Canadian Events Canada, eh?

arbee is king

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 09:43 PM
mg62
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default arbee is king

Now, I don't want this thread to get a new life, but I just want to give credit where it's earned.

arbee started a more or less innocent thread about Canadians getting due respect for rescuing people in Antarctica, and all hell broke loose.

His thread was humped into the "Politics and Controversy" forum, and then locked! Locked! How controversial do you have to be to get a thread locked in Politics and Controversy?!

Holy Crap! But, after all, it was fun.

[Modified by mg62, 9:48 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: arbee is king (mg62)

...As I predicted, that thread would go to Off Topic / Poli and be locked. The people who hang out in that section are losers for the most part. As soon as you disagree with right wing thinkers in Off Topic, the groups IQ heads to the low double digits, its for that reason that I stay out of there. If there were intelegent thought provoking people in there it would be interesting, but with rifraf thats there...No thanks. I knew it was over as soon as the trolls should up.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:24 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: arbee is king (mg62)

have to agree with you Mark, love discussion until is breaks down into personal shots or baiting that really just proves what Dwayne has stated about IQ levels. From your perspective close to Bay Street how is the potential for a Liberal gov't going over. I have been away so long and so many of my friends who still work for the Investment Banks are viewing it as a non issue - as one stated the sun will still rise in the east ... and the Libs will learn that there is really not much that they can do that is significanly different that what Harris has already put in place.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Default Re: arbee is king (gdh)

have to agree with you Mark, love discussion until is breaks down into personal shots or baiting that really just proves what Dwayne has stated about IQ levels. From your perspective close to Bay Street how is the potential for a Liberal gov't going over. I have been away so long and so many of my friends who still work for the Investment Banks are viewing it as a non issue - as one stated the sun will still rise in the east ... and the Libs will learn that there is really not much that they can do that is significanly different that what Harris has already put in place.
I really hope your right, the last thing our economy needs is a loss of bussines confidence.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:28 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: arbee is king (Dwayne 76)

If the feds allow the C$ to rise to the .80 level it will be interesting to see if we have the productivity levels to compete internationally or has our economy only kept moving along due to our decreased $. Higher paying jobs have been fleeing Ontario for years even with the business oriented PC in gov't. NB has done a great job over the past decade of luring business to that province, it has truly transformed itself. My concern is that as our $ rises even more of the higher paying jobs will be moved away. I am still not sure what the full effect of NAFTA will be on Canada, if the US economy conitues to weaken will the American politicians continue to allow the exprt of American jobs to Canada or will GM, Ford and DB be forced to move production stateside to help there own economy. These are some of my concerns that I am more concerned with than wether it will be Ernie or Dalton. I would not even try to offer any solutions as it is far beyond me. After having spent more than 1/2 of my working life on Wall St. I just came to understand how little control we really exert over our own economy, and how much we have to fear that our neighbour ceases to support us. What does this have to do with vettes, ummmmm gas money?? parts availability, ummmmmm if I stretch the bs quotient still further - roads, Carlisle. I going back into my corner now, no more political talk, but as I near retirement I hope that my Teacher's Pension fund continues to be the largest fund in Canada and that it invests wisely so that in 7 years I can be a good Cdn. retire to the cottage for the spring sumer and fall and the US for the winter. god bless america, political hacks, vette owners and pension fund managers. :D
Old 09-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

HAHAHAHA. Okay, you win. Question, why did diefenbaker cancel the A.A. program? My understanding, was it was done to appease the US, as they wanted us to use a missle system for defence, which I believe was just a ploy to stop us from developing the greatest fighter in the world. On that note, I believe that Cda is going to become a State. Whether that is bad or good will be realised by our children.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:56 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

my nephew is back home on a visit, he works for a large investment bank in Ireland - I guess according to London and many other EU centers the odds are stacked significantly against our survival as a nation. Better collect some of our flags now maybe will be able to sell them on eBay in 20 years as a historical item. :lol: :rofl: :lolg: :cry
Old 09-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

My only problem with it, well actually there are many problems; is that the lax gun laws, and boneheads that live down in the States, CyberCowboy comes to mind, will eventually be able to move up here. Okay, I know, no personal attacks. The other major problem, you pointed out: the value of the dollar. Bush dosn't want the sheep to know how troubled the US economy is, createing a war to offset the sagging economy, obviously didn't work. My point: the over strength of the US dollar, though lower then the Euro, is forcing many American business's to outsource jobs, which will eventually reach a critical watermark, if not already. Canada's lower dollar, IMO, allows us, on a cursery level, to compete internationaly.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:48 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

but how is our $ doing on an international level, take the Eagle out of the equation and we have held relatively strong, problem is our reliance on the US economy, now I also know that there are areas where we do excel but can those areas offset the potential loss to the US.

oops Dwayne we had better stop this due to the fact that we have become the only participants, so get on down here and we'll conitnue it face to face, beer to pop etc. :thumbs:

[Modified by gdh, 5:59 PM 9/27/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To arbee is king

Quick Reply: arbee is king