Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Old black paint - try 3M!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 AM
HellBent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old black paint - try 3M!!!!!

I have a Black 1998 Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS300). The paint was looking good two years ago, but I have no garage and no place to wash it as I live in an appartment. I take it to automatic car washes.

Needless to say after two years the paint is scratched like crazy, covered with water marks, and has lots of little medium scratches from careless car doors and broke-down car washes.

I tried numerous cleaner waxes and so called polishes. Nothing even remotely worked. The paint is black enamel I think, as a little bit of black will come off on the rag during polishing.

After doing some research, I came across 3M professional formula "one step cleaner wax: medium oxidation remover" part # 051131 (39066).

THIS PRODUCT IS SIMPLY MIRACULOUS!!!!!!!!!

I had used turtle wax polishing compound to try and remove a scratch on my door and ended up with a large circular swirl mark, that left the paint looking grey. I tried the 3M cleaner wax. OMFG!!! It was like new paint afterwards!!!!

Ok. I know what you are thinking, it will wash off like many other glazing compounds. Not yet! Two weeks and two good rain storms later, not to mention two automatic car washes it still looks like new paint. No swirl marks or scratches!

My trunk lid has that ever so slight bob-tail that collects water. The rain actually left hard water rings in this area, leaving the trunk lid looking like the Bonneville Salt Flats. I used a little polishing compound to remove the hard water marks and hit it with the 3M cleaner wax. Presto, looks better than the new Benz parked next to me!

Thank you 3M!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

-AL
Old 04-24-2005, 09:36 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HellBent
I have a Black 1998 Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS300). The paint was looking good two years ago, but I have no garage and no place to wash it as I live in an appartment. I take it to automatic car washes.

Needless to say after two years the paint is scratched like crazy, covered with water marks, and has lots of little medium scratches from careless car doors and broke-down car washes.

I tried numerous cleaner waxes and so called polishes. Nothing even remotely worked. The paint is black enamel I think, as a little bit of black will come off on the rag during polishing.

After doing some research, I came across 3M professional formula "one step cleaner wax: medium oxidation remover" part # 051131 (39066).

I had used turtle wax polishing compound to try and remove a scratch on my door and ended up with a large circular swirl mark, that left the paint looking grey. I tried the 3M cleaner wax. OMFG!!! It was like new paint afterwards!!!!

Ok. I know what you are thinking, it will wash off like many other glazing compounds. Not yet! Two weeks and two good rain storms later, not to mention two automatic car washes it still looks like new paint. No swirl marks or scratches!

My trunk lid has that ever so slight bob-tail that collects water. The rain actually left hard water rings in this area, leaving the trunk lid looking like the Bonneville Salt Flats. I used a little polishing compound to remove the hard water marks and hit it with the 3M cleaner wax. Presto, looks better than the new Benz parked next to me!

Thank you 3M!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

-AL
Al,

Saw a couple of things in the post that I wanted to warn you about. First paint transfer .... your car (unless repainted) should have originally been clear-coated. That means if you are seeing black, you have worn out or the clearcoat has been removed in that area. Now, not knowing the condition of the car, maybe you were seeing dirt and contaminents coming off the paint.

Second, you discussed compounds and the swirls it left. A compound is the MOST agressive polish offered and should only be used in extreme situations. Some compounds should NEVER be used on a clearcoated automobile as it can permanently damage. Always start at the least aggressive and move forward only as necessary.

Finally, the choice of product is yours. But might I suggest that you consider adding some additional protection to protect your hard work. You see the product you refer to is an all-in-one and as such does everything pretty well, but not necessarily everything perfect. I would add a carnuba only product over it to offer some additional protection. I would not suggest a sealant as it might not adhere properly to the 3M Cleaner Wax. Good luck !
Old 04-24-2005, 09:50 AM
ImpySS96
Advanced

Some Lexus models do not have clear. I know the black on the IS300 for sure has one-stage paint.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HellBent

Thank you 3M!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

-AL
I use it all the time. They also have a product called Finish Restorer that is awesome.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
First paint transfer .... your car (unless repainted) should have originally been clear-coated. That means if you are seeing black, you have worn out or the clearcoat has been removed in that area.
Toyota is pretty well known for using single stage black paint, thus the color transfer.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:36 PM
HellBent
Racer

Thanks for the comments guys!

I just had another great save. After being out of town for a few days, I noticed a bird dropping on the rear driver side passenger doors. The hot sun had baked the droppins and damaged the paint below.

We have these large sea hawks here in Japan that have really caustic droppings! It actually bubbled up some paint on my hood! Well, to make a long story short the patch of paint on the door was actually wrinkled, about as much as a fingerprint. I thought this damage was hopeless. I hit it with the 3M cleaner wax, and I was amazed! Comletely fixed!

I used a rapid circular motion with hard pressure. The paint is now mirror-like and looks much better than the paint around it! I can't believe this stuff!

Next project is the roof...

-AL

Get notified of new replies

To Old black paint - try 3M!!!!!

Quick Reply: Old black paint - try 3M!!!!!