Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Talk me down, boys!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Talk me down, boys!!

.....to pull the trigger, or NOT pull the trigger??

http://www.platinumcars.ca/certified...f4938f6755.htm

Seems like a good deal on a helluva gorgeous Carbon!

It's been over 5 years since I sold my Z. I've had enough. I plan to buy something in the spring, but saw this, and don't think there are many around quite like it??

It's a Canadian car. Apparently came from BC. Looks very clean, and well taken care of.

I just might take the plunge!?!?!!?!?!

Last edited by Cap'n Pete; 11-22-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Good looking car. I say go and have a real good look.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Of course we're all going to say pull the trigger!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Mickman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks real clean
Old 11-23-2017, 08:06 AM
Efx
Pro

Received 249 Likes on 124 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Old 11-23-2017, 08:37 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

i understood was a Carbon, my bad. no wonder it was a good price for a Carbon.

Last edited by walleyejack; 11-23-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The car is a Z06 with the Z07 package, it's not a Carbon. There's a difference, mostly in the trim level and also in numbers produced. That said, this car is still rare in how it's configured.
The car was traded in on a Porsche, the previous owner lived up North, somewhere around Muskoka, Gravenhurst, something like that. Maybe it originally came from BC, but not the last owner. There was a private Trader ad at $59k last summer and then Platinum took it in on trade and tried to sell it for $65,800.
I believe there may be headers on the car, pretty sure the heads haven't been done. The car has been tracked(I think the original ad said it had been with just a few days...can't recall...but the harness bar is a give away).
Platinum has a habit of saying every Z06 is a 3LZ, when in fact they aren't. This car isn't, you can tell by the door panels and dash...it can be confirmed by looking at the option code sticker in the inside of the glove box. If you haven't seen the car in person, go see it and look over the paint. I haven't seen this car, but I've looked at others that Platinum has had and they needed serious paint correction...just keep that in mind.
My opinion, it's worth somewhere in the $55k-$57,500 range....but remember to add about $3k for head work to your price.
Good luck
Old 11-23-2017, 10:33 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

I went to Platinum Cars when shopping for my 911. I found them to be very difficult to deal with and went elsewhere. Many others on the Porsche Rennlist Forum site similar experiences.

Don't know if you've already been into the store to see the car; your experience may be completely different. Beauty car for sure in how it presents in pictures.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Well if you do, I will have to keep my eyes out for you next summer driving around.
Nice ride.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:27 PM
FivePointFarms
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDRSK
The car is a Z06 with the Z07 package, it's not a Carbon. There's a difference, mostly in the trim level and also in numbers produced. That said, this car is still rare in how it's configured.
The car was traded in on a Porsche, the previous owner lived up North, somewhere around Muskoka, Gravenhurst, something like that. Maybe it originally came from BC, but not the last owner. There was a private Trader ad at $59k last summer and then Platinum took it in on trade and tried to sell it for $65,800.
I believe there may be headers on the car, pretty sure the heads haven't been done. The car has been tracked(I think the original ad said it had been with just a few days...can't recall...but the harness bar is a give away).
Platinum has a habit of saying every Z06 is a 3LZ, when in fact they aren't. This car isn't, you can tell by the door panels and dash...it can be confirmed by looking at the option code sticker in the inside of the glove box. If you haven't seen the car in person, go see it and look over the paint. I haven't seen this car, but I've looked at others that Platinum has had and they needed serious paint correction...just keep that in mind.
My opinion, it's worth somewhere in the $55k-$57,500 range....but remember to add about $3k for head work to your price.
Good luck
be careful.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:23 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not buy a car with harnessess in it, . You dont how hard and how often it has been tracked also that the dealer misrepresnts what it is and
check out the reputation on the web and the forum of the dealer
just my 2 cents
Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice ride. That or you could go C7 ZO6
Old 11-24-2017, 12:49 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I would definitely do some research on the car especially coming from that dealer. I went to buy a C7 Z51 from them this time last year and there add said it had magnetic ride control and no paint issues, drove all the way out there to find out they lied or really know nothing about cars!

As far as the Carbon, because it’s been tracked I would bring the car to reputable mechanic that knows there stuff on Ceramic brakes like Champion Motors or Autowerks in Woodbridge and have them weigh the ceramic rotors. If they need replacing your talking big $$$$. $2500-3000 per rotor not including the pads.

Car is a beast! Hope it works out for you

Last edited by SpartaGus; 11-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well if the glaring warning of the harness isn't enough...
From my experience with them - I'd just make sure to check the VIN with a local dealer to see all repair work orders during the warranty period.
I turned my back on a car with 5,000 km - after seeing the trouble original owner had...
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't checked back in sooner.

I appreciate all of your comments and feedback.

BDRSK, sounds like you knew (or knew "of"?) the previous owner? I kind of wondered if someone out there would recognize this car. It was originally from BC, but came to Ontario sometime a couple years ago.

So I did go into Platinum and look at the car the other day. I probably don't have as keen or critical an eye as many guys do, BUT, IMO this car is in fantastic condition. As was mentioned about "watch for paint issues", the yellow '06 they have (for $37k) shows some very obvious signs of age / less-than-perfect condition. This car, on the other hand, looks virtually flawless. Even the carbon fiber splitter and side skirts don't appear to have any noticeable dings/scuffs/flaws ... at least, not that I could see. The salesman showed me the Carfax report they have. There were only 2 service visits listed. One earlier on, and the last one around ~40k? (...so ~20k since?). Nothing else bad (accidents, etc.).

The car, to me, looks like it was tastefully put together, and well cared for. It does have headers. Other than that, hard to "see" anything else that isn't "stock" (except the Kenwood stereo).

Yes, it's clear by the harness bar (and testimony) that it's been tracked. But who am I to judge?! I'll be taking it to the track as well!! lol

I was already down the worn-guide LS7 road with my last Z. At least I have the heads-up on the issue, and can monitor for trouble and/or get the heads done if needs be.

Also, I guess I erred in assuming it was a "Carbon". I thought they came in either the blue or orange, with the Z07 pkg, carbon ground effects, etc., and didn't really put much further thought to realize that this is simply the "Z07" pkg.

At the end of the day, the car is gorgeous, and has kind of sparked a happy nerve inside me ..... there are lots of gorgeous 'Vettes out there, but this one seems a little more rare/unique, and is really calling my name ....... I may just take the plunge (and take my chances! lol ) .....
Old 11-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

......and yeah, a C7Z (or even C7 GS) would be great, but both are just way out of the budget.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:47 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

As others have warned be careful. My experience of carfax vs a carproof report...

At the time (2000 timeframe), carfax was accurate for US cars with limited history on Canadian cars. Carproof was more accurate for Canadian vehicle history. I came to know this after purchase and wouldn't you know the carproof report I ran post-purchase showed a significant claim not reported on carfax. I realized too late why I was shown a carfax vs a carproof. Live and learn - the dealer got me - part of the game.

Not sure if carfax is now equal or better than carproof but worth asking the dealer to provide a carproof just to see their response - or run one yourself.

Either way, the car looks great in the pics. Enjoy whatever you end up getting! Some great advice in this thread. Cheers!

Last edited by raztek; 11-24-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me down, boys!!

Old 11-25-2017, 11:09 AM
luvchevs
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice looking car for sure.
Interior looks like the work of Caravaggio Corvettes.
Might be worth contacting them and see if they can help with history of the car?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luvchevs
Very nice looking car for sure.
Interior looks like the work of Caravaggio Corvettes.
Might be worth contacting them and see if they can help with history of the car?
The seats are the only thing that stand out to me ..... are they not the factory "competition" seats?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raztek
As others have warned be careful. My experience of carfax vs a carproof report...
Thanks, I didn't realize there was a difference. I'll try to confirm which report it is that they have.

Quick Reply: Talk me down, boys!!