sent in to pay taxes but something makes me think that there is a form they will fill out that will exempt me from taxes when I change the ownership. But I will be checking in to this with Service Ontario. I will also have to obtain an AES number for the US Border guys. Another $75. And I hear what you are saying about not declaring it as parts only. You can't mess with the border crossing....nothing but grief.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I think they changed the rules. If you are importing a vehicle you must use a broker. If that's the case they can handle everything.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:39 PM
0Northern Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
I would expect to be sent in to pay taxes but something makes me think that there is a form they will fill out that will exempt me from taxes when I change the ownership. But I will be checking in to this with Service Ontario. I will also have to obtain an AES number for the US Border guys. Another $75. And I hear what you are saying about not declaring it as parts only. You can't mess with the border crossing....nothing but grief.
You will pay 5% at the border crossing, and then the other 8% at the MTO when registering the vehicle. You can either bring your paperwork to the MTO right away and pay the 8% and get an unfit title, or you can get your safety done and bring to MTO and get fit title.
The following users liked this post:
Norm07 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 04:35 AM
Lilly Smith
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian71
I think they changed the rules. If you are importing a vehicle you must use a broker. If that's the case they can handle everything.
Agree, I am already looking for a broker .. Any reviews on these guys clearit.ca/services/importing-cars ? I never used services like these before.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing an unfit vehicle in to Canada

Quick Reply: Importing an unfit vehicle in to Canada