Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino vs Rejex, my .02

Old 11-02-2005, 09:57 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Default Zaino vs Rejex, my .02

Ok, so here it is, just so I can have a clean mailbox once again and to keep me from having to type the same replys over and over.

First let me say, this is just my personal opinion. I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with either of these companies. I have used both products. I have used both products side by side. I have used both products on both light and dark cars.

Second, I am not a pro, just a weekend warrior, who likes to detail cars and go to shows.

Third, all cars used in my personal comparison of these two products were preped the exact same way, stripped, clay'd and washed.

So here it is, one guys opinion.

Dark metalic blue. (LMB) garaged car. Z2pro w/zfx and rejex

Zaino applied to one side and rejex to the other.

Both Zaino and Rejex go on and off very easy. Zaino takes less product to do a car than Rejex. I used ZFX which takes about 5 seconds to add to the bottle. Both products state shake well, so all things equal, it take about 5 seconds longer to prepare the Zaino, which was cool because I could get in an extra sip of beer.

Both Zaino and Rejex come off clean with very little or no residue.
Zaino will not stain your trim. Rejex will if not wiped off right away.
Zaino comes straight off the car and needs very little or no further attension when it is buffed off. Rejex comes off easy and clean, but needs more attension when buffing or wiping down the car after removal. There seems to be a light film on the car. It can be seen when the car is moved to direct sunlight. It produces a slightly wavy look. The rejex needs to be further buffed or wiped down to eliminate the wavy look. The Zaino w/zfx cures in a matter of minutes and comes off the car as if it is fully cured. ( left both on for 30 mins) Rejex appears fully cured after 30 mins also, but when removed, although easy, feels and seems like it is not fully cured, hence the additional attension needed to rub out the wave effect. The next day, the rejex seemed more fully cured, and required another wipe down.

Once on the car, both feel extreemly slick or slippery. Both bead extreemly well in the days following application. Several days later
they both hold a bead extreemly well, but the rejex there is starting to have some integrity loss on the fine edge of the bead. Zaino shows no such loss until the 2 week mark. At the one month mark both are still beading extreemly well, but there is a visible difference in the integrity of the beads. The Zaino still holds a bead across the entire section, where as the rejex is starting to show some water sheeting.
There is now a difference in the feel or touch of the product as well. The Zaino still feels slick to the touch, but the rejex side is less slick. This can really be felt when soap suds are on the car and the surface is lubricated. There is a more pronounced drag from the rejex side. The rejex seems to have picked up and attached itself to more road debris and fine particals than the Zaino.

How do they look...

As previously stated, the rejex has a slight wave to it. The Zaino is more akin to very clear glass. I will say that this is a personal preference. Some people like the light reflective nature of a slight wave, and some people like the purity of crystal clear optics. Personally I like it as pure as I can get it. Further, I have never seen a car win at a show without the depth and purity of a crystal clear look... There is no question that the Zaino gives a deeper more pure look than the rejex. I would say it is more like a good carnuba, but not as warm. For metalic paint there is no question that the Zaino, with it's pure optics makes the metalics in the paint stand out noticeably more. The "wave" issue with rejex shows up here as well, as the way it reflects light tends to hide the metalic qualities of the paint somewhat. There is considerably less POP to the paint with the rejex.

At the two and three month mark the gap widens between the two. The rejex goes considerably flatter than the Zaino and the depth from the rejex is amost gone. Rejex amost exclusivly sheets water, and the Zaino is holding a bead, all though they are larger and have less of a defined edge to them.

The last thing I like about the Zaino line is that there are products that can even enhance the shine and look of the paint further, such as Z5 for filling minor imperfections, Z6 to enhance the gloss between coats and as a touch up, and Z8 which I now use almost exclusivly. When added together, there is simply no comparison between the two products...

Just my 02, with no chemistry lessions included...

Peace
Willfulone

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 03-04-2006 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thrash (11-05-2023)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your time, experimenting, and write-up
Old 11-02-2005, 10:15 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice writeup. I'd ask for pics, but I'm sure they couldn't do this comparison justice. Your descriptions were exceptional.

Now, let's do a beer taste-testing.....
Old 11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Gray Ghost
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting. I'm a long-term Zaino user and it's nice to see the comparison.

The Gray Ghost
Old 11-03-2005, 08:32 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the review. I love the Zaino and have used Rejex only on the nose, wheels, mirrors and rear end. Both shine great but I still like the Zaino better. I don't believe the Rejex really repels dust.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Nothing "repels" dust, just boils down to how much dust sticks to the surface. Generally all the dust on my car comes off when I drive it.

Willfulone, that was some great detail in your analysis.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Excellent write up. I pretty much got the same results that you did. I also did not see any difference in the amount of dust on the back of my car compared to other products with Rejex, I actually saw more brake dust sticking to the Rejex'd wheel than the other.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Willfulone

Both products state shake well, so all things equal, it take about 5 seconds longer to prepare the Zaino, which was cool because I could get in an extra sip of beer.

Great write up, well done.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Gofasterdad
Racer

Thanks Chip
I ordered Rejex yesterday and will try it myself also. I’ll get back with you on my results.
Adios
Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

OK...Where are the Rejex guys now?

Rejex
Old 11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Sprongs
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The RejeX guys are just sitting back and having a good laugh about how worried the Zanio crew is about a new product that is an equal to or as some say better then Zanio.
My .02
Old 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprongs
The RejeX guys are just sitting back and having a good laugh about how worried the Zanio crew is about a new product that is an equal to or as some say better then Zanio.
My .02
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My .02

Yeah right!
In the past 6+ years I've seen product after product come and go.

BTW
I'm not worried.
Zaino will always be available.
As it will be compared to with evry future flavor of the month.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

The only thing I would be worrying about is if I used Rejex as often as I used Zaino is if I would not have any painted pinstriping left on my car since I see ALOT of red paint on my applicator every time I went over it. With Zaino. Souveran and alot of other products I use I saw no paint or pigment on my applicator. I also have to wonder how well it is layering.

Here is my painted stripe.

Here is my applicator after using a strong cleaner wax with abrasives.

Here is my applicator after using Rejex.

I am not saying this is bad but I do not like to use something that harsh on my paint if I do not need to. If you like a strong product Rejex may be perfect for you.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
JR_C6
Instructor

I have been using Souveran and Zaino for a couple of years. Souveran in the spring and summer, Zaino in the fall and winter. I like them both.

I recently tried Rejex and agree with everything said above except for the waviness of Rejex - that is not my experience. I found the look to be very similar to Zaino, especially when Z8 is applied to the Rejex.

IME, all three are excellent products with Souveran looking best because of the added depth on my LMB that neither Zaino or Rejex achieves. Of course, Souveran cannot match the durability of the other two, but that's okay in the warmer months as I enjoy putting a coat of wax on the car.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by JR_C6
I have been using Souveran and Zaino for a couple of years. Souveran in the spring and summer, Zaino in the fall and winter. I like them both.

I recently tried Rejex and agree with everything said above except for the waviness of Rejex - that is not my experience. I found the look to be very similar to Zaino, especially when Z8 is applied to the Rejex.

IME, all three are excellent products with Souveran looking best because of the added depth on my LMB that neither Zaino or Rejex achieves. Of course, Souveran cannot match the durability of the other two, but that's okay in the warmer months as I enjoy putting a coat of wax on the car.
Are you using the latest version of Zaino, Z2Pro?

You need to throw a coat of Z8 on top of Z2p and I think you will find that it is just as deep and wet looking as anything out there, atleast that was my experience on Black.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

My .02
Why? It's all about what "you" like. Me I like Zaino. I have a MY Coupe which is not suppose to be the optimum color to show off Zaino's properties but I have been asked quite a few times what I use to shine my car. Nothing else I have used leaves my car feeling and looking as clean and slick. Oh and it smells good too. That's one complaint I have about the new Z8 it doesn't smell as good as some of the other Zaino products. Whasupwidat?

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino vs Rejex, my .02

Old 11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by VLVETTE
Why? It's all about what "you" like. Me I like Zaino. I have a MY Coupe which is not suppose to be the optimum color to show off Zaino's properties but I have been asked quite a few times what I use to shine my car. Nothing else I have used leaves my car feeling and looking as clean and slick. Oh and it smells good too. That's one complaint I have about the new Z8 it doesn't smell as good as some of the other Zaino products. Whasupwidat?

I agree! The Z8 smells like hairspray. Works great though.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Kevin V
Pro

My .02
Yeah, right!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Z8 smells like apricots to me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zaino vs Rejex, my .02