Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Poor Boys Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:13 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poor Boys Wax

I read some posts about Poor Boys Wax here and decided to give it a shot. In my 26 years on this planet i must have tried dozens of waxes/polishes, etc... on my cars. Not to mention i have always been a Zaino guy; at least till yesterday.

I bought the Poor Boys Wax (SSR2, EX-P and the carnuba wax). WOW is all i can say. Some of my neighbors even complimented me on how great it looked. I was impressed. The SSR2 got all my small swirls and blemishes out and then once the polish was put on i was sold. Just wanted to share my experience with those who were hesitant to try it!!!! I'll post pics tomorrow
Old 04-06-2005, 11:29 PM
wolfmd
Pro

Where did you buy this product?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:39 AM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Autogeek carries it. One of our forum sponsors.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 AM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool... this will be moved to car care, but I'd like to see your pic's
Old 04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

i have some ssr1 and 2.5 along with the pro polish that i have been waiting to try.

what did you apply the ssr2 with? pc? and what pad and speed did you use?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Poorboys is a great line and can be purchased at www.autogeek.net/poorboysworld.html with couponcode "corvetteforum" to save another 10% the already low prices. Some of the best offerings:

SSR 2.5 --- Great Polish with super nice results
Wheel Cleaner --- This is truly a spray on / spray off product
EX-P --- This is there Sealant, thicker than most / spread lightly
EX w/ Carnuba --- Hybrid mix of sealant and carnuba wax
Gloss Spray --- Little Finicky, use a little at a time and good m/f
Nattys Wax --- truly a last stage Carnuba, close to Pinnacle
QD+ --- believed to be discontinued, a Spray Wax product not QD
Bright and Bold --- super tire protectant, nice high gloss

Last edited by Killrwheels; 04-07-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:47 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I like their swirl removers alot (2.5 and 1) but have not tried any of their waxes. I do have a sample of EX-P that I have not tried yet but do not expect that it will last or look as good as zaino from what I have read on autopia. We will see...
Old 04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
noran01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
i have some ssr1 and 2.5 along with the pro polish that i have been waiting to try.

what did you apply the ssr2 with? pc? and what pad and speed did you use?
I applied the ssr2 with a foam pad by hand, then buffed it off with my porter cable orbital polisher (speed setting #5 i think).
Old 04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Intermezzo
Racer

noran01, good post. Thanks for the info!

Keep us posted on how things go as I'd be interested in seeing if you got results similar to mine. I used Poorboy’s EX-P a few times as well and was very impressed with the initial shine. I would put ease of use and slickness right up there with Z-2 Pro. I tested this product up against Wolfgang, Z-5 & Menzerna’s FMJ on the hood of one of our cars (black paint).

I thought EX-P stood up pretty well against these products initially. I honestly could not tell a difference between the 4 products on my car in terms of looks & slickness. However, after the 2nd week and 2nd wash, the WG & Z-5 seemed to be holding up, but the EX-P & FMJ seemed to be on its very last legs. It would be understandable for a carnauba wax to last only a few weeks, but EX-P & FMJ are purported to be sealants.

Also, another curious thing I found after the 2nd week was I noticed the EX-P sections had some white patches that looked like unbuffed product. There is absolutely no way these were there when I initially applied and buffed the product. I tried wiping the patches off with a dry MF to no avail. It just seemed to gum up and would only come off with QD. A few other folks in other forums also experienced these small white patches with EX-P.

By the third week, the EX-P section was squeaky clean, FMJ was on its last legs and WG was starting to pool water. Z-5 section, true to form, was still going strong.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In talking to the owner/designer of Poorboys, it seems that EX-P has been enhanced and while the name was not changed, it is not uncommon for others to now call it EX-P+.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
6']['9
Advanced

yup the EXP+ topped with natties is the bomb on any color. Even if you use Clearkotes Red Machine Glaze then EXP+ it brings out flake big time. heres a pic with the Poorboys ProPolish and their EX carnuba sealant.

Get notified of new replies

To Poor Boys Wax

Quick Reply: Poor Boys Wax