Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

california duster q...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 PM
JyymBo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default california duster q...

Maybe a dumb question, but here goes...

I've never used a California Duster before, but my thought is this...your car is perfectly clean, washed - waxed, etc....you drive around for a bit and you get some dust/dirt on it...you pull the duster out...and after a few swipes you have a pretty much dust free car, but doesn't it scratch??? Just wonderin'...let me know what ya'll think...

JimO
Erie, PA
Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a black coupe that I use it on all the time and it saves me a lot of work. Let the duster do the work and don't use pressure. Just make sure it is only light dust and never use after it has been rained on. Works great.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:53 PM
JyymBo
Burning Brakes

Thanks man...i was just wonderin' 'bout that.

JimO
Erie, PA
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 PM
KnightRider02
Pro

Originally Posted by 97Black
I have a black coupe that I use it on all the time and it saves me a lot of work. Let the duster do the work and don't use pressure. Just make sure it is only light dust and never use after it has been rained on. Works great.

I agree...I got a black 02...use it all the time
Old 06-06-2005, 01:01 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Been using the duster since the late 80's, no scratches usued correctly.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:16 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car Duster:
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it. It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Microfiber) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface. Rinsing the surface with water or applying a quick detailer (QD) or use the CCD as stated above to remove dust

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed) http://www.calcarduster.com/faq.asp
JonM
Old 06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Make sure you do not rub hard, especially on black. I use mine all the time but I drag it over the surface so that the ends of the strands just barely touch picking up the dust. I see people all the time with the whole duster laying on the car, some even applying pressure and cringe.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97Black
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
RubyDropTop
Instructor

Used properly, a California Duster is an excellent detailing tool. One point I'd like to make in it's use though, is that it is best for use from the beltline of the car and up. Beneath the beltline you tend to pick up road oils/grime and you really don't want that stuff on your duster. Use quality microfiber towels and a good Quick Detail Spray for the lower part of the body.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
JyymBo
Burning Brakes

Wow...thanks EVERYBODY!!!!

Sometimes I'm amazed at the info available through this forum!

JimO
11 more student loan payments until I own a Vette!!!!!
Erie, PA
Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works

One of the single greatest hints, otherwise streaking will be noticed and product will be returned. Oxo makes an awesome one also ... and I like it JUST cause its blue !

http://www.autogeek.net/oxo580.html
Old 06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have been using the same California Duster for over 2 years. Remember the dirtier it gets, the better it is. I "dust" my Vette at least 4 times a week. Amazing how much dust it picks up parked in the garage!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yep -- count me in, agree with all the above.
hard to remember how old my duster is -- there's a good chance it's 9 yrs old. The only one i've ever had. have never washed it. never a scratch.

only use it on dry dust and pollen on the hood and trunk, and highest parts of the sides. Never on the cloth roof (convertible) -- will make a mess there.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:01 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I also have been using the same California duster for 6 years now. Never washed it either.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Default California

Originally Posted by JyymBo
I've never used a California Duster before, but my thought is this...your car is perfectly clean, washed - waxed, etc....you drive around for a bit and you get some dust/dirt on it...you pull the duster out...and after a few swipes you have a pretty much dust free car, but doesn't it scratch??? Just wonderin'...let me know what ya'll think...
JimO
Erie, PA
By now you've read all the pluses about the California Duster, and I concur! But there is another product from this company called the California Water Blade. It's a silicon squeege that wipes off the water after washing. Really saves time in drying your car, but there is one caution. Be sure your clean it before using it!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:01 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Originally Posted by C5-BRUCE
By now you've read all the pluses about the California Duster, and I concur! But there is another product from this company called the California Water Blade. It's a silicon squeege that wipes off the water after washing. Really saves time in drying your car, but there is one caution. Be sure your clean it before using it!
I have been considering getting a California Water Blade to aid in my battle against hard water spots. (already using Mr. Clean kit) I have also used a leaf blower and it helps, but it is so hot in Louisiana this time of year that it is hard to get the water off of the car before it spots. The only concern I have about the blade is the possibility of scratching the clear coat. Problem? Any other advice before trying this thing on my blac C5 coupe?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:35 AM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I have been considering getting a California Water Blade to aid in my battle against hard water spots. (already using Mr. Clean kit) I have also used a leaf blower and it helps, but it is so hot in Louisiana this time of year that it is hard to get the water off of the car before it spots. The only concern I have about the blade is the possibility of scratching the clear coat. Problem? Any other advice before trying this thing on my blac C5 coupe?
The reason I mentioned cleaning it first (every time) was a problem with a friends triple black coupe. I'd finished my car and loaned him the Water Blade. It was a bit windy and we think some debris blew on to his wet car. The Water Blade dragged it across his rear deck, scratching the clear coat. We got the scratch out with a PC buffer, but he never let me forget it!

Get notified of new replies

To california duster q...

Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would stear clear of the water blade, one little piece of grit on the surface and you have a nice scratch. I would use it on the windows but that is it.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Thanks

I tried the water blade yesterday in 100 degree weather washing the car on section at a time. I also used the Mr. Clean soap and filter. I got pretty fair results, only a few spots. If I could keep the overspray off the parts I have already washed and dried, it would probably be perfect. But alas, I guess I'll just do the best I can to prevent spotting, then claybar and reapply Zainos in September - October, when temperatures begin to moderate. (I hate summer)
Old 06-13-2005, 03:43 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Default 100 degree weather?

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I tried the water blade yesterday in 100 degree weather washing the car on section at a time. I also used the Mr. Clean soap and filter. I got pretty fair results, only a few spots. - October, when temperatures begin to moderate. (I hate summer)
Summer? I'm still waiting for Summer! I live in Colorado Springs. Yesterday it was in the mid 50's. Last night we had high winds and there are trees down in the neighborhood. The night before we had hail. Today it's in the mid-70's and no wind? Regular gas is $2.03, so it can't be all bad.

Quick Reply: california duster q...