Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Do you even lift bro?

Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Do you even lift bro?

First and foremost thanks to Vetfever for the referral to Paul (MTO Garage Doors - 416.818.4277) who did the high-lift garage door modifications and installed the new side-mount garage door opener. I could not be more pleased with the service.

My family and I were looking for a new home and I had always really wanted a 3 car garage, the reality was these homes were about $100k more than a home with a 2 car garage in the same development. I was prepared to settle on a 2 car garage provided the garage could accommodate a lift. After some measurements, conversations with the Lift Superstore and the referral to Paul for the garage door modifications, I'm happy to finally have one installed this past week. Bring on a new C7 GS (oh wait that extra space was supposed to be for my winter car...ah well).

Last edited by Highway Dancer; 10-21-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Thanks for sharing - can I ask what the height of the ceiling is in your garage (if I ever want to go this route)?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice addition! Ceiling height appears to be 10' 5"?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:21 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 657 Likes on 441 Posts

Lifts are great - glad it worked out
Old 10-21-2018, 04:53 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the purchase & the lift. I just moved into a new house also & the garage is 10 feet + in height. Because my new garage is a few feet shorter that my previous one which was a custom unit, I had my central vac put in the basement to free up space. The new vacs are very quiet & I have in in my temporary "den" until I get the basement drywalled. Heater going in this Thursday !

Last edited by Airwilf; 10-21-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Thanks for sharing - can I ask what the height of the ceiling is in your garage (if I ever want to go this route)?
10'5" at the front and an even 10' at the back (due to slope of garage floor).

A C6 Coupe is 49" in height + deck of lift is 5", I don't lift right to the ceiling and there's also the door which is about 5" from the ceiling. I have about 5" under it which is enough for a sedan (or another Corvette).

Last edited by Highway Dancer; 10-25-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Originally Posted by 95vettski
Nice addition! Ceiling height appears to be 10' 5"?
Yessir! Many thanks to the Corvette Forum for helping me determine what sort of height I needed to get a lift in with enough space under it to park another car. A lot of lay people were telling me 11' or 12', Corvette Forum posts seemed to indicate 10" would be just enough and it was right!.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Originally Posted by Airwilf
Congrats on the purchase & the lift. I just moved into a new house also & the garage is 10 feet + in height. Because my new garage is a few feet shorter that my previous one which was a custom unit, I had my central vac put in the basement to free up space. The new vacs are very quiet & I have in in my temporary "den" until I get the basement drywalled. Heater going in this Thursday !
I'm planning on a couple more things including painting the drywall, heater and some nice flooring. All in good time (next spring). I'll probably be relocating the vacuum after I grab some more tubing.

Last edited by Highway Dancer; 10-21-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Track Monster
10'5" at the front and an even 10' at the back (due to slope of garage floor.

A C6 Coupe is 49" in height + deck of lift is 5", I don't lift right to the ceiling and there's also the door which is about 5" from the ceiling. I have about 5" under it which is enough for a sedan (or another Corvette).
Thanks, I was asking because I have 11 feet and change and wasn't sure if it would be sufficient
Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Airwilf
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm planning on a couple more things including painting the drywall, heater and some nice flooring. All in good time (next spring). I'll probably be relocating the vacuum after I grab some more tubing.
My Modine Hot Dawg 45000 BTU heater is going in on Thursday . I found a used one in Mississauga & hope it won't give me any grief. Was looking for a 30000 unit but couldn't find one. I had a 45000 in my previous 22 X 20 garage & I was in a T shirt within 4 minutes or less. They are pricey, but Home Depot in the US carries them/orders them for you. I calculated the cost, exchange , picking it up in Niagara Falls NY & paying taxes at the border it was still cheaper than buying here-if you can find one.The other thing is , it won't even put a dent in your gas bill, they are very efficient especially in a small area like a garage.Princess auto has one under another name & I swear it's the same unit with different decals & better price. If I had known this before i bought this used one , I would have checked them out.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM
79 Bullet
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I see that you bolted it in. Did the installer recommend that or was it your request? Most people that I have spoken to including Direct lift where I bought mine say it is preferred to have it free.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Paul is my good friend and coworker - does good work and neat. Known him for 25 plus years

Last edited by RedZ4me; 10-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

by the way, lift superstore has all the details on how to measure for ceiling height requirements on their website based on the lift chosen and vehicles you own
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Thanks, I was asking because I have 11 feet and change and wasn't sure if it would be sufficient
Loads of room at 11 feet. One thing you might find is that the framing is much lower than the floor of the above bedroom (assuming you live in a 2 storey home). I actually found when doing the wiring for the garage door opener that 2/3 of my garage could be 13', as the insulation was another 3' above the framing, the issue was that there was a major I beam that occupied the front 1/3 and therefore the ceiling of the garage was done at the lowest point. So watch out for that, because if that's the case with some extra time and expense you could probably raise your garage ceiling and put in a mezzanine/attic for additional storage above the lift.
The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet
I see that you bolted it in. Did the installer recommend that or was it your request? Most people that I have spoken to including Direct lift where I bought mine say it is preferred to have it free.
Yes, I bolted it in because (1) I'm not moving; (2) there's a slope to the floor and I felt that if I put it on casters and moved it, there would be a potential for disaster.

I would like to hear the reasons as to why having it free is preferred.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:57 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Yup all depends on how much slope you have. Didn’t anchor mine. I have about a 4”1/2 inch slope from front to back and I believe your allowed up to a foot. Unless you use the lift daily to work on cars and your slope doesn’t exceed the limit there’s no need to anchor. Also if your planning on doing the floor in the near future you shouldn’t Anchor. Pain in the butt after.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:39 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Make sure when you anchor (recommended) that you have plenty of concrete..........the anchors needed are large (long). Most typical homes are lucky to get 1- 1.5 inches of concrete floor. At my last house, had 1.5 inches so anchored all 16 points. Now at my new home, I did re-bar, and anchored to the side walls PLUS 6" of concrete........ready for any lift !!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:15 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Make sure when you anchor (recommended) that you have plenty of concrete..........the anchors needed are large (long). Most typical homes are lucky to get 1- 1.5 inches of concrete floor. At my last house, had 1.5 inches so anchored all 16 points. Now at my new home, I did re-bar, and anchored to the side walls PLUS 6" of concrete........ready for any lift !!

1-1.5” now that’s scary!!!! I would of been crapping myself every time I would lift. I got about 4.5. I think recommended is 4”
Old 10-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

First and foremost thanks to Vetfever for the referral to Paul (MTO Garage Doors - 416.818.4277) who did the high-lift garage door modifications and installed the new side-mount garage door opener. I could not be more pleased with the service.

My family and I were looking for a new home and I had always really wanted a 3 car garage, the reality was these homes were about $100k more than a home with a 2 car garage in the same development. I was prepared to settle on a 2 car garage provided the garage could accommodate a lift. After some measurements, conversations with the Lift Superstore and the referral to Paul for the garage door modifications, I'm happy to finally have one installed this past week. Bring on a new C7 GS (oh wait that extra space was supposed to be for my winter car...ah well).

I'm in guelph and have been planning on doing this but was actually.looking for someone to lift my door. Can I ask how much it cost? Did they have to replace the spring? Would you use them again? Thanks. Jack

Get notified of new replies

To Do you even lift bro?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you even lift bro?