Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Critique my collision repair (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Critique my collision repair (pics)

Our 2015 van was rear-ended in a parking lot. Took it to a local body shop recommended by a relative. Picked it up and took these pics. Would you be satisfied?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Yikes! paint shade is just a tad off
Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 PM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

first mistake was picking it up.

I woulda left it there.

it looks kinda off to put it politely.

Last edited by TGstring; 09-17-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Was this a Corvette to begin with?

Probably not the only painter that is colour blind but certainly one of them.

Take it back, no more presents for the relative.
The following users liked this post:
LoganExplosion (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

WOW. that is just too sad. take it back, and be armed and dangerous.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

murray can fix it up with a rattle can for you.
The following users liked this post:
Black 03 Z06 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Done worse.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM
ta66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what they should have done was use do a spray out card and match it with the 1/4 panel
or use a scanner to scan the paint (most larger shops have the scanner ...big $$)

bumpers depending on the color will be slightly off but that's too far off
thats horrible , bring it back.

If its a insurance claim and the shop wont fix their screw up call the adjuster ... see how fast they take it back in to repair.

send me a pm if you have any questions (manage a bodyshop)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 AM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

should have gone to Maaco

Champions is my Maaco. They have perfectly matched 2 bumpers on 2 different cars.

Last edited by 79 Bullet; 09-20-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:59 AM
monstrocity
Pro

Thanks for all the replies guys. I can always count on "Canadian Events" for advice.

I thought the same thing but didn't want to be unreasonable. To top it off... the one taillight they replaced above that area is not working!

Yes it was an insurance claim but I chose my own shop versus going with their preferred list. So insurers are telling me to deal directly with shop for fixes. Personally I think that's rubbish but I will try it their way for now. Sent a note with pics to the shop plus copied the insurers and adjuster.

Like it wasn't a big enough hassle to get hit in a parking lot! I got stuck with the deductible too. Anyway I will post the outcome here.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:23 PM
MRNZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Thanks for all the replies guys. I can always count on "Canadian Events" for advice.

I thought the same thing but didn't want to be unreasonable. To top it off... the one taillight they replaced above that area is not working!

Yes it was an insurance claim but I chose my own shop versus going with their preferred list. So insurers are telling me to deal directly with shop for fixes. Personally I think that's rubbish but I will try it their way for now. Sent a note with pics to the shop plus copied the insurers and adjuster.

Like it wasn't a big enough hassle to get hit in a parking lot! I got stuck with the deductible too. Anyway I will post the outcome here.

Yeah, in the future don't pick up the car if not satisfied. Also, it doesn't matter what shop you chose a claim is a claim. An adjuster has to go to where you take it. That makes no sense. But since they already paid and the repair has been made, ....well, they wiping their hands clean. Maybe time for a new insurance company?? This happened to my dad as well on his Malibu. It was a darker blue then what it should have been, they warned my dad it may not be a perfect match. It was hardly noticeable, but my father decided to live with it.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

cant beleive they could say ''sir, your car is ready'' Stevie Wonder would of notice something is wrong
Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Hi guys here is an update.

The shop owner has agreed to re-do it and provide a rental vehicle while the work is performed. I asked point blank if he looked at the vehicle before I picked it up. He responded that one of his guys backed it towards a hedge and he just assumed it was OK. Also he spent 20 minutes telling me how paint matches are impossible these days etc. and they are restricted by paint suppliers etc. etc.

Sounds like excuses to me but we'll see how it turns out after round 2. Do I request they do anything special to prep the parts again? I'd like to use proper industry terms like you're going to do X Y and Z before you paint again right??
Old 09-26-2017, 09:10 PM
ta66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Hi guys here is an update.

The shop owner has agreed to re-do it and provide a rental vehicle while the work is performed. I asked point blank if he looked at the vehicle before I picked it up. He responded that one of his guys backed it towards a hedge and he just assumed it was OK. Also he spent 20 minutes telling me how paint matches are impossible these days etc. and they are restricted by paint suppliers etc. etc.

Sounds like excuses to me but we'll see how it turns out after round 2. Do I request they do anything special to prep the parts again? I'd like to use proper industry terms like you're going to do X Y and Z before you paint again right??

Thats bullshit how paint matches are impossible and being restricted by suppliers.

heres what you tell him ,
- make sure the painter does a spray out card or several to ensure the proper color
- they cant mix the paint by using the paint code , they have to take in account how old the vehicle is (weather conditions will effect the match)
- make sure they overhaul the bumper (take it off the vehicle , not paint on the van)
- have him take a picture of the bumper completely sanded down to plastic , not just a light scuff

and if hes certain he can't match the paint at least 90% tell him to have his paint company come to the shop and scan the old paint , this will ensure a good match if they are incapable of using spray out cards.

and backing the van into bushes before you came, thats the oldest trick in the book, he knew very well it didn't match and was hoping you wouldn't notice
Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 PM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

This is great news. I send customers cars to a bodyshop on a regular base and they always get back very close, the shine isn't always the same as the rest of the car is older but it doesn't take long it's not noticeable anymore. I often send just a part (IE mirror) and they come back with a great match. Yours should be great to.

Goodluck again

Stephane
Old 10-18-2017, 09:14 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Hey everybody time for an update. There has been a considerable hassle on this. The body shop owner said he called the paint rep to come in and try to match it a couple more times (they still had the old bumper) and apparently no luck. So then asked me to bring the van back at the same time as the paint rep to have a closer look and discussion.

They carried on about how it is difficult to match paint these days and if I look closely even at dealers there are lots of mismatched panels. And that my original bumper wasn't a perfect match either. Nevertheless they will do their best to make me a satisfied customer. I also had to hear about how my insurance company did not budget for them to do blend it with the panels because it was just a bumper.

In the end, body shop has asked me to decide on two options:

1. Have them respray the bumper and other parts, hopefully getting a much better match. But they claim it will not be perfect.

2. Blend the paint with the adjacent panels. This will probably require us demanding more money from the insurance company. I am one who prefers to keep original paint as much as possible.

What do you guys think? They want me to decide. They said if I go option 1 and still not satisfied I can proceed with 2 but that's more time and hassle.

Below are pre-post photos. Can you believe they are telling me the original bumper didn't match?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/noVh4piMnqAtGhzH2
Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

top right looks like a match to me, top left, hard to tell has a dent in it, but looks pretty close.

Get notified of new replies

To Critique my collision repair (pics)

Old 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Probably the only way to get it to match will be to blend down the fenders and hatch.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont let them blend it , you will be very sorry down the road
i had it done on a vw and it looked like crap 2 years later
a good body shop can match it
My ML Benz is pearl, a very had color to match, it was done perfectly by Carlaw Collision in Peterboro
It Can be done
i was a house painter and I have a critical eye for matching paint
Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 AM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yikes!!

Quick Reply: Critique my collision repair (pics)