Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What brand of towels are now recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:22 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default What brand of towels are now recommended?

I understand that Cannon and Fieldcrest have gone out of business. I'm wondering what brand of white cotton towels folks are using now?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 PM
exceldetail
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cotton? Whats that ? Most are using (and if your not you should be) microfiber polishing towels, and/or waffle weave drying towels......
Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Most do use quality microfiber towels instead of cotton. Some great suppliers are www.exceldetail.com www.pakshak.com and www.dftowel.com

If you are really stuck on using cotton (terry), "KLO" on this board sells some nice Supima cotton towels.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:48 PM
KLO
Safety Car

www.dftowel.com for which I work for are cotton micro fiber towels, all natural and approved by Sal Zaino. All other micros will be man made materials. I also am still making my terry cloth towels from West Point Stevens Supima towels instead of the Cannons..........
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
c606
Instructor

Just placed my order at www.dftowel.com. When I ordered, everything was 25% off, very reasonable prices.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Micro Fiber Towels

For Drying Big Blue Ii A Waffle Microfiber Towel ..
Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Originally Posted by c606
Just placed my order at www.dftowel.com. When I ordered, everything was 25% off, very reasonable prices.

How did you get 25% off? I'd like to place an order.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-25-2005, 11:24 PM
c606
Instructor

I ordered about a week ago and everything on the site was 25% off. I just checked and it looks like their site is down for a couple of days. It could be that the sale is over.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:27 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Micro fibre by definition (very small; involving minute quantities or variations) is not a fabric; it is a yarn, spun into thread, which is then used to weave a fabric. These ultra-fine yarns (2X as fine as silk and 100X finer than a human hair) are made form various sources They can be made from many different materials, including plastics such as rayon, nylon, nylon by-products or polyester (the first material used to produce Microfiber) or a natural material such as cellulose (a plant carbohydrate) both linen and cotton are natural plant fibres

The smaller the diameter of the yarn, the softer the fabric will feel, however this does not mean that its non-abrasive and will not cause scratches (this softness can also be chemically induced)

Most Microfiber that originates from Asia and the Far East is fabricated from nylon, polyester or nylon by-products. Because the label says Microfiber is no assurance that the material is safe to use or that it is non-abrasive.

Its scratch resistance has a lot to do with the way the fibres are processed and spun, there are too many factors to be able to say conclusively that natural fibres will not cause scratches and artificial fibres will. In my opinion, however, natural fibres are far less likely to scratch. Flannel or cotton flannel is a very tight weave and it could scratch as it mats down easily, always try to stay with a terrycloth weave

JonM
Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

I recommend Cobra Waffle weave microfiber towels.
Autogeek.net has them...

http://www.autogeek.net/xlarcobwafwe1.html

Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Big Blue II waffle microfiber towel for drying.

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I understand that Cannon and Fieldcrest have gone out of business. I'm wondering what brand of white cotton towels folks are using now?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-27-2005, 12:21 AM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Microfiber towels, $9.99 at Costco for I think 18 per package.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:35 AM
srchief100
Burning Brakes

Don't want to appear that I am hijacking this thread - but with the knowledge displayed here I have a quick question ???

I have read that micro-fibre towels can be washed, and I have done that without using anytype of laundry soap and letting them soak for a few hours without starting the washer. I then put them in the dryer and do not use any fabric softner sheets. When the towels come out they are covered with lint which transfers to my Vette. Should I just let them drip dry or toss em 'out and buy new ones when they get a little dirty? Thanks
Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Violet
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we bought the blue microfiber towels from www.exceldetail.com ...i think that's there URL. anyway, great product... good price.. fantastic shipping/customer service.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by srchief100
Don't want to appear that I am hijacking this thread - but with the knowledge displayed here I have a quick question ???

I have read that micro-fibre towels can be washed, and I have done that without using anytype of laundry soap and letting them soak for a few hours without starting the washer. I then put them in the dryer and do not use any fabric softner sheets. When the towels come out they are covered with lint which transfers to my Vette. Should I just let them drip dry or toss em 'out and buy new ones when they get a little dirty? Thanks
Something along these lines: http://bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=49
Old 01-27-2005, 11:05 AM
srchief100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZaneO
ZaneO - You 'da man thanks much

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of towels are now recommended?

Old 01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by srchief100

I wash my microfiber towels with a small amount of laundry detergent, on the "permanent press" cycle, and then let them airdry (never use the dryer). They come out clean and ready to go.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Screw all that "micro-fiber" towel crap...I use well worn and washed Martha Stewart cotton towells from K-mart

After a bunch of washes and drying they are Oh-so soft and sop up the water very well.

I'v used old towels to wipe off my cars since I was able to wash a car with my dad....everything from my NCRS 72 Stingray to my bike to my daily driver "94" Vette...which still sports the original great looking Admiral blue paint it left the factory with

People get too hung up on which and what to use

Use what works best for you

I'v tried the micro fiber shammy super sopper bullshnit towels. ..they just don't soke up the water as well as a well worn 100% cotton towel

And don't even get me started on ..."it will scratch your paint" PLEASE...anything you use to dry your Vette with can scratch the paint
Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69mako
I'v tried the micro fiber shammy super sopper bullshnit towels. ..they just don't soke up the water as well as a well worn 100% cotton towel
Are you talking about a waffle weave drying towel or a normal microfiber?

Quick Reply: What brand of towels are now recommended?