Booster seat question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Booster seat question

Old 11-07-2018, 06:26 PM
ATOMIC_Z06
CF Member

Default Booster seat question

Anyone have experience installing a booster seat in a 2008 Z06? Owners manual is confusing. Any suggestions will help.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Norm07
CF Senior Member

I used a booster equipped with arms and a full back with lateral head supports. I make sure the belt is under the arms of the booster and in the keeper on the side of the booster so the belt crosses the little ones chest. The little one has to be under 8 years old, between 40 and 80lbs and no taller than 4 ft 9 inches. There are different opinions in regards to having the airbag on or off. I turn mine off when I have a child in the passenger seat. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:07 AM
raztek
CF Senior Member

My strong suggestion is for you look up a local police/fire station that has officers trained to provide suggestions and examine the installation and advise you properly based on the size of your child, the booster and how the seatbelt goes over their shoulder and lap.

The above suggestion is what I do as well. You want the lap portion of the belt to go over the lap and the chest part to go over the shoulder and not across the neck (when the belt is locked and going across the neck it would effectively be a knife against the neck in a sudden forward motion). General question I ask is if there is an accident and the retracting mechanism is locked is the child also locked into the seat (in effect being one with the seat) or is there any potential for movement? The airbag can injure the child due to his/her size should it go off. Again, take the time to seek out trained advice. Well worth the few minutes to do so

Not sure where you live but the OPP station at Hurontario and QEW is where I went several years back. The officer spent a good 20 mins with me to explain and verify my installation for my baby seat. Not all stations offer the service, but should know one that does. Hope that helps.

Last edited by raztek; 11-08-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM
ATOMIC_Z06
CF Member

Originally Posted by ATOMIC_Z06 View Post
Anyone have experience installing a booster seat in a 2008 Z06? Owners manual is confusing. Any suggestions will help.
I should of mentioned my son is almost 5 and close to 40 lbs
Old 11-08-2018, 05:57 PM
raztek
CF Senior Member

I should of mentioned my son is almost 5 and close to 40 lbs
Maybe you can post up a pic of the seat. Are you talking about a booster seat with a 5 point harness built in (see pic below)? If so the above comments would not apply. In this case you would have to use the factory belt to hold down the seat and ensure the belt is locked so that the seat does not slide/tip forward under deceleration. I assume the C6 does not have anchors built into the factory seat which is why you are unsure what to do.

if you are talking about a seat that uses the factory seatbelt over the child's chest (see pic below) then the first two responses to your post are related to this seat type.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but frankly we are talking about the safety of your son - trust no one . I strongly suggest you have a trained person help you. Your local dealership may be able to help or a police station.

Last edited by raztek; 11-08-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:04 PM
ATOMIC_Z06
CF Member

Originally Posted by raztek View Post
Maybe you can post up a pic of the seat. Are you talking about a booster seat with a 5 point harness built in (see pic below)? If so the above comments would not apply. In this case you would have to use the factory belt to hold down the seat and ensure the belt is locked so that the seat does not slide/tip forward under deceleration. I assume the C6 does not have anchors built into the factory seat which is why you are unsure what to do.

if you are talking about a seat that uses the factory seatbelt over the child's chest (see pic below) then the first two responses to your post are related to this seat type.

Sounds like you are unsure. I dont want this to come across the wrong way, but frankly dont trust what we say here re: safety of your son. I suggest you have a trained person help you. Your local dealership may be able to help you or a police station.
Unsure yes, that’s why I am asking if any had experience with it. Yes you do come across the wrong way as saying “I do not trust what “we” say” as I have not responded to any comments other than to state my child’s age and weight. But that’s ok. I get it, it’s the internet and everyone’s got something to say.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM
raztek
CF Senior Member

You took it the wrong way. What I was trying to say is I am sharing my experience from a few years ago. Things and seats may have changed so what I would suggest may be the wrong advice. It was confusing to me as well and I ended up having a cop help me out and educated a few of my friends with kids based on what I had learned along the way cause they installed their seats incorrectly. I dont want that to happen to you which is why I said trust no one (including me!). Hope that clears things up. There was no intention to offend at all.

Last edited by raztek; 11-08-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:14 PM
raztek
CF Senior Member

Unsure yes, that’s why I am asking if any had experience with it. Yes you do come across the wrong way as saying “I do not trust what “we” say” as I have not responded to any comments other than to state my child’s age and weight. But that’s ok. I get it, it’s the internet and everyone’s got something to say.
Please reread my post I did not say what you think I did - was actually bashing myself and never said that you dont trust what was suggested.

Last edited by raztek; 11-08-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 PM
ATOMIC_Z06
CF Member

Originally Posted by raztek View Post
Please reread my post I did not say what you think I did - was actually bashing myself and never said that you dont trust what was suggested.
My bad now that I re read it now I must apologize lol
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM
raztek
CF Senior Member

My bad now that I re read it now I must apologize lol
No worries man - this is your kid's safety we are talking about so I get it .

The thing I learned is that with any seat you install, it should move as one unit with the factory seat in the event of a collision. Any additional movement of the booster or forward facing seat would increase the chance of injury to your son.

Hope this helps and if there is any doubt on how you installed, the police can help you as they have staff trained specifically for this stuff.

Last edited by raztek; 11-08-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 AM
martinf55
CF Senior Member

Can you install a booster seat in the front? Since there are no back seats I don't think you can. Plus you need a tether point to fasten the seat which the vettes don't have I believe.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: