Canadian Events Canada, eh?

C7 Power Blip Problem Since Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:14 PM
got2jet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 Power Blip Problem Since Day 1

So, I have this odd issue with my 2016 Z51 since the beginning. I didn't notice it right away but it's been pretty much since the start best I can tell. I have a little blip or lag in power on the way up....typically in 3rd (paddle shifting the Auto M8), or in 2nd if you get into higher rpm in 2nd. I've had her into the dealership at least 6 times and they've tried different things that have been suggested by GM Maintenance gurus somewhere. The latest attempt left me without the car for a good stretch as they replaced the torque converter. They were quite sure they got it this time. Nope. Same issue. We don't really have a lemon law in Ontario, so I suppose the only options available to me now short of continuing to bring the car in to the dealer and be without it over and over, are to go through the Canadian Vehicle Arbitration process which I understand isn't really easily enforced after a win...or to sue Chevrolet if they don't plan to provide me a new C7. I'm guessing they will refuse to replace the car but I am ready to sue in that event. The history of this issue destroys it's value on resale and I shouldn't have to suffer that. Anyone have any experience with either this mechanical issue or getting a lemon replaced in Canada?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 PM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Does this only happen when using paddle shifting?

The paddle shifting on the C7 is known to lag and is not to be as quick and smooth as say Porsche's PDK.
The following users liked this post:
got2jet (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:10 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

You are correct - no lemon laws in Canada.

This goes back about 20 years, but I bought a used 97 C5 from Wilson Niblett which had a lot of problems that resulted in a 1.5 inch binder of service records in less than a year.

WN was not helpful stating that they could only repair what broke. I ended up talking to a service advisor at Applewood in Mississauga (the unsung hero of my story) who suggested I contact GM directly and ask for the Regional Service Manager. I called GM to find out his name and was able to get a meeting with him.

At the meeting, I showed him the records and asked if this was normal. I then stated that I felt there were three options I needed to evaluate:
  1. I sell the car and never get another GM product - lose-lose
  2. I take them to court and sue them for my losses on whatever I could get for it given its repair history - likely lose-lose
  3. GM could correct the situation and leave a very satisfied customer - win-win

When asked what option 3 looked like, I stated that I felt my car was an anomaly as surely GM did not intend to build a car with such poor quality. I then suggested that they buy back my car at fair market value or pay me for being a satellite research facility as I assumed all my repairs were getting logged with them to be addressed for future model years. I would buy a new car from them (a 2000 at the time) which would have been the third model year as I was certain that by now all kinks had been ironed out.

I also suggested that the purchase price be GM cost (not MSRP or dealer invoice, rather GM factory cost). My argument was that GM and the dealer made margin on the initial sale of what was essentially a lemon; and the dealer again as I bought my 97 used from them. I argued that neither GM nor a dealer should make margin again to correct the situation. To my good fortune he agreed and I ended up in my 2000 for a nominal price difference. And I was right, my 2000 has been bulletproof and I still have it.

Clear win for me and GM has a customer for life who is sharing his good story with others some 20 years later (I assume a win for them too as a result). When it came time for an SUV, I ended up in another GM product. Have no qualms whatsoever buying from them in the future either as a result of my experience.

On a side note, the non-transferrable extended warranty I bought from Wilson Niblett (that had not yet gone in force as i was still under factory warranty) was only partially refunded and only after I talked to the Regional Service Manager as WN stated that it could do nothing for me.

Take from my story whatever you like. But I suggest you find out who the Regional Service manager is, give him/her a call and hopefully they are willing to work with you.

Good luck!

Last edited by raztek; 05-09-2018 at 12:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
got2jet (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:38 AM
got2jet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by i3kc
Does this only happen when using paddle shifting?

The paddle shifting on the C7 is known to lag and is not to be as quick and smooth as say Porsche's PDK.
Yes, it only occurs during paddle shifting but it is certainly not a lag....I say this because 1) it doesn't occur during a shift.....it occurs at a particular place in the power band on the way up and 2) I've driven numerous other C7s that do not have this issue whatsoever.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:41 AM
got2jet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raztek
You are correct - no lemon laws in Canada.

This goes back about 20 years, but I bought a used 97 C5 from Wilson Niblett which had a lot of problems that resulted in a 1.5 inch binder of service records in less than a year.

WN was not helpful stating that they could only repair what broke. I ended up talking to a service advisor at Applewood in Mississauga (the unsung hero of my story) who suggested I contact GM directly and ask for the Regional Service Manager. I called GM to find out his name and was able to get a meeting with him.

At the meeting, I showed him the records and asked if this was normal. I then stated that I felt there were three options I needed to evaluate:
  1. I sell the car and never get another GM product - lose-lose
  2. I take them to court and sue them for my losses on whatever I could get for it given its repair history - likely lose-lose
  3. GM could correct the situation and leave a very satisfied customer - win-win

When asked what option 3 looked like, I stated that I felt my car was an anomaly as surely GM did not intend to build a car with such poor quality. I then suggested that they buy back my car at fair market value or pay me for being a satellite research facility as I assumed all my repairs were getting logged with them to be addressed for future model years. I would buy a new car from them (a 2000 at the time) which would have been the third model year as I was certain that by now all kinks had been ironed out.

I also suggested that the purchase price be GM cost (not MSRP or dealer invoice, rather GM factory cost). My argument was that GM and the dealer made margin on the initial sale of what was essentially a lemon; and the dealer again as I bought my 97 used from them. I argued that neither GM nor a dealer should make margin again to correct the situation. To my good fortune he agreed and I ended up in my 2000 for a nominal price difference. And I was right, my 2000 has been bulletproof and I still have it.

Clear win for me and GM has a customer for life who is sharing his good story with others some 20 years later (I assume a win for them too as a result). When it came time for an SUV, I ended up in another GM product. Have no qualms whatsoever buying from them in the future either as a result of my experience.

On a side note, the non-transferrable extended warranty I bought from Wilson Niblett (that had not yet gone in force as i was still under factory warranty) was only partially refunded and only after I talked to the Regional Service Manager as WN stated that it could do nothing for me.

Take from my story whatever you like. But I suggest you find out who the Regional Service manager is, give him/her a call and hopefully they are willing to work with you.

Good luck!
Thank you for your detailed account. I suppose I will have to try to track down the Regional Service Manager and give it a try. The dealer is caught in their loop of trying whatever next thing the GM maintenance gurus somewhere tell them to try....but as owner of the car.....how much should someone have to endure? How much should I be without my somewhat expensive car while they tinker and replace? It isn't a very palatable option to just continue down this road indefinitely.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 AM
i3kc
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't believe that vehicle maintenance and warantee repairs show up on Carfax reporting so there should be no affect on resale value. However, I'm sure the intention is to keep the car so it is most important to have a car without issues. I can surely relate to your frustrations. It took me many trips to the dealership (s) to get my "Warble" issue corrected. I noticed it from day one and it took almost 10 months for me to get the issue resolved. The hard part was getting the dealership to acknowledge that there was an issue. At least in your case, the issue at hand has been acknowledged upfront by GM and they are trying to resolve it. Try calling GM Canada customer service to open a case. They can send out a GM head tech to inspect the vehicle if the dealership cannot resolve the issue.

Good luck with this and I hope you get this resolved one way or another so you can enjoy your Vette the way you should (issue free).

Last edited by i3kc; 05-09-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I can't really help, but I've never seen this issue posted in the C7 section before and I try to keep up with all the threads there.

I hope you get it figured out.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:34 PM
raztek
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by got2jet
Thank you for your detailed account. I suppose I will have to try to track down the Regional Service Manager and give it a try. The dealer is caught in their loop of trying whatever next thing the GM maintenance gurus somewhere tell them to try....but as owner of the car.....how much should someone have to endure? How much should I be without my somewhat expensive car while they tinker and replace? It isn't a very palatable option to just continue down this road indefinitely.
I hear you. In my case, at times it was literally fly home Thu (was travelling for work at the time), pick up the car from its latest repair, drive it for a couple days and drop it off again on Monday on route to the airport. After several months, I had enough. My case was extreme, but I would definitely suggest the Regional Service Manager route. The dealership has no say and is a barrier to a heart to heart with the person that can make a decision for you. Perhaps ask the RSM to hold on to the car until he/she was satisfied the issue was 100% resolved while putting you in a loaner vette. Sounds like 1 gremlin that won't go away in your case...mine had multiple and different issues.

Wish you the best and hopefully they nail it down if it comes up again. In the mean time enjoy your ride!
Old 05-09-2018, 03:10 PM
JB08
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. Wild stab in the dark, but have you tried accelerating without the traction control on? I assume that the issue occurs irrespective of driving mode? I don’t have this issue, but I know the throttle is not as responsive depending what mode I’m in and the tire temperature. The issue could be electronic rather than mechanical.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:17 AM
raztek
Burning Brakes

I keep coming back here lol...

Sounds like you get a surge or power drop. Had that happen to me on another car. Would just surge on me when parking or felt a hesitation while in mid acceleration. Turned out to be small tear in a vacuum hose.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to knock technicians that work for dealerships but sometimes they relie on T.S.B’s or recurring problems and have a harder time diagnosting problems they haven’t seen before. As a licensed tech myself and a instructor of automotive technology I have seen this many times in lab classes, the students that work for independent shops seem to be a little sharper when it comes to diagnosting uncommon problems. Maybe ask a reputable independent shop for a favour and take it for a ride?
Just my two sence.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Power Blip Problem Since Day 1

Quick Reply: C7 Power Blip Problem Since Day 1