Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black car owners only...which wax repels dirt best allowing easier quick cleanup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dust will settle on anything and everything. Nothing "repels" dust.

Depending on the product you use will determine how easy it is to remove the dust. The Zaino Z-6 seems to remove any static and makes for a very slick surface. Most of the dust seems to just blow off. The oils in some products will hold onto the dust as well as static.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:50 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Why?
Oil content, carnauba wax relies more on oil content to make the shine, please see The Wax Test by www.gurureports.org for a complete explanation of this, carnauba wax in and of it self in raw form is not shiney at all, a dull wax............
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
I believe it is just the opposite, synthetic attract more dust. My experience with synthetics is there is a lot more static electricity generated put them on and with the airflow when being driven which attracts the dust. The morning sun comes though my window in the garage and you can see dust going sideways toward the car with synthetic polished. The oils in glazes and carnaubas just don’t generate that kind of static so attracts less dust.
To each his own, but your experience has been the total complete opposite of mine.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe it is just the opposite, synthetic attract more dust. My experience with synthetics is there is a lot more static electricity generated put them on and with the airflow when being driven which attracts the dust. The morning sun comes though my window in the garage and you can see dust going sideways toward the car with synthetic polished. The oils in glazes and carnaubas just don’t generate that kind of static so attracts less dust.
IMO, application and towels cause static charge...not the product itself.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLO
To each his own, but your experience has been the total complete opposite of mine.
So what you are saying is that a OILY surface will produce more static than a NON-OILY surface.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
KLO
Safety Car

So what you are saying is that a OILY surface will produce more static than a NON-OILY surface.
I dont get any static as I prepare my towels in such a way as not to cause them to hold a charge, of course an oily surface will attract more dust than a non-oily one. I know, back in the 80's all I ever used was 3M Imperial hand glaze and that attracted dust like crazy.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:18 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLO
I dont get any static as I prepare my towels in such a way as not to cause them to hold a charge, of course an oily surface will attract more dust than a non-oily one. I know, back in the 80's all I ever used was 3M Imperial hand glaze and that attracted dust like crazy.
The static is caused by friction (polyester nylon will increase the charge) foam used on a rotary or a buffer will also cause friction/static. So you prepare you towels in a way that they don't create friction/static when used? I use Sonus MF towel wash and line dry mine still will produce static when used. I used by PC to remove some swirls marks and they tried Megs #7 (that stuff hard to get off but sure looks good) and the side Megs #7 on had less dust this morning then with nothing on it.

Looks like Zaino has already figured out the sealants do create static and have take steps to correct the problem. This was PM me "Its super ANTI-STATIC properties will reduce dust and dirt PICKUP by up to 60%. The more you use Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray the slicker and more dust-free your paint will be." Off the Zanio Website!!

Last edited by 58Vette65; 05-11-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:32 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Zaino. Especially Z8

And yes, I drank the Zaino Kool-Aid
Old 05-12-2005, 10:05 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KLO
Oil content, carnauba wax relies more on oil content to make the shine, please see The Wax Test by www.gurureports.org for a complete explanation of this, carnauba wax in and of it self in raw form is not shiney at all, a dull wax............
Of coarse you do know that sealants contain chemicals that in their RAW FORM have warnings like “Avoid Contact With Skin” and “Use in well ventilated area” and in their raw form are consider hazardous materials.

Last edited by 58Vette65; 05-12-2005 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Black car owners only...which wax repels dirt best allowing easier quick cleanup?