Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

IF anyone's still on the Fence,which Product to get...read this

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default IF anyone's still on the Fence,which Product to get...read these DETAILS

IF anyone's still on the Fence,which Product to get...read these DETAILS

Hi guys,

I'm usually write a lot on the C5forum.com, but I do like to read threads on this site as well. Infact, I bought my car from a member on this site. Well, that's a long story...will tell another day. (in short, I bought the car from Steve, WI...and I basically live in CA.... So figure that. Steve was a wonderful guy to deal with. Will share details some other time).

Anyhow, since the car was bought in WI, and had a lot of driving in the rain and snow there, I was very concerned about the product I was gonna use on my first Vette. I do tons of reseach (that's why I bought the car in WI). After reading on a dozen sites, going through nite/day on forums, personally talking to ppl... reading consumer reports, and whatever else I could do.... I still couldn't think of what to buy. The race was between NXT and Zaino. I know most ppl on this site and C5 sites talk about Zaino a lot. So, I didn't wanna just follow them. I read some other forums, where guys would swear by NXT as the best product they've bought (even ex-zaino customers). SO, I bought NXT from Walmart ($14.95), NXT even makes a product which is a Gloss spray for $11.49, like the Z6 (Zaino). I figured both are good and have high ratings (zaino a lil higher). But Zaino Kit is about $85 ($96 w/shipping) which kept holding me back. I bought the NXT wax. But then I didn't have a car wash. I figured $5-$8 a good car wash. But then, since this would be the first time this car's getting a wash/wax job (in my knowledge), I needs to get Clayed. Clay bars run $17 at a local auto store. I'd still need to buy polish applicators....

So lets add up the "good" products from a local auto store or Walmart. NXT Silicon polish (wax) = $14.95, Gloss spray=$11.49, Clay bars=$17, applicators= $5 (for 2), swirl remover (cuz my car's Blk)=$14, Regular car wash= $5.. Total= $67.44. Add the Ca Tax and its close to $75.00. Now I'd get everything in the Zaino kit for $85+S/H. NOT much difference, I thought. I still have the NXT wax, but didn't buy other products. I'll probably return it to Walmart or use it as a Text against Zaino. I got the Zaino kit. Let me tell ya, it was everything I expected it to be....

My procedure - I washed the car with Z7 (car wash), then washed it again with Dawn (blue) dishwashing soap (as per insturctions). Then mixed Z7 with 12 oz water in a spray bottle, and used that as lubricant for the Clay bar..rubbed it all over, one section at a time. (while using the water hose to clean it off after a section is done). After Claying the whole car, washed it with Z7 again. Car was slick and shiny Black and seemed wet, even after I dried it with new Cotton towels. Here's the cool part - mixed ZFX (5 drops) into the supplied small bottle, and added 1 oz of Z5 (swirl remover), shook it well and applied with the supplied cotton applicator. Very light coat (as per instructions). Half an oz did the whole car (The other half oz I saved for the 2nd coat). Removed the haze after 1 hr. Car was shining like a black mirror Applied the 2nd coat now (11pm), will remove it in the morning. Cant wait to see what happens

Zaino says, use Z2 as the last coat, since its optically the more clear and reflective than the Z5 (swirl remover). I'm already happy with the Z5, can't imagine how the Z2 can make it even better Not to mention, I still have to use the Z6 (Gloss spary after Z2). I think I'm gonna blind ppl on the road with the shine..

So if anyone's still thinking what product to get.... Add up all the items you're gonna buy from Walmart, then compare that with Zaino-show car polish system. You'll get the ans, its so clear and obvious. I don't sell Zaino. Infact, I bought it from a local distributor, and picked up the kit for $84 (NO shipping) (Steve in San Jose, nice person). Awesome Product!

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-01-2005 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 AM
quick99ls1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know that feeling, zaino is great
Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 AM
black bart
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan

Hi guys,

I'm usually write a lot on the C5forum.com, but I do like to read threads on this site as well. Infact, I bought my car from a member on this site. Well, that's a long story...will tell another day. (in short, I bought the car from Steve, WI...and I basically live in CA.... So figure that. Steve was a wonderful guy to deal with. Will share details some other time).

Anyhow, since the car was bought in WI, and had a lot of driving in the rain and snow there, I was very concerned about the product I was gonna use on my first Vette. I do tons of reseach (that's why I bought the car in WI). After reading on a dozen sites, going through nite/day on forums, personally talking to ppl... reading consumer reports, and whatever else I could do.... I still couldn't think of what to buy. The race was between NXT and Zaino. I know most ppl on this site and C5 sites talk about Zaino a lot. So, I didn't wanna just follow them. I read some other forums, where guys would swear by NXT as the best product they've bought (even ex-zaino customers). SO, I bought NXT from Walmart ($14.95), NXT even makes a product which is a Gloss spray for $11.49, like the Z6 (Zaino). I figured both are good and have high ratings (zaino a lil higher). But Zaino Kit is about $85 ($96 w/shipping) which kept holding me back. I bought the NXT wax. But then I didn't have a car wash. I figured $5-$8 a good car wash. But then, since this would be the first time this car's getting a wash/wax job (in my knowledge), I needs to get Clayed. Clay bars run $17 at a local auto store. I'd still need to buy polish applicators....

So lets add up the "good" products from a local auto store or Walmart. NXT Silicon polish (wax) = $14.95, Gloss spray=$11.49, Clay bars=$17, applicators= $5 (for 2), swirl remover (cuz my car's Blk)=$14, Regular car wash= $5.. Total= $67.44. Add the Ca Tax and its close to $75.00. Now I'd get everything in the Zaino kit for $85+S/H. NOT much difference, I thought. I still have the NXT wax, but didn't buy other products. I'll probably return it to Walmart or use it as a Text against Zaino. I got the Zaino kit. Let me tell ya, it was everything I expected it to be....

My procedure - I washed the car with Z7 (car wash), then washed it again with Dawn (blue) dishwashing soap (as per insturctions). Then mixed Z7 with 12 oz water in a spray bottle, and used that as lubricant for the Clay bar..rubbed it all over, one section at a time. (while using the water hose to clean it off after a section is done). After Claying the whole car, washed it with Z7 again. Car was slick and shiny Black and seemed wet, even after I dried it with new Cotton towels. Here's the cool part - mixed ZFX (5 drops) into the supplied small bottle, and added 1 oz of Z5 (swirl remover), shook it well and applied with the supplied cotton applicator. Very light coat (as per instructions). Half an oz did the whole car (The other half oz I saved for the 2nd coat). Removed the haze after 1 hr. Car was shining like a black mirror Applied the 2nd coat now (11pm), will remove it in the morning. Cant wait to see what happens

Zaino says, use Z2 as the last coat, since its optically the more clear and reflective than the Z5 (swirl remover). I'm already happy with the Z5, can't imagine how the Z2 can make it even better Not to mention, I still have to use the Z6 (Gloss spary after Z2). I think I'm gonna blind ppl on the road with the shine..

So if anyone's still thinking what product to get.... Add up all the items you're gonna buy from Walmart, then compare that with Zaino-show car polish system. You'll get the ans, its so clear and obvious. I don't sell Zaino. Infact, I bought it from a local distributor, and picked up the kit for $84 (NO shipping) (Steve in San Jose, nice person). Awesome Product!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black bart

Zaino has been on this board the 5+ years i've been here and product after product has been compared to Zaino.
Yet Zaino is still here and the others have bit the dust.
So I agree with the

Zaino continues to be the best!

Last edited by 69er; 03-01-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
exceldetail
Instructor

Good for Zaino....
I prefer Four Star or Blackfire....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:05 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan

Hi guys,

Please tell us something we haven't heard before....

Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Get notified of new replies

To IF anyone's still on the Fence,which Product to get...read this

Quick Reply: IF anyone's still on the Fence,which Product to get...read this