Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wash and Wax Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 PM
drdavidw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wash and Wax Advice

I'm a newbie here and I just bought my FIRST Corvette (LeMans Blue 2005 C6 Coupe) last week. After driving a Honda Accord previously, I immediately realized that I could no longer take my car to the automatic drive-thru car wash (for obvious reasons). So, I need advice on how best to keep my Vette looking slick and new!

What kind of products do you all use? Soaps, waxes, chamois, sponges, cloths, brushes, window cleaners, interior (dashboard/leather) cleaners, etc.?? Also, how often should I wash the car, and how often do I wax it? I was once told that if you wash and wax too often, you can damage the paint. But if you don't do it often enough, the car looks pretty terrible. Why aren't there specific guidelines about this. The local auto parts store has an entire wall devoted to washing and waxing. Yikes! How do I decide what to get? Is there anything unique about the fiberglass body or particular paint that's used which would cause me to need one type of product over another?

Please help me!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 AM
RandyMi
Drifting

Take it to a car wash!!! It's a car, not a new born infant. I live in Michigan, the thought of washing my car, on my driveway in zero degree weather doesnt turn me on! Go to Jax in Bham and buy a club plan.

Last edited by RandyMi; 08-24-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

First, welcome and congrats on the ride. Enjoy.
If you're like most of us, we tend to get a little obsessive about keeping the Vettes clean and looking good.
I wash mine about once a week with Mr. Clean wash soap, but using a soft lambswool wash mit. Then I'll dry with a clean chamois or soft terrycloth towels. I clean the bugs off the front end, mirrors, and windshield after every nite drive. I waited a few months for the first wax. Most people here use Zaino, but I prefered the ease of NXT Tech wax. Did a great job on mine.
Only use ammonnia free glass cleaner. I use Armor All brand auto glass cleaner. And be careful not to use abrasive cleaners on polished aluminum rims.
I keep my gaskets around the top clean and use silicone spray grease(sprayed onto a paper towel or rag) to keep the gaskets from drying out. Everyone has their own rituals to follow, but we all love our cars and take care of them.
Above all, enjoy the car.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 AM
drdavidw
Advanced

Originally Posted by RandyMi
Take it to a car wash!!! It's a car, not a new born infant. I live in Michigan, the thought of washing my car in zero degree weather doesnt turn me on!
First of all, the 2-3 inches of ground clearance (with that plastic thing hanging under the front of the car), combined with super wide tires and the Owner Manual advice to specifically AVOID drive-thru car washes, makes me a bit nervous. Maybe it's just because I've only had it a week and because I take things like owner's manuals seriously, but I think you'd have to be an idiot to drive a $50,000 brand new car through a car wash before you know if it will come out on the other side. That's like driving an 18-wheeler under a bridge with 6 feet of clearance.

Now, if you all tell me that your C6 Corvettes drive though all normal car washes without any problems at all, then I'd feel a bit better. But I'm certainly not going to take advice from one guy who may not even own a C6 for all I know.

Oh, and I live in MI too, and I have no intention on driving the Vette in the snow. It's a warm-weather car, and if you're actually trying to drive a rear-wheeled drive sports car with almost no ground clearance down a Michigan road covered with 6-8 inches of snow and salt, then I don't think I'll take car-care advice from you. Thanks anyways. I'll keep my second car for winter driving, while my Corvette hibernates comfortably in my warm garage, depreciating a hell of a lot slower than yours!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:21 AM
drdavidw
Advanced

Originally Posted by arcticblast
First, welcome and congrats on the ride. Enjoy.
If you're like most of us, we tend to get a little obsessive about keeping the Vettes clean and looking good.
I wash mine about once a week with Mr. Clean wash soap, but using a soft lambswool wash mit. Then I'll dry with a clean chamois or soft terrycloth towels. I clean the bugs off the front end, mirrors, and windshield after every nite drive. I waited a few months for the first wax. Most people here use Zaino, but I prefered the ease of NXT Tech wax. Did a great job on mine.
Only use ammonnia free glass cleaner. I use Armor All brand auto glass cleaner. And be careful not to use abrasive cleaners on polished aluminum rims.
I keep my gaskets around the top clean and use silicone spray grease(sprayed onto a paper towel or rag) to keep the gaskets from drying out. Everyone has their own rituals to follow, but we all love our cars and take care of them.
Above all, enjoy the car.
Thank you very much. You gave me much better and more useful advice than that other guy who told me to just take it to the car wash.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by drdavidw
I'm a newbie here and I just bought my FIRST Corvette (LeMans Blue 2005 C6 Coupe) last week. After driving a Honda Accord previously, I immediately realized that I could no longer take my car to the automatic drive-thru car wash (for obvious reasons). So, I need advice on how best to keep my Vette looking slick and new!

What kind of products do you all use? Soaps, waxes, chamois, sponges, cloths, brushes, window cleaners, interior (dashboard/leather) cleaners, etc.?? Also, how often should I wash the car, and how often do I wax it? I was once told that if you wash and wax too often, you can damage the paint. But if you don't do it often enough, the car looks pretty terrible. Why aren't there specific guidelines about this. The local auto parts store has an entire wall devoted to washing and waxing. Yikes! How do I decide what to get? Is there anything unique about the fiberglass body or particular paint that's used which would cause me to need one type of product over another?

Please help me!
OK newbee, here it is, and take notes:

All new cars have NO WAX ON THEM. To be safe, wait about 45 days then put 2 coats of MeGuiars No. 7 Polish on your car. I usually wait overnite after the Polish is applied. Then the next day, I would put 2 coats of Meguiars NXT Tech Wax. Thats just to start off on the right foot, so to speak.
Then, Polish the car every 2 months; the polish and wax the car one coat of each every 4 months. This type of schedule can vary depending on useage of the car and if its parked outside or in a garage. Oh, and assuming you bought the car with little miles on it, you shouldn't have to clay bar a new car with new paint and no mileage on it.
Wash it with Meguiars Gold Class car wash shampoo & conditioner; and use either a natural sponge(1st choice) or a regular sponge; but always use a separate sponge for the wheels(separate towels for the car and separate towels for the wheels).
That should get you going, Good Luck.
Oh, the website for Maguiar's is: meguiars.com or 800-347-5700.

Last edited by purple heart; 08-24-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is the LMB. I am very use to blue metallics, thats all I ever buy.
If you like that depth of color heres how I get it.
Wash with Turtle wax Car wash- the best. Only use microfiber towels to dry, Wax with Zymol. Add Wolf Gangs Deep gloss Clear coat Sealant from autogeek.net after you wax. Enjoy & make your Neighbors think your Obessed. I am. Yellow Bird uses Zaino.
The result of my technique?????? Perfection

Last edited by Guitarstar; 08-24-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the NXT!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I washed and waxed my car the first hour that I got it.

Wash
Clay
wash
polish
glaze
wax
(see car care section for real advice)

Last edited by jabez; 08-24-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 AM
drdavidw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
Mine is the LMB. I am very use to blue metallics, thats all I ever buy.
If you like that depth of color heres how I get it.
Wash with Turtle wax Car wash- the best. Only use microfiber towels to dry, Wax with Zymol. Add Wolf Gangs Deep gloss Clear coat Sealant from autogeek.net after you wax. Enjoy & make your Neighbors think your Obessed. I am. Yellow Bird uses Zaino.
The result of my technique?????? Perfection
Wow! Now, your LMB Vette looks PERFECT! That's exactly the effect I'm looking for. I think I'll try your advice first. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:39 AM
RandyMi
Drifting

I also have a winter car it's called an Escalade ESV and it also goes to Jax along with my three previous vettes and my SL500. I will be picking up my 06 vert as soon as my dealer informs me when I may order, based on his allocations. His thought is a Nov or Dec delivery.

Last edited by RandyMi; 08-24-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Low12s
I really like the NXT!
I went out & bought NXT Spray wax & NXT Quick Detailer spray. I was not impressed at all with the spray wax,
Believe me I wanted to be since I heard so much good stuff about it.
It just did not work for me. The quick detailer I use to spray off Bugs on Her cute nose.

Last edited by Guitarstar; 08-24-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:49 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
I went out & bought NXT Spray wax & NXT Quick Detailer spray. The I was not impressed at all with the spray wax,
Believe me I wanted to be since I heard so much good stuff about it.
It just did not work for me. The quick detailer I use to spray off Bugs on Her cute nose.
You should have purchase the NXT Tech wax instead of the NXT Spray wax. The good things you heard about NXT pertains to the Tech Wax.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
C6Harley
Drifting

I bought the NXT paste wax today and was VERY happy with it. I did my VR vette and my black suburban. Applied very easily and wiped off clean. Had a very nice shine to it!!

Best advice I can give you:

1. buy a mr clean auto dry, they are great and only 18 dollars and some change at wal mart. You can also get a sheepskin wash mitt while you are there.

2. Choose a good wax. Some people use Zaino, some people use NXT (which I really like now), there are lots of waxes out there, just make sure to use a name brand and not some off the shelf junk.

3. Have a clay bar and lubricant (I use der clay) on hand. You dont need clay often, but I find it very nice for things that get stuck and blemishes on the front clip and the rear end.

4. Get a california duster. Give the car a quick once over every day (takes about 1 minute) and this will keep it clean.

5. Get some Quick Detail. I use Meguires and some micro fiber towels. If you get a bug or a spot or a handprint on the car, it is a simple spray and wipe.

6. Keep a few microfiber towels on hand as well. Dont use a washcloth or a rag or a peper towel on your finish, it will scratch.

I know this sounds like a lot, but if you use the cali duster and the quick detail every time you go out (we are seriously talking a couple of minutes a day topps) you wont have to wash the car very often at all and it will always be beautiful.

To the person who says to use the car wash.... Obviouslt you didnt watch your ownership DVD or you dont really own a corvette. Car washes destroy the finish on these cars all the time. They also can mess up your wheels on the tracks because they are so wide.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Jabez quote: You should have purchase the NXT Tech wax instead of the NXT Spray wax. The good things you heard about NXT pertains to the Tech Wax.

I knew something had to be wrong
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 AM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have to speak up for Zaino here. I have used it for years and find it to be the best finish out there. You have to purchase it over the internet and they have everything you need.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

When I picked up my new Vette 6 weeks ago I had many of the same questions. I was especially concerned about coming up with a washing / drying technique that wouldn't result in zillions of the tiny "spiderweb" scratches that just about every car on the road seems to have. In the past (on previous cars, one dark green and another dark blue) I'd tried just about everything imaginable including 100% cotton towels (with edges cut off), mitts, you name it. I tried the California Water Blade, a chamois, and 100% cotton towels for drying. No matter what, I got the spiderwebs. I could get rid of them by using 3M Cleaner Wax after washing, but all I was really doing was filling them in; as a result, they came back with every subsequent wash. Since I hate the spiderwebs, I ended up waxing the entire car after each wash. I ended up spending more time trying to keep the cars looking good than I did just enjoying them. This was such a huge problem for me that before my C6 was built in June I changed my ordered color from Le Mans Blue to Machine Silver since at least the spiderwebs wouldn't be as easy to see in the silver paint.

After I had my silver Corvette for a couple of weeks it was time for the dreaded first wash. I dreaded it because I didn't want to put the first spiderweb scratches in my perfect finish. Before proceeding, I decided to try something different - a microfiber cloth. I used it in conjunction with the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry System. Here's what I did:
  1. Using regular warm water with a little liquid soap in a bucket and a plain terrycloth towel, wash the wheels and tires. Rinse with the hose.
  2. With plain water out of the hose, thoroughly rinse the entire car's painted areas, rinsing off as much dust and dirt as possible before beginning the actual wash process.
  3. Using the Mr. Clean Auto Dry System and a clean microfiber cloth, wash and rinse the car a section at a time. After each section, rinse the microfiber cloth in a bucket of clean water.
  4. Per the Mr. Clean instructions, spray the entire car with ionized water.
  5. Pull the car into the garage (out of sunlight) and let it air dry.
The results? PERFECT! Absolutely no spiderweb scratches. The only thing that comes in contact with the finish is the microfiber cloth during washing. Using the Mr. Clean system, the car air dries with zero waterspotting. I've washed my car 3 times now with the same results. (Makes me wish I'd have stayed with Le Mans Blue!) I've put a couple of coats of wax on, but not because of spiderwebs.

Bottom line: Try Mr. Clean and microfiber. Let it air dry. Wax to taste. I think you'll be pleased.

Get notified of new replies

To Wash and Wax Advice

Old 08-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Big Jimm
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

There are MANY guys who LOVE to spend HOURS & HOURS waxing their cars! That’s wonderful and fulfilling, I’m sure! God bless them and all their little children.

Personally, I would wash and wax a car when hell freezes over. Driving a vette and washing one are two different things.

I will be taking my vette to the "regular" car wash places who do "regular" waxing .. and, if the paint falls off because of this, so be it. But, when I get hot and sweaty, it won’t be from waxing!

Ah, yes. I can hear the responses now. And, most will have to do with the horse I rode in on. Others will simply have to control their projectile vomiting.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 08-24-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

We are a forum sponsor and offer 10% off even our sale prices (buffers and vacs excluded) . Come by and see our site for some of the best detailing products offered. Just remember to use the couponcode listed below for your discount.
www.autogeek.net

Here are a couple of the best, most offered in complete kits also:

Carnubas --- Pinnacle, P21S, DP's Max Wax
Sealants --- Four Star UPP, Klasse, DP's Shield Shine, Wolfgang

Come over to the car care section for hints, its under forums above and then under general section. Enjoy the new ride, and stay away from the automated car washes.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
There are MANY guys who LOVE to spend HOURS & HOURS waxing their cars! That’s wonderful and fulfilling, I’m sure! God bless them and all their little children.

Personally, I would wash and wax a car when hell freezes over. Driving a vette and washing one are two different things.

I will be taking my vette to the regular car wash places who do regular waxing .. and, if the paint falls off because of this, so be it. But, when I get hot and sweaty, it won’t be from waxing!

Ah, yes. I can hear the responses now. And, most will have to do with the horse I rode in on. Others will simply have to control their projectile vomiting.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

to each his own man!

personally, i wash my LMB coupe every week. i will wax it every 3 months (only owned it long enough for one waxing so far). when i wash, i use Meguiars Gold Class...SILLY SOAP!!!!! wash the body with microfiber towels. wash the wheels with same soap and water. dry with microfiber. quick detail it it spotted at all. drive away with silly LMB C6. when i wax, i hand wax using mother's and do one coat followed by one more 24 hours later. keeps it slick and shiny. i also use a swiffer duster and spray detailer to touch her up between washes. i have used the same routine on all of my cars now, and its kinda a PITA, but its soooo worth it, particularly on the LMBs. they respond well to frequent cleansings!

edit: a waxing tip. keep some Q-Tips handy when you wax. they are great for removing wax that sometimes sneaks into the gaps in the body panels.

Last edited by Mayonayze; 08-24-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Wash and Wax Advice