Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

WHAT is GLAZE ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default WHAT is GLAZE ???

Its a simple question, what is Glaze? I understand the polishes and wax, but where does Glaze fit in, and what's its purpose? Someone told me it has fillers to fill the minor swirls/scartches. Is that true? If so, what might be the BEST product on the market? (I'm considering Menzerna Glaze, maybe #7 also). Does Glaze contribute to the shine/deep gloss ?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glaze:
Is purely an aesthetic product that provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concours show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

They are formulated with micro-fine abrasives (Kaolin clay) that will burnish the paint (but will not remove surface imperfections) it’s comparative abrasion scale (CAS= 1/10) along with an emulsion of polymers and Carnauba wax that `fills in' small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. There filling abilities usually dissipate in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process
JonM
Old 07-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Glaze:
Is purely an aesthetic product that provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concours show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

They are formulated with micro-fine abrasives (Kaolin clay) that will burnish the paint (but will not remove surface imperfections) it’s comparative abrasion scale (CAS= 1/10) along with an emulsion of polymers and Carnauba wax that `fills in' small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. There filling abilities usually dissipate in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this processJonM
Thanks Jon, I am looking for that "show car, wet-looking" shine as you described in your first paragraph. And the Glaze fills small swirls, scratches, etc... That is EXACTLY what I want. What you said (highlighted), I have a question about that. Can I use a Wax, or Sealant such as Zaino to keep the Glaze longer.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Glazes and carnaubas usually have oils/fillers that wear away with washing and/or heat, etc. Not a whole lot you can do about it. Remove as many defects as possible, and you won't have to worry about glazes hiding things.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Glazes and carnaubas usually have oils/fillers that wear away with washing and/or heat, etc. Not a whole lot you can do about it. Remove as many defects as possible, and you won't have to worry about glazes hiding things.
I'll surely do that as mentioned in my other thread - MENZERNA. I will be using IP / FP-II and PC with Orange/White/Black pads. But I like the idea of having a HIGH GLOSS and hiding any minor swirls that might be left behind - After removing (as much possible). Thats why Im curious to know more about Glaze, and my possibilites with it.. Thanks again, keep the info flowing..
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 AM
wildcatter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The glaze that I am using is from Klasse. I am using it on top of the Klasse All-In-One polish. The glaze does provide a high level of protection and does deepen the shine and provide a more wet look. I have 3 coats on now and the results are phenominal.

Here is a link with some info. I am sure you can find a lot more with a Google:

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html

(I bought the "Klasse Supersize Kit")
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wildcatter
The glaze that I am using is from Klasse. I am using it on top of the Klasse All-In-One polish. The glaze does provide a high level of protection and does deepen the shine and provide a more wet look. I have 3 coats on now and the results are phenominal.

Here is a link with some info. I am sure you can find a lot more with a Google:

http://www.autogeek.net/klasse.html

(I bought the "Klasse Supersize Kit")
What you are using isn't technically a glaze...it is an acrylic sealant.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What I've been experiment with is this: apply a good glaze, buff off, then apply sealant. I've done it a couple of times by hand with 3M imperial hand glaze, followed by NXT, and I was convinced I had a much better shine than NXT alone.

Today I used imperial hand glaze with a PC 7424 (white Wolfgang pad, on setting of 4.5 ) , buffed off with terry towel by hand. Then applied Wolfgang high gloss sealant by hand. The results really were excellent, on a black car.

I do understand that the purists believe that any glaze product will interfere with the sealant's adhesion to the paint surface, so some guys will tell you not to do this. However, I'm not sure there are as many oils in 3M hand glaze as some other products. I'm going to follow the progress of the car I did today (my wife's SUV, which stays outside). If it has good durability, I'll stay with this regimen because it really gave a fantastic glassy deep shine on day one.

If you're willing to experiment - try somthing like that yourself and see -- if the car looks dull in 1 week then your combination of glaze and sealant is no good. I don't mind the trial and error method.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I talked to an owner of a 65 corvette coupe and he uses "Race Glaze"

That is the name of the product and his car is real real shiny and nice. One of the best shines I have ever seen.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Thanks Jon, I am looking for that "show car, wet-looking" shine as you described in your first paragraph. And the Glaze fills small swirls, scratches, etc... That is EXACTLY what I want. What you said (highlighted), I have a question about that. Can I use a Wax, or Sealant such as Zaino to keep the Glaze longer.
As ZaneO suggests it difficult / almost impossible to prolong the 'useful ife' of a glaze. A wax will apply over a glaze but a polymer (Zaino) will have problems cross-linking due to the oils/wax present in a glaze.

As I suggested in the 'Menzerna' thread I use them to progressivley 'polish' the surface, then 'clean' the surface with IPA, then apply Zaino with Pinnicle as an LSP
JonM

Vette_Fan I have written an article on concors paint prep (using Menzerna polishes, Zanio and Pinnicle LSP) if of any interest I'll e-mail it (too long to post)

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-25-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:57 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bugman
What I've been experiment with is this: apply a good glaze, buff off, then apply sealant. I've done it a couple of times by hand with 3M imperial hand glaze, followed by NXT, and I was convinced I had a much better shine than NXT alone.

Today I used imperial hand glaze with a PC 7424 (white Wolfgang pad, on setting of 4.5 ) , buffed off with terry towel by hand. Then applied Wolfgang high gloss sealant by hand. The results really were excellent, on a black car.

I do understand that the purists believe that any glaze product will interfere with the sealant's adhesion to the paint surface, so some guys will tell you not to do this. However, I'm not sure there are as many oils in 3M hand glaze as some other products. I'm going to follow the progress of the car I did today (my wife's SUV, which stays outside). If it has good durability, I'll stay with this regimen because it really gave a fantastic glassy deep shine on day one.

If you're willing to experiment - try somthing like that yourself and see -- if the car looks dull in 1 week then your combination of glaze and sealant is no good. I don't mind the trial and error method.
NXT and Wolfgang are different than sealants like Zaino and Klasse. They are more forgiving being applied over other products.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I used some Meguiars 7 last night and really didn't see a difference versus the polishing I did. I then put a layer of Megs #16 over it and it looks pretty good. My advice: skip the glaze.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:09 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chicago
I used some Meguiars 7 last night and really didn't see a difference versus the polishing I did. I then put a layer of Megs #16 over it and it looks pretty good. My advice: skip the glaze.
Was this a light or dark colored car?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TOGWT
As ZaneO suggests it difficult / almost impossible to prolong the 'useful ife' of a glaze. A wax will apply over a glaze but a polymer (Zaino) will have problems cross-linking due to the oils/wax present in a glaze.

As I suggested in the 'Menzerna' thread I use them to progressivley 'polish' the surface, then 'clean' the surface with IPA, then apply Zaino with Pinnicle as an LSP
JonM

Vette_Fan I have written an article on concors paint prep (using Menzerna polishes, Zanio and Pinnicle LSP) if of any interest I'll e-mail it (too long to post)
Thanks guys, I appreciate ALL of you for your comments and info. Plz keep it coming cuz I'm still a student of this forum and learning ways to detail my Black Corvette. I'm looking forward to getting my PC74242, and pads from Lake Country, which I ordered last week. I'm just curious about the Glaze and its benefits. I WILL use the Menzerna IP/FP-II to remover as much swirls, but on Menzerna's website it says Glaze is for common man, and show cars alike - who want HIGH Gloss and want to fill minor swirls left behind from Polishing. SO, logically it makes sense.... But it won't last more than a few days, or will create problems with Sealants - that I didn't know.

TOGWT, thanks for the offer. Plz go ahead and email me the article. Any info I can get would increase my knowledge. I'm not so comfortable with the trial and error theory - not with my Vette.

Thanks again, to everyone.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
Was this a light or dark colored car?
Black. I did the polish/glaze last night under a flourescent light. It had good depth. Looked at it this morning and it still looked good, deep but not super reflective.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
wildcatter
Racer

Originally Posted by ZaneO
What you are using isn't technically a glaze...it is an acrylic sealant.
It's an acrylic sealant and glaze.

There are different sorts of glazes. Some have protective qualities and some do not. Some contain acrylic, some do not. The generic dictionary definition of a paint glaze is simply a coating put over paint to give it a glossy look. Some of these coatings aim simply for gloss while others aim for gloss and sealing protection.

Mequires #7, for example claims to have no protective quality.

Klasse Glaze (full name "Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze") is an acrylic glaze which claims to seal and remain glossy for up to a year.

Some other "sealant glazes":

Mothers California Sealer and Glaze

Amazing Glaze (fluoro-polymer sealant glaze)

Race Glaze Polish & Sealant (poly/acrylic)

Magic Seal Auto Glaze

etc.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chicago
Black. I did the polish/glaze last night under a flourescent light. It had good depth. Looked at it this morning and it still looked good, deep but not super reflective.
First to add to the thread. A lot of car show guys in the streetrods use a glazes for indoor shows since #7, 3M and others don't provide a lot of long term protection. Outdoor shows most of the street rod guys will use a wax and tried to park in the shade since shade enhances the look of a wax where the sun enhances the look of a sealant.

Quoted from - http://www.moderncarcare.com/Articles/331deta1.html
Glazes
This is an area where confusion reigns high. What is a glaze? Is it a wax or a polish? Again, there is no magic or special or proprietary formulation--just basic chemistry and a formulation to achieve desired results.
The term "glaze" actually refers to a body shop product used to remove buffer swirls. However, a glaze does not contain any silicones or waxes because new paint cannot be sealed for 60 days to allow solvent to evaporate. The common ingredients in a body shop glaze are: water, glycerin (usually in high amounts to produce a high shine), oil, solvent, abrasives (to remove swirls), surfactant, coloring and fragrance.
A detailer might use a glaze that contains silicones and/or waxes to make the products easier to work with and to provide more shine, but then it is really a polish, isn't it? Detail products called cleaner/glaze should contain a light abrasive, wax and silicone to give the detailer an inexpensive product to use on dealer cars. They are quick to use, but their main drawbacks are that they have no durability and should not be used on retail cars.
They should be used with a high-speed buffer, using a lamb's wool finishing pad or foam finishing pad. You can also use an orbital waxer, depending on the condition of the paint finish.

End of Quote ..
Chicago
I’m not a big fan of #7 since I had trouble removing in it. I have order “Red Moose Glaze" first talked about by ZaneO. You will not find more then a couple days or one good rain in durability from #7 but it will have a wet, warm and deep look but not nearly as shinny and reflective as a sealant. You will have to decided about the look you want. I'm going to try the combination of AIO – RMG – Souveran – Crystal Mist.

Get notified of new replies

To WHAT is GLAZE ???

Old 07-25-2005, 04:44 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wildcatter
It's an acrylic sealant and glaze.

There are different sorts of glazes. Some have protective qualities and some do not. Some contain acrylic, some do not. The generic dictionary definition of a paint glaze is simply a coating put over paint to give it a glossy look. Some of these coatings aim simply for gloss while others aim for gloss and sealing protection.

Mequires #7, for example claims to have no protective quality.

Klasse Glaze (full name "Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze") is an acrylic glaze which claims to seal and remain glossy for up to a year.

Some other "sealant glazes":

Mothers California Sealer and Glaze

Amazing Glaze (fluoro-polymer sealant glaze)

Race Glaze Polish & Sealant (poly/acrylic)

Magic Seal Auto Glaze

etc.
We'll just agree to disagree on this one.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
wildcatter
Racer

Well..... products do tend to change a little as technology gets better. I suppose that technically our Vettes are not really "cars" since Henry Ford's first one looked like this:

Old 07-25-2005, 06:02 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Just an FYI, Klasse products are quite old (25+ years) with the only known alterations being for VOC compliance issues.

Quick Reply: WHAT is GLAZE ???