Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Travel to cape spear from the states

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:28 PM
silas1234
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Travel to cape spear from the states

Anyone made the trip in a corvette? We will be camping along the way. Planning on stopping in PEI and Cape Breton.

Last edited by silas1234; 06-13-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

We travelled to the East Coast last year. First stop was PEI, took the bridge over. Spent the next day touring around, Cavendish Beach took most of the day. Took the ferry back, only issue was accommodations near the ferry terminal but if you are camping you will have no problem. Wish we would have spent two full days, maybe more, there but we were limited at long we could be away.

The Cabot Trail is stunning. If you can travel it counter clockwise, always on the ocean side. The scenery is incredible. It was under construction in many places but other than a bit of mud it was not too bad. See the distillery in Cape Breton, Glenora, I believe is the name, worth the drive off the trail. Not sure I would want to haul a trailer around the trail but I have no idea what your camping equipment consists of.

We did see a lot of camp grounds along the way, don't think you will have any problem finding a spot. It is Canada's 150th this year so there may be a lot of things happening.

Have not been to Newfoundland but your ultimate destination sounds incredible. Travel safe have a good time.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM
silas1234
Pro

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
We travelled to the East Coast last year. First stop was PEI, took the bridge over. Spent the next day touring around, Cavendish Beach took most of the day. Took the ferry back, only issue was accommodations near the ferry terminal but if you are camping you will have no problem. Wish we would have spent two full days, maybe more, there but we were limited at long we could be away.

The Cabot Trail is stunning. If you can travel it counter clockwise, always on the ocean side. The scenery is incredible. It was under construction in many places but other than a bit of mud it was not too bad. See the distillery in Cape Breton, Glenora, I believe is the name, worth the drive off the trail. Not sure I would want to haul a trailer around the trail but I have no idea what your camping equipment consists of.

We did see a lot of camp grounds along the way, don't think you will have any problem finding a spot. It is Canada's 150th this year so there may be a lot of things happening.

Have not been to Newfoundland but your ultimate destination sounds incredible. Travel safe have a good time.
forgot to mention I was planning on doing it in a z06. Are the roads in good enough condition for a vette?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

I don't think we were on any roads, other than the construction on Cape Breton that would cause a problem and even there if you took it easy there would be no issues. "Allflash" did the trip last year with is C7Z got it really dirty but it cleaned up really nice. Have a look and see if you can find his thread from I think September of 2016. Les took some really good pictures.

He had some good tips for getting on and off the ferries with ground clearance.

Best of Luck.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM
gaspeddleZ07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems. The major roads are fine as are the majority of secondary roads. The trip to Cape Spear is good as well, but make sure you stop at Chafe's in Petty Harbour for fish and chips. Lots of roads to explore and amazing vistas. However, try not to travel through Terra Nova park at night (the highway runs through it) as the moose are notorious and unforgiving. safe travels!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by silas1234
Anyone made the trip in a corvette? We will be camping along the way. Planning on stopping in PEI and Cape Breton.
Which ferry you gonna take? I have been there but not in my Corvette, should be a blast on The Rock!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM
silas1234
Pro

Originally Posted by gaspeddleZ07
You shouldn't have any problems. The major roads are fine as are the majority of secondary roads. The trip to Cape Spear is good as well, but make sure you stop at Chafe's in Petty Harbour for fish and chips. Lots of roads to explore and amazing vistas. However, try not to travel through Terra Nova park at night (the highway runs through it) as the moose are notorious and unforgiving. safe travels!
Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Which ferry you gonna take? I have been there but not in my Corvette, should be a blast on The Rock!
not sure on that still in the planning stage. Will the vette go on the ferry without any issues?
Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Can't speak to the ferries, but a good person to PM is Allflash as Les has done that trip in his Z06.

Been out east every year the past 4 yrs. You will enjoy yourself thoroughly in your car. Beautiful roads and scenery.

For me, my best experiences were those that the locals recommended when I asked for things THEY would do vs the touristy stuff. They offered up great advice and places to eat and are super friendly as well.

There is the Graham Bell museum in Baddeck (on the way to Cape Breton), Dingwall beach hidden away that is well worth the short hike, Middlehead Trail at the end of the parking lot at Keltic Lodge (take a guided hike - starts around 9am and has you back by noon). In Charlottetown, check out Founders Hall for a great history lesson of the formation of Canada. If you get a chance check out Hopewell Rocks as well (world's highest tides) Cape Enrage is a short 30min drive from there which offers up zip-lining overseeing the ocean. As for the Rock get "screeched". Cape Spear is a great destination. And do try to avoid night driving to avoid the moose - with the height of our cars you would just have their torso go through your windshield...

Just some things off the top of my head. I am envious as that part of Canada begs for a vette road trip, have only been out with the family, but one year I plan on trailering it and doing multiple day cruises!!!

If you are going through Maine you will see a big improvement in roads when you cross into Canada . Great place to stop is St. Andrews (check out Ministers Island if you can - tide dependent - you literally drive across the ocean floor to get across, but may be a little rough for the Z, but a great photo-op nonetheless).

Enjoy the trip.

Oh, and collect a little bit of sand wherever you go...its cool to see the differences in colour between each area you will be visiting.

Last edited by raztek; 06-14-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

not sure on that still in the planning stage. Will the vette go on the ferry without any issues?
The ferry should be no problem, if you land on the west side you can drive across the rock and have no problem maxing out if you know what I mean.

This is a great place to stay, great whale watching too. I could see them afar in the ocean from my cottage.

http://www.celticrendezvouscottages.com/
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

We are doing the east coast this July and going to the Moncton Nationals. Went there 2 years ago with 6 Vettes and did the Moncton Nationals. We are trying to do some different things skipping Cape Breton and doing PEI for 2 days. Have booked all B&B the only way to go.We will be doing Minister Island (hope to drive across we are there at the perfect tide) staying at a B&B there. Down to Cape Cod then Finger Lakes and home
Old 06-14-2017, 09:25 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
We are doing the east coast this July and going to the Moncton Nationals. Went there 2 years ago with 6 Vettes and did the Moncton Nationals. We are trying to do some different things skipping Cape Breton and doing PEI for 2 days. Have booked all B&B the only way to go.We will be doing Minister Island (hope to drive across we are there at the perfect tide) staying at a B&B there. Down to Cape Cod then Finger Lakes and home
Have heard Letchworth Park is a place to see (west of Finger Lakes) for your route back
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 PM
gaspeddleZ07
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have no problems with the ferry clearances they load with very little angle. Just a word about the ferry... the Sydney / Port Aux Basques is the shortest (about 7 hours), runs more frequently, and is the most popular ferry to take. The Sydney / Argentia (about 18 hours) runs less frequently and can be prone to weather delays.

https://www.marineatlantic.ca/en/Before-You-Go/

Get notified of new replies

To Travel to cape spear from the states

Quick Reply: Travel to cape spear from the states