Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

product review: Forever Black Permanent Plastic Dye

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:27 PM
XQIZT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default product review: Forever Black Permanent Plastic Dye

I bought this permanent dye for the black beltline molding around my ’85. Its supposed to be a reconditioner for faded black exterior parts. Its a 2 part system. First is a 4oz. concentrated cleaner that you mix with water and sponge on. Seems like just soap to me, but with some rubbing, all the excess wax and other product was removed from the beltline. The dye comes in a bottle with a shoe-dye styled tip. After a few presses into a paper towel, the product flows through the sponge. Once you get a feel for how hard to push and how often, a very nice even coat can be applied. I found that for an even application, it is best to use one long continuous motion to apply instead of short strokes. I plan on applying numerous coats to ensure permanency.
As a test, I applied the dye to 2 short pieces and placed on outside to endure several weeks of Florida rain storms and blazing July sunshine. I was impressed that it did not appear to have faded at all.
As a tip, I suggest removing whatever part you plan on dying otherwise you run the risk of having the dye drip on painted parts and it may not come off. Although removing the beltline from early C4’s isn’t a simple process, if you are doing other restoration work, it is worth the extra effort.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I use plastic magic from Zaino

Quick Reply: product review: Forever Black Permanent Plastic Dye