Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is best to clean Chrome Motorsports with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
seymour
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is best to clean Chrome Motorsports with?

Just mild soap and a brush?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep.

After they are really clean, seal them up with a good sealant (ie. Zaino, Klasse, etc.)
Old 01-30-2005, 12:45 PM
KLO
Safety Car

I would be careful about what kind of brush I use, chrome scratches very easy.... Personally I use a cloth and car wash and water and thats it..
Old 01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cleaning Chrome Wheels:
Once the brake dust has been removed apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF) a wheel surface will reach a temperature in excess of 120oF due to rotor friction and in excess of 195oF when parked in the sun.The chrome plating is exceptionally thin, measured in millionths of an inch rather than in thousandths so don't use anything that will cause scratching
Methodology:
·Thoroughly rinse wheels to remove any loose surface dirt or dust, remove imbedded brake dust with detailer’s clay
·Remove surface brake dust with a 100% acid-free and neutral pH wheel cleaner (P21S Wheel Cleaner) Agitate with a soft boar’s hair wheel brush and rinse with low-pressure clean water
·If necessary use a polish to restore the lustre of polished (Semichrome, Iz™ einszett Metal Polish “Chrompflege”) to prevent re-oxidation and provide a water-resistant coating, remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel
Use a one-step product (Klasse All-In-One) to provide both cleaning and long-term polymer protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. Apply with a damp applicator; remove residue with a clean, dry micro fibre towel, and finally buff surface to a shine.

JonM
Old 01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

I know other people have asked you if your a chemist or where are your getting your information but you haven't replied. So I'll ask, are you a chemist? If not where do you get your information from. It appears to be a cut and paste thing. I ask so that I can read the entire article and develope my own opinion considering the source of the article.

I'm guessing it is from a wax or polish vendors site.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:03 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
I know other people have asked you if your a chemist or where are your getting your information but you haven't replied. So I'll ask, are you a chemist? If not where do you get your information from. It appears to be a cut and paste thing. I ask so that I can read the entire article and develope my own opinion considering the source of the article.

I'm guessing it is from a wax or polish vendors site.
I'm not a chemist my profession is Architectural Engineer, the information is a cut / past from my car care book (almost complete, trying for end Feb 05)

JonM

Last edited by TOGWT; 02-01-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What is best to clean Chrome Motorsports with?

Quick Reply: What is best to clean Chrome Motorsports with?