Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Bad Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:51 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Same experience

Wow, I thought I was the only one. This summer while looking for a DD my wife and looked at a very nice Audi A5 convertible. Beautiful car and I think I could have lived with the price, but their expectations were the same....but since I had an insurance claim I told the guy I might just pay the whole thing in cash right now just let me test it. Nope he wanted us to buy the car, get the $ in place, then we could test drive. Needless to say I went elsewhere. Can't remember the name of the company it was in Concorde.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:44 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rpanesar
I was at a MB dealership in Brampton over the summer and decided to check out what the AMG C63s had to offer and I was driving the car within minutes with the sales guy begging me to push the car despite my apprehension of not wanting to abuse the car.

Any how, the hunt continues and the dealership that treats me with the respect a customer should deserve will get my $$
I bought a Porsche 911 from Car Lounge in Oakville. Not only did they allow me to test drive the car - by myself - no less, they also let me take the car for a full morning to have a pre-purchase inspection done.

I highly recommend them. Google Car Lounge Oakville....
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Rodmo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Chevy/GM dealer let me test drive a new C7 off the showroom floor, it was end of November 2014 and cold....not a problem. I did buy a C7, but hadn't taken a decision at that point. I would never buy a car without a test drive......
Old 11-13-2018, 12:16 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
I bought a Porsche 911 from Car Lounge in Oakville. Not only did they allow me to test drive the car - by myself - no less, they also let me take the car for a full morning to have a pre-purchase inspection done.

I highly recommend them. Google Car Lounge Oakville....
That's what I'm talking about...service like that only serves to affirm that you want your hard earned money to go to a business that respects you as a customer.

I'll check them out...thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had both good and bad experiences with dealers over the years and I have bought a number of cars without test driving them. This has included a Porsche 944, Mazda RX7 GSL SE, Camaro Z28 (1978), Eagle Talon AWD Turbo, Subaru BRZ, Subaru WRX STi and my current C7 3LT Z51.

A couple of dealer experiences come to mind. One good one bad.

The good was a Porsche salesman gave me the keys to a 944 Turbo and said he don't want to see me back before an hour. Nice car, but the turbo lag was bad.

The bad was a Saturn dealer in Ottawa. This was in the 2008 - 2009 time frame at the new car show. I was in the Pontiac section seeing if I could arrange a test drive of a Sky. He said I was in the wrong area (I knew that!!) and he took me over to the Saturn area, and told a floor representative that I was interested in a test drive of a Sky. The salesman (who worked for a local dealer) turned to me and said that would require a signed sales agreement and a $1,000 deposit. This was before he even said hello. That conversation ended right there.

When I got home, I sent an email to a highly regarded GM employee that I knew and outlined the whole bad experience to him..... and I named the dealer. He sent me an email back saying that he had forwarded my email to the Director of Marketing for the US and the President/General Manger for GM Canada. Apparently, this approach by GM dealers drives GM nuts...they hate it. That dealer was Turpin...who did survive the dealership closures in the GM reorganization. Hhhhhmmmmm....
Old 11-20-2018, 10:20 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MVL is a quality dealership that deals primarily in high end exotics. They attract all sorts of wannabes and test pilots. Hence the policy. You don’t say if you visited their store or contacted by phone or email. In latter two cases the response you got is to be expected and reasonable imho. If you visited the store I think maybe they might have been more accommodating, depending on how you come across.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you. I had quite the opposite experience there after with multiple dealerships. One dealer has an online booking system and I booked on a Friday to test drive my other contender (an Audi R8) and on Saturday I was in the car with my wife in about 5 minutes of arriving at the dealership. No questions asked about how serious I was about buying or having to haggle on a price before getting keys to drive a car that was at a much higher price point than the Z06 at MVL. Then there was the PFAFF Audi and Reserve experience and both times I arranged for test drives of another R8 and a AMG GTs via texts with the sales guys. No bull **** requirements before being handed keys.....let's just say now that thankfully I am a proud owner of a pristine 2015 V10 R8.

MVL can go suck it!
The following users liked this post:
walleyejack (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

congrats man
enjoy the car
Old 12-18-2018, 06:34 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by rpanesar
...let's just say now that thankfully I am a proud owner of a pristine 2015 V10 R8.
Congratulations! Those are amazing cars! Basically a Lamborghini in Audi clothes!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Thanks gentlemen!

Looking forward to Summer 2019

Last edited by rpanesar; 12-18-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad Dealer Experience