Where in the GTA to buy Z51 Replica wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Where in the GTA to buy Z51 Replica wheels

Hi everyone.

New to the forum as I am picking up my C7 in two days. This is going to be my daily driver and I intend to drive it over the winter. As such, I am looking to get a set of Z51 Replica rims in the 18/19 sizing to put winter's on them.

Looking for recommendations on where I can find these in the GTA. Other thoughts about winter wheel / tire set up would be welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

I know a few from our HDR's and cruises that have gone to http://www.bramptontirewarehouse.ca/ in Brampton and have no issues. Been meaning to out there myself, just finding the time.

Inexpensive repro's.
The following users liked this post:
i3kc (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
I know a few from our HDR's and cruises that have gone to http://www.bramptontirewarehouse.ca/ in Brampton and have no issues. Been meaning to out there myself, just finding the time.

Inexpensive repro's.
Thanks for the referral. I contacted the shop and was referred to their supplier's site. They had the exact look and size I was looking for but unfortunately, the Z51 replicas in 18/19 do not fit the C7. I called customer service and given the explanation that it had to do with the design of the Brembo brakes in that it didn't have the proper clearance. In fact, they didn't have anything that would fit the C7 at this time.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah, on the C7, the Z51 wheels are actually 19/20 combination due to the larger Brembo rotors and calipers. The base C7 had the 18/19 combo.

I'm not sure you'll find a 18/19 combo to fit the larger rotors.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:26 AM
i3kc
Instructor

When I talked to the supplier, they advised me that they are close to getting something for the C7, but it would only come in the 19/20 combination. Looks like there are very little options (appears take offs are the only economical option) for a base Stingray (To mount Winters).

I'm starting to lean towards using the OEM 18/19 for my Winters and buying OEM Z51 take offs or something in the 19/20 combo for summers. Probably just swap Summer/Winter tires each season change over until the summer's are worn, then look for something then.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

If you want a set of nice wheels that have the proper offsets check out these. I have Cray Spiders as my winter set.

The first set of wheels that I ordered (that were stated as a guaranteed fit) had terrible offsets and they hung outside the fender.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594355955
Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
If you want a set of nice wheels that have the proper offsets check out these. I have Cray Spiders as my winter set.

The first set of wheels that I ordered (that were stated as a guaranteed fit) had terrible offsets and they hung outside the fender.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594355955
Nice wheels! I've found some local distributors of Cray. Waiting on quotes.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

There's a vendor on this forum called House of Wheels. He has all sorts of tire/wheel combos.
You can try the classifieds. There are some deals to be had. I got a set of speedline wheels, tires, and sensors last summer for $1700 USD. Even with the poor exchange I got a good deal.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:23 AM
CdnC7
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Can a C7 handle snowstorms and unplowed streets even with snow tires considering the Z51 rear tires are quite wide (285/30/20)?

Side note: During the winter time, I started to miss it and brought it out a few times when the temps > 0 and roads were clear, aside from the strange looks I was getting (and someone actually questioned why I had it out in the winter), it wasn't very comfortable getting in and out with a bulky jacket etc.

Also, I have never tried, but can it go through a regular car wash where the tires go through a rail, without damage to the rims? I usually either hand wash it or take it to a touchless wash (without the rails), but always wondered whether the Z51 rears cleared those car wash rails.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

The problem with Corvettes in the winter is the ground clearance. Even with the right tires, you can't get over the problem that even at stock ride height you're going to have snow hitting the bottom of the car A LOT. And if you have to drive on a street where they leave you one of those "snow barriers" from plowing, forget about it, you'll destroy your front end trying to drive through it. Best to just take it out when the snow is very light or non existent, and take another method to get around during and immediately following any major snowfalls. I drove my old C5 through 7 Toronto winters but whenever we got a major storm I borrowed a car or stayed home from work, it wasn't worth the hassle.

As far as car washes go, with the C5 I had a weekly appointment at a local detail shop to get it handwashed. Back then they only charged $10, so that was a no brainer. Now I think the price is closer to $20 so it's not quite the bargain. But you can always go to one of the many available car washes at Canadian Tires and Essos where there are no rails that pull you along but instead you drive up to the center of the wash and the car gets sprayed over by a completely touchless system.

Last edited by Patman; 06-14-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian71
There's a vendor on this forum called House of Wheels. He has all sorts of tire/wheel combos.
You can try the classifieds. There are some deals to be had. I got a set of speedline wheels, tires, and sensors last summer for $1700 USD. Even with the poor exchange I got a good deal.
Yeah, I went to the vendor section and they do have some pretty good prices. In fact, there are a lot of vendors with good pricing on parts.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7AW
Can a C7 handle snowstorms and unplowed streets even with snow tires considering the Z51 rear tires are quite wide (285/30/20)?

Side note: During the winter time, I started to miss it and brought it out a few times when the temps > 0 and roads were clear, aside from the strange looks I was getting (and someone actually questioned why I had it out in the winter), it wasn't very comfortable getting in and out with a bulky jacket etc.

Also, I have never tried, but can it go through a regular car wash where the tires go through a rail, without damage to the rims? I usually either hand wash it or take it to a touchless wash (without the rails), but always wondered whether the Z51 rears cleared those car wash rails.
I was hoping to get 18/19s in the Z51 style (replicas). I love the look and decided against the Z51 package as I don't track and drive about 20 km's / day on average.

Lucky for me, I have a touch-less car wash without rails right by my house. It's the one where the car parks inside the unit and they apparatus rotates around the vehicles and washes. When I'm done, I just drive out.

Originally Posted by Patman
The problem with Corvettes in the winter is the ground clearance. Even with the right tires, you can't get over the problem that even at stock ride height you're going to have snow hitting the bottom of the car A LOT. And if you have to drive on a street where they leave you one of those "snow barriers" from plowing, forget about it, you'll destroy your front end trying to drive through it. Best to just take it out when the snow is very light or non existent, and take another method to get around during and immediately following any major snowfalls. I drove my old C5 through 7 Toronto winters but whenever we got a major storm I borrowed a car or stayed home from work, it wasn't worth the hassle.

As far as car washes go, with the C5 I had a weekly appointment at a local detail shop to get it handwashed. Back then they only charged $10, so that was a no brainer. Now I think the price is closer to $20 so it's not quite the bargain. But you can always go to one of the many available car washes at Canadian Tires and Essos where there are no rails that pull you along but instead you drive up to the center of the wash and the car gets sprayed over by a completely touchless system.
Snowy days would be a challenge, however my job allows me to work from home whenever I need. So if there is a storm, I would just work from home for a day or two. I already work from home twice a week, so I'll schedule my work from home days according to snowfall. The side streets usually get cleared up in a day or two where I live.

I know the practical solution is to get a winter beater, but what fun would that be?

Last edited by i3kc; 06-14-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Patman hit the nail on the head. Ground clearance is the only restriction of driving in the winter.

A good set of winter tires give you very good grip and the traction / stability control on the C7 is very good.

I'm not sure if you guys in Toronto remember that first major snowstorm last winter on December 15th. I drove in heavy deep snow down the Gardener and QEW just fine. Cars with all season tires were getting stuck.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:37 AM
JB08
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by C7AW
See owner's manual, it specifically says not to put the car through an automatic car wash.

Last edited by JB08; 06-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Hi everyone.

Just took delivery yesterday and can't be more happy. After driving her around for a bit and reading everyone's thoughts on driving in winter in Canada, I am more than confident that it won't be an issue. I found the power delivery very smooth and not "torquey" and the ground clearance at stock set up not too low. I've driven imports with less ground clearance and never had and issue (with winter tires, All seasons was a different story). At this time, I'm going to put finding wheels on the back burner. I'll likely go a few seasons of swapping tires until the summers that came with the Vette need to be replaced. At that time, I'll look for a 19/20 set up for summers and use the stock 18/19 for winter. That is of course unless I come across a super deal.

Shout out to CanadianVetster for the front splitter. My first mod, hours after taking delivery.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Attached Images   

Last edited by i3kc; 06-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Congrats!!

Remember when shopping for rims, be sure to test fit them on the car first before mounting the tires. The offsets on vettes are very unique.

A lot of rim manufacturers will not take the wheel back if tires are mounted regardless of whether they fit.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Make sure whatever that ladder is hanging from is well secured - if that fell it would be a BIG OUCHY

Get notified of new replies

To Where in the GTA to buy Z51 Replica wheels

Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Congrats!!

Remember when shopping for rims, be sure to test fit them on the car first before mounting the tires. The offsets on vettes are very unique.

A lot of rim manufacturers will not take the wheel back if tires are mounted regardless of whether they fit.
Great tip! I'm leaning towards take offs or manufacturers that make wheels specifically for Corvettes like Crays.

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Make sure whatever that ladder is hanging from is well secured - if that fell it would be a BIG OUCHY
Yeah, that would not be good. I was thinking about it the other day. It is an indoor ladder, maybe time to move it to the basement!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

That is a great looking C7! I love the base wheels in silver, most people opt for them in black, but they look way better in silver IMO. You've got the last year those wheels are available too, for 2018 they have discontinued the 18/19" wheels and all Stingrays get the Z51 style 19/20" wheels.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patman
That is a great looking C7! I love the base wheels in silver, most people opt for them in black, but they look way better in silver IMO. You've got the last year those wheels are available too, for 2018 they have discontinued the 18/19" wheels and all Stingrays get the Z51 style 19/20" wheels.
Thanks! For a white Vette, I do like the painted silver wheels. I've owned two other white cars and always gravitated to silver wheels. I do also like the black Z51 look, but I think I would need more black accents to make it work on mine.

Yeah, the 18/19 wheels from the base 2016/2017 have such a limited run. I'm glad that they are making a standard wheel size across all trim lines. I hated buying cars and having to upgrade the wheels because a higher trim had larger wheels (for aesthetics).

Last edited by i3kc; 06-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Where in the GTA to buy Z51 Replica wheels