Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Aftermarket Lowering Bolts "Looking for feedback"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:21 PM
ramaccc
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Aftermarket Lowering Bolts "Looking for feedback"

I realize this subject has been beat up however I'm needing to replace my OEM bolts as they have pretty much collapsed to nothing. I am down to 2 different choices and would really appreciate any feedback from those of you whom have installed either one. Would love to know how long you've had them on and any pros and cons.

Corvette Central Reproductions and VMS lowering bolts.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Definitely VMS racing! I actually bought a set for my C7 (which is on order) as I feel they are the best out there. They use Delrin pads on the end and that articulating foot promises that it'll be quieter than other aftermarket bolts.
The following users liked this post:
ramaccc (09-09-2017)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 PM
ramaccc
Instructor

Well just getting around to providing an update to my original post for those who have an interest.

So I decided to take on a few upgrades given I'd have most of the back end and front end opened up to change the lowering bolts. I decided to go with RPI bolts and I also swapped out the F55 shocks (due to extremly harsh ride since I bought the car) with Z06 shocks and swapped out stock sways with Z51 sways.

Here is the interesting thing I discovered when I got into this project. When I took the F55 shocks out I noticed a yellow strap coming out from within the dust boots on all 4 shocks. So I lifted the cover and man was I surprised, I found that all four shocks still had the shipping pucks in them and this was the reason why the ride was so harsh. Ya exactly, are you kidding me....I'm the 4th owner and the car has just over 100k, so are you telling me the other owners had no issue with the ride. One of the shocks was also collapsed. Someone said to me to contact the dealer and see what they would do. I contacted the original dealer that sold it and did the PDI and becuase it was not within warranty they basically said oops sorry!

I swapped out shocks more so because of pricing and just as a exercise to see how the car would be. I have to say the combination of Z06 shocks and Z51 sway bars work really well together.

For the lowering bolts I read alot about the urethane breaking down over time and becoming an issue. So I made some pucks to fit perfectly around the pads which should last the life of the car. They are made from HDPE - High-density polyethylene whcih from what I was told is better than Delrin for the application. What I could have done is just cut off the the rubber bushing on the old lowering bolts and installed the pucks but I had bought the new ones already. The pucks I made would be the perfect solution for those whom just wanted to leave in old bolts and cut them down.

Anyways thanks to all whom provided advice along the way as I'm happy with suspension set up and the stance of car...Now onto possible cam swap.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Patman
Race Director

I'm interested to see what your ride height looks like with this setup once you've driven it enough to fully settle. With my C7 I have decided not to use the VMS racing bolts that I bought, simply because I have not heard of anyone that has put tons of miles on them and not had a problem in the long run. That seems to hold true with all aftermarket bolts actually, eventually they all seem to fail. So my plan is to simply use the stock bolts at their lowest setting, and possibly cut some of the bushing off (but not at first in case I have any warranty issues with the new car, I don't want to give them any reason to deny a claim)

But if your setup works well in the long run, maybe you could make some as a side business and fill a need in the Corvette world for a perfectly reliable lowering solution that lowers the car more than usual but without the super high price tag of drop spindles or coil overs.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

I have had bolts with delrin pads for several years on my car. The one thing I have experienced (as well as others) is that the "squeak" when they get wet.

It can be quite loud....
Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Patman
Race Director

How many miles have you put on the car with those lowering bolts installed Jack?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ramaccc
Here is the interesting thing I discovered when I got into this project. When I took the F55 shocks out I noticed a yellow strap coming out from within the dust boots on all 4 shocks. So I lifted the cover and man was I surprised, I found that all four shocks still had the shipping pucks in them and this was the reason why the ride was so harsh. Ya exactly, are you kidding me....I'm the 4th owner and the car has just over 100k, so are you telling me the other owners had no issue with the ride. One of the shocks was also collapsed. Someone said to me to contact the dealer and see what they would do. I contacted the original dealer that sold it and did the PDI and becuase it was not within warranty they basically said oops sorry!
The same thing happened to me. I am the 2nd owner of my '05. Bought it with just over 50k, I added another 50k over 4 years and had the car in for service at WN last year and they told me the shipping pucks were still on the car and asked if they should be removed. Well duh! Car sits lower now and the ride is a bit smoother too.

Have been considering doing the same swap as what you just did. Shocks from a Z06 and a F55 sway bar. Did you buy new or get them used?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:03 PM
ramaccc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
The same thing happened to me. I am the 2nd owner of my '05. Bought it with just over 50k, I added another 50k over 4 years and had the car in for service at WN last year and they told me the shipping pucks were still on the car and asked if they should be removed. Well duh! Car sits lower now and the ride is a bit smoother too.

Have been considering doing the same swap as what you just did. Shocks from a Z06 and a F55 sway bar. Did you buy new or get them used?
Bought used, low mileage. Spoke to many individauls about the combination and all indications were it was a good combo. I also went one size bigger for rear wheels which the larger sway bar helps.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm interested to see what your ride height looks like with this setup once you've driven it enough to fully settle. With my C7 I have decided not to use the VMS racing bolts that I bought, simply because I have not heard of anyone that has put tons of miles on them and not had a problem in the long run. That seems to hold true with all aftermarket bolts actually, eventually they all seem to fail. So my plan is to simply use the stock bolts at their lowest setting, and possibly cut some of the bushing off (but not at first in case I have any warranty issues with the new car, I don't want to give them any reason to deny a claim)

But if your setup works well in the long run, maybe you could make some as a side business and fill a need in the Corvette world for a perfectly reliable lowering solution that lowers the car more than usual but without the super high price tag of drop spindles or coil overs.
Pat. you won't get much drop, did it and maybe, maybe, dropped 1/2" at the very very most. Not sure if the mag ride has something to do with lowering, i would not think so, but don t know.
gl
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Patman
Race Director

I'm going to see if Sami is available to lower my car this coming weekend, first I'll try it with the stock bolts set to their lowest setting and if that's not enough then eventually I'll get some of the stock bushing cut off to lower it another 1/2" or so. If I can get close to the ride height of my C6 I'll be happy (see the attached pic below)

(it had a half rib cut off the rear bushing, and the front was at it's lowest setting but with the bushing fully intact)
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I like that bushing solution. I'd think it has a good chance of lasting a ling time. Might be squeaky though.

If you buy a Corvette with magnetic ride always check for those shock stuffers. It's amazing how many people have found them still there.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Patman
Race Director

Originally Posted by walleyejack
Pat. you won't get much drop, did it and maybe, maybe, dropped 1/2" at the very very most. Not sure if the mag ride has something to do with lowering, i would not think so, but don t know.
gl
It came down more than I thought it would, it sits perfect!
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

how much ?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:22 AM
Patman
Race Director

I didn't measure it but you can visually see it came down quite a bit, I would say around an inch for sure. I used to be able to fit four fingers into the gap, now it's closer to 2 in the front and I can barely fit 3 in the back, and it'll probably still settle another 1/4" with more mileage.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:15 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Such a nice stance. They do look so much nicer when they're lowered .
Old 01-31-2018, 04:35 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyejack
how much ?
I can do it gratis....

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Lowering Bolts "Looking for feedback"

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Lowering Bolts "Looking for feedback"