Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Recommended Glass Cleaner for Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Runesabre
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Glass Cleaner for Windshield?

I've been using Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner for my windows. It works pretty well. The main thing I notice is it seems the windshield seems to collect dirt a lot quicker than I would like and the wipers don't seem to wipe the glass as clean as I would like between washings.

Is there any special glass cleaning (or maybe even glass waxing) products that might work better on the front windshield?

Or maybe just a better glass cleaner in general?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

I swear by Stoners Invisible Glass. I buy it by the case, free shipping, and have been using it for years. No smear - no smudge - no streaking - no kidding.

I have applied Liquid Glass but can't see much in the way of difference. I REALLY like the waffle weave towels on glass. That is my latest detailing discovery.

Dan
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Texas Corvette
Racer

Stoner Invisible Glass-after applying and wiping off with a 100% cotton towel the glass is VERY clear, clean and sparkles.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
georges03zo6
Racer

Originally Posted by VETFVER
I swear by Stoners Invisible Glass. I buy it by the case, free shipping, and have been using it for years. No smear - no smudge - no streaking - no kidding.

I have applied Liquid Glass but can't see much in the way of difference. I REALLY like the waffle weave towels on glass. That is my latest detailing discovery.

Dan
I also swear by Stoners Invisible Glass. I clean the outside of the windows 1st with a microfiber towel and use the same damp towel to wipe down the inside of the windows. Works great. I'll have to try using the waffle towels on the windows next time. I've been using them for drying the car only and love them for that purpose.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

STONERS
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM
gwayne
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I've been using Meguiar's NXT Glass cleaner recently and this is by far the best glass cleaner I've ever used - BUT, I've never tried Invisible Glass so I can't compare. With the NXT the windshield stays super clean and even those cheap service station squeegies lift off bug splatter in one swoop (or swish )
Absolutely use micro-fiber for doing windows. That makes a huge difference by itself.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Stoner's.

I have also heard good things about Eagle One 20/20 and VERY good things about NXT Glass Cleaner.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I love Invisible Glass, but so does the wife. Meaning it ends up in the house and missing in action when needed. I also buy several at a time and have only found Safeways Glass Cleaner to come close in performance.
http://www.autogeek.net/stoninglas.html

Ill see if Jason can forward some NXT and some Wurth's glass cleaner to do a head-to-head test.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 117 Posts

I use Stoner's with no worries.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Geneo
Intermediate

Default Window cleaner

Stoners is by far the best I've used, and believe me I've tried them all over 40 plus years (I'm 56). If there's a better product on the market I will sure give it a try.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Crusher
STONERS
Old 05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
bretfraz
Racer

I'm a glass cleaner junkie (love that smell!!) and I've used dozens of different glass cleaners. Stoners IG is about as good as they come, right up there with Sprayway which has been my favorite until recently.

My new all time ultimate favorite is Einszett Scheibenklar windscreen cleaner. An awesome glass cleaner!! Not dramatically better than IG or Sprayway but it is better (less streaking, you use less product to clean, less wiping).

Is there any special glass cleaning (or maybe even glass waxing) products that might work better on the front windshield?
What I'd suggest is use a glass polish to remove embedded grime, oil, crud, etc. You apply & remove it like a car wax. I've had excellent luck with glass polishes from Autoglym, Zaino, Detailers Pride (aka Autogeek house brand) and Duragloss. It's something you'll prolly have to buy online although a local parts store might have Duragloss' cleaner.

Final suggestion is to use a water repellent for glass. Rain X works well but needs pretty frequent re-applications. I use a product called Aqaupel which is a resin-based sealant made for auto glass.

Do you use your wipers to clean the glass, using the squirters and washer juice? What kind of washer juice are you using? That could be the culprit.

How are your wiper blades? Clean them with a towel and some glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol or replace them if they're about a year old.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

I'm new to detailing fine points so I don't know if what i did to my glass is accepted practice. I used Stonner's IG to re-clean after shampoo and then I used Klasse AIO on all the windows' outside surfaces. I don't know how old my wiper blades are, I just got the car, but in a very light rain they don't skip or streak. I think the AIO helped? I also washed the blades with some IG on a M/F towel & then put some 303 on a M/F towel and rubbed it in well on the blades. I find that the light rain is when my blades skip on my DD until they get wet enough. It didn't happen on my vette after I did those steps so I did it on my DD and it worked there also. I just don't know which step is the real solution. I usually change my DD's blades twice @ yr, before winter and before spring. The only problem I see is I don't know what is in the washer tank & that stuff will probably take off the AIO. Just thought I'd pass my observation along in case there is something useful in there, Tom.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Fighter
Advanced

Stoners Invisible Glass is number one!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 AM
PJinNJ
Racer

Default Easy

Apply a coat of Rejex after cleaning.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stoners for general purpose cleaning with an occasional claybar session to get the crud out of the glass.

A good claybar session makes your wipers work like you had a new windshield and helps cut down on glare.

Claybar it just like you would paint and use a plastic bag on your fingers to see if you are done. It took me 20-30 minutes to get my 9 year old windshield smooth enough to pass the baggy test. Now it just takes a couple of minutes a month to keep it smoother than a baby's butt.

It won't fix pits, but a lot of windshield unpleasantness is microscopic particles embedded in the glass. A claybar removes them.

My impression is that the clay polished the glass a bit in addition to removing the crud, but I can't be sure.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:54 AM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Glass cleaners are 99% water....so what's cleaning the glass?

A couple of micro fiber towels, one damp and the other dry, is all you need. If you feel you need some cleaning umph then spray the damp towel with some ISP.

If you feel you must use a window cleaner then try Eagle One 20/20.

A nice home recipe is 30oz of distilled water with a few drops of vinegar and/or ISP. Place in a 32oz spray bottle and you're set.

Anthony

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Glass Cleaner for Windshield?

Quick Reply: Recommended Glass Cleaner for Windshield?