Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Gas ? Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM
dkw
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Gas ? Winter Storage

So, just wondering what others use - do you fill up with gas with or without Ethanol when storing car for the winter??
Usually, I fill up with Petro Canada 94 with a dose of Sta-Bil.
But, what about Shell 91 without Ethanol?? Better or worse??
Any thoughts - recommendations?
TIA
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I fill up with Sunoco/Petro Can 94 the last several years with no problems come spring.

Last edited by SpartaGus; 10-11-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Also with the ethanol in the gas you don’t need stabil.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:48 PM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Due to a series of circumstances I didn't attempt to start a car that I store (indoors) for over 5 years. When I finally went to start it the old gas was perfect. So I think wintering for a few months is no issue at all regardless of fuel.

Last edited by formula1nut; 10-11-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Grammar error
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I have always heard that it's best to store the car with ethanol free gas, so that's what I always do. I already run mostly Shell or Costco anyhow (both of which have no ethanol)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 PM
JB08
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Ethanol is hygroscopic, so it attracts water to a greater degree than gasoline, which over time is bad news for your fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump and engine. Now, in a closed tank for a few months its very unlikely to develop into a serious issue, but my philosophy is that a little insurance goes a long way. So, a few more cents for Shell 91 and about $10 for a bottle of Stabil is a small price to pay for piece of mind and proper care of the equipment.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Brian71
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Just make sure you store the car with a full tank. I throw in Sta-bil as well. For 4-6 months of storage the gas will be fine.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:58 AM
Patman
Race Director

Actually they now recommend storing the newer Corvettes with under a 1/4 of a tank, so that the fuel level sensors don't get gummed up. This recommendation comes from one of the top Corvette mechanics in the US, the idea is that when the car is just sitting for a long time, if the sensor is submersed in fuel the sulfur can gum it up. But if stored with under a 1/4 tank this won't happen (or if you do what I do and drive it every couple of weeks whenever the roads are dry and free of excess salt)
Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 PM
IowaClass65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non-ethanol fuel, Marine (green-blue) Sta-bil and a completely topped off tank (to avoid condensation) every winter. That, and a Battery Tender charger has worked for me in 35+ years of winter storage of motorcycles and ATVs Well, I used to use Marvel Mystery Oil in ancient times before I found out about Marine Sta-bil from my boating friends.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Patman
Race Director

FWIW, I recently found out that all of the major gas station's 91 octane contains no ethanol. So not only Shell and Costco, but Canadian Tire, Esso, Petro Canada and even Ultramar all have no ethanol if you choose 91 octane.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Patman
FWIW, I recently found out that all of the major gas station's 91 octane contains no ethanol. So not only Shell and Costco, but Canadian Tire, Esso, Petro Canada and even Ultramar all have no ethanol if you choose 91 octane.
I haven't checked recently except for Canadian Tire all of the pumps said that it contains up to 10%, I wonder if the labelling has changed at the pumps now?
Old 10-19-2018, 03:38 PM
BlueFinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually they now recommend storing the newer Corvettes with under a 1/4 of a tank, so that the fuel level sensors don't get gummed up. This recommendation comes from one of the top Corvette mechanics in the US, the idea is that when the car is just sitting for a long time, if the sensor is submersed in fuel the sulfur can gum it up. But if stored with under a 1/4 tank this won't happen (or if you do what I do and drive it every couple of weeks whenever the roads are dry and free of excess salt)
In Sudbury the roads are never free of salt in the winter. So, no winter driving here.

Yes, I have read the recommendation of 1/4 tank of gas. Unfortunately that means planning my driving and fill-ups to get to the 1/4 point. I like to get in as much driving as I can right to the end (Dec. 1) if the weather permits. So the gas ends up at whatever it's at. Anyway, I store the corvette in a heated garage so I really don't worry about the level of gas for the 4-month period.
john
Old 10-19-2018, 03:47 PM
IowaClass65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm, sounds like an imperfect choice. Fill the tank, avoid condensation (unheated garage) and risk the sensor, or protect the sensor and get condensation in the tank. Add ethanol to the equation, and the condensation is a problem. At least there are no carbs to deal with these days.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Patman
Race Director

I don't think condensation in the tanks are as big of an issue as they used to be in the old days. When was the last time you heard of a modern Corvette having problems due to condensation in the tank? Probably never. But there are a ton of people on the C5 and C6 forums who have posted problems with the fuel level sensors getting gummed up, and the procedure to replace them is very labor intensive. I choose the option of protecting them.

Last edited by Patman; 10-19-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:50 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've just parked my cars when winter arrived and have never had an issue. Been doing it that way for many years now. A while back Dad decided to try a fuel stabilizer type product in his stuff and everything he put it in had issues in the spring. So, I'm not convinced it matter either way for a single year of winter storage.

All newer cars have sealed fuel systems so there is no reason to think that a bunch of moisture will get into the fuel system of a newer vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas ? Winter Storage

Quick Reply: Gas ? Winter Storage