Canadian Events Canada, eh?

LS7 Valve Guide Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 11:17 PM
ramaccc
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS7 Valve Guide Issue

Looking for some feedback....My question is, I have a 2012 Z06 (25k's) that has full extended factory warranty until 2021 or 60K. I'm not having any valve issues as of now however wanted to know if this issue is something that is covered under warranty. If so has anyone had the dealer replace / repair under warranty?

Look forward to hearing from anyone's experience.

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike
Old 03-11-2019, 11:31 PM
SpartaGus
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have the Powertrain warranty, dropping a valve is definitely covered. When I had my 2011 Z06 I extended my warranty because of the valve issue. Before your warranty runs out I would get the valves replaced. Add a mild cam upgrade your looking at $4k.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm sure if you do some digging in the Z06 forum, you'll find guys that have had heads replaced under warranty, BUT, I'm assuming those are the squeaky wheels who have a good rapport (or stir up a lot of bs) with the service dept. Chances of getting heads replaced "proactively" (worn, but not "failed") are probably slim.

If the engine fails while you're under warranty - 100% - should be covered. I had an engine replaced under extended warranty - no hassles.

Once your warranty runs out? Just get the heads done. Depending which route you go, you'll be ~$3k +/-.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Your extended warranty isn't going to cover the work for a dealer to "check" your guides/valves for out of spec tolerances. Granted if you insist on a dealer to pull the heads to check them and they are out of spec then it is possible for the extended warranty to cover the fix but if they are in spec (even on the wide tolerance scale) you will be forking out the cost for the dealer to do the work to check your heads.

So basically if you still have extended warranty that covers a major engine failure don't worry about it. Yes I know it sucks thinking that you could have a blow up and even worse if it happens after your warranty is done but odds are you should be good.

My heads were done 3 years ago by AHP and so far so good on my LS7.

Tony
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
Your extended warranty isn't going to cover the work for a dealer to "check" your guides/valves for out of spec tolerances. Granted if you insist on a dealer to pull the heads to check them and they are out of spec then it is possible for the extended warranty to cover the fix but if they are in spec (even on the wide tolerance scale) you will be forking out the cost for the dealer to do the work to check your heads.

So basically if you still have extended warranty that covers a major engine failure don't worry about it. Yes I know it sucks thinking that you could have a blow up and even worse if it happens after your warranty is done but odds are you should be good.

My heads were done 3 years ago by AHP and so far so good on my LS7.

Tony
Hi Tony. I remember back when you decided to do your heads and was wondering if you found anything out of wack when you removed the stock setup? I have owned my 07 since new, still have it and have never had a problem. I checked it every which way from Sunday back when everything started or was reported. I basically stopped going on the C6 Z06 forum because everything turned into a valve train problem. You could literally run out of gas and it would be blamed on engine failure due to bad guides. We did the witness test, the wiggle test and finally took everything apart to check the angles, measurements, clearances and setup of the guides and valves and posted it all with pics all the way through. GM even took an interest and had somebody over for a look. It all came out just as it was designed then I later found GM decided the problem didn't start till part way through the 08 year.
Anyway, just wondering if you found anything really out on yours?

Grant

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 03-20-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Hi Grant, I didn't get any info from AHP when I pulled my heads and shipped it to them. I wasn't that concerned about it since I had decided at that time to do HCI and was pulling the heads whether they were bad or not.

One thing I will say is that I shipped my heads to them to get the work done and got them back. I did not send them my heads as a core and received a different set of heads. I made it known to Kohle @ AHP that I wanted my heads worked on and returned to me. I know I received my heads back because my friend Mr. GM Freak marked the heads in an inconspicuous area on each cyl. head before shipment and the marks were there when I received the heads back all ported, new guides, springs, valves etc etc.
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGrant (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
Hi Grant, I didn't get any info from AHP when I pulled my heads and shipped it to them. I wasn't that concerned about it since I had decided at that time to do HCI and was pulling the heads whether they were bad or not.

One thing I will say is that I shipped my heads to them to get the work done and got them back. I did not send them my heads as a core and received a different set of heads. I made it known to Kohle @ AHP that I wanted my heads worked on and returned to me. I know I received my heads back because my friend Mr. GM Freak marked the heads in an inconspicuous area on each cyl. head before shipment and the marks were there when I received the heads back all ported, new guides, springs, valves etc etc.
Thanks for the feedback on your experience!

OP and to anyone else: If you send in your heads for reworking and not purchasing a core set from us to send out ahead of time, you are GUARANTEED to get your exact same castings back.
We do not play games or switch castings on customers. We are as stand up as a shop you will find!
If you send in your heads/castings to be reworked you will receive your exact heads/castings back!

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 03-20-2019 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ramaccc (03-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Valve Guide Issue

Quick Reply: LS7 Valve Guide Issue