Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

HOW TO DEMAGNETIZE CAR.need input!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:36 PM
bigsipper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO DEMAGNETIZE CAR.need input!

Question #1 guys, aside from using your beloved "Zaino", or "Rejex" , what else do you do to keep dust from sticking away to the paint? Its a dust magnet especially even inside my closed garage !!!

2# how many times do you wash it per week ?
Whats the recommended times?
I usually wash mine after 3-4 days use driing 64 miles per day. I never use a duster on mine(afraid the dust will produce microscopic scratch). Its always car shampoo and water.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:40 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsipper
Question #1 guys, aside from using your beloved "Zaino", or "Rejex" , what else do you do to keep dust from sticking away to the paint? Its a dust magnet especially even inside my closed garage !!!

2# how many times do you wash it per week ?
Whats the recommended times?
I usually wash mine after 3-4 days use driing 64 miles per day. I never use a duster on mine(afraid the dust will produce microscopic scratch). Its always car shampoo and water.
Be careful not to overpolish or wash your car as you will still create more swirls. This is unavoidable.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

I have the same dust collection in my garage, though I usually use an indoor cover. I wash every few days (black car) spraying dust off without washing (just water) then drying with one of those microfiber towels. I use Meguiar's nxt Tech Wax which I find super forgiving of swirl marks etc. Car finish always looks near perfect when I remove the dried wax using another microfiber towel.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Use California Duster then car cover.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default washing

I wash my mag red twice a week or as needed with a high pressure (water only) spray at a do it yourself car wash. Then, wipe dry with a soft cotton towel and immediately put on a coat of Zaino clear spray. Whole process takes 10 minutes. I use a california duster evry other day or as need and there is never a scratch or swirl left. Just don't do it in the sun as the wax in the duster will streak
Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM
bigsipper
Instructor

LS WON , I agree with you. I have an 8 day old 06 C6 LMB, and the more I polish it with the microfiber, the more I notice under flourescent light that I have swirl mark. Aint the microfiber cloth supposed to avoid this? Just a sigh!!! and frustration. It's my first Vette at 33.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:04 PM
bigsipper
Instructor

Who has a swirless, or scratchless VETTE !!! or a dentless VETTE ????
Old 12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

LS WON , I agree with you. I have an 8 day old 06 C6 LMB, and the more I polish it with the microfiber, the more I notice under flourescent light that I have swirl mark. Aint the microfiber cloth supposed to avoid this? Just a sigh!!! and frustration. It's my first Vette at 33.
I know whatcha mean you buy a brand new Corvette and no matter what you do or don't do you will see swirls or small scratches if you have a black car good luck...White or silver shows the least.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
...White or silver shows the least.
I use the duster every day and wash it when it looks dirty, usually every couple weeks. I think I could take sandpaper to it and not see any swirls... Silver is better for not showing dirt but white is right up next to it.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I used to detail a car for 8 hours or longer and enjoy it when I was younger...now its just another maintenance item to do because now I have to take care of my own body.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dust attraction may have a lot to do with your towels. Static charged towels = static charged paint

What kind of towels are you using, and how are you caring for them?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by LS WON
Use California Duster then car cover.

Yep,
Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/oxo580.html (Duster)

or

http://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html (Quick Detailers)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Slick Stuff HD continues The Wax Shop's proud heritage of products that use our Hi-Def Gloss Formula with effortless application. Slick Stuff HD is suited for all types of painted surfaces as well as chrome, aluminum, fiberglass, factory-applied tinted windows and all clear plastic surfaces. 16 oz. spray bottle.

The Wax Shop Slick Stuff HD Spray Detailer Features

Leaves a slick and smooth Hi-Def Gloss finish
Feeds special nutrients and conditioners into paint
Helps extend shine and paint finish
Anti-static formula repels dust
Safely removes dirt, grease, oil and light water spots
Safe for use in body shops
Will finish 8-10 vehicle detail applications

Click
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You could try grounding it when you polish it.

I would also watch your towels and use a good QD.

I would also be very careful dusting it with a california duster if it has been driven, that dust that comes off the road can be very abrasive.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I washed my car and drove it for a couple of days and it was filthy with dirt on the back.(It had zaino on it)

I washed my car again, used Pinnacle swirl remover with a PC, then applied Glare with the PC. I have been driving it for a couple of days now with much much less dirt accumulation on the back.

There could be 2 reasons for this.
1) I did not zaino again after the first wash therefore it wasn't at it's full slickness potential
2) Glare has less of a static charge than zaino. Although, even after a couple of days, I would assume any static charge to dissappear.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by VIPERxGTx2000
I washed my car and drove it for a couple of days and it was filthy with dirt on the back.(It had zaino on it)

I washed my car again, used Pinnacle swirl remover with a PC, then applied Glare with the PC. I have been driving it for a couple of days now with much much less dirt accumulation on the back.

There could be 2 reasons for this.
1) I did not zaino again after the first wash therefore it wasn't at it's full slickness potential
2) Glare has less of a static charge than zaino. Although, even after a couple of days, I would assume any static charge to dissappear.
I have actually done testing with different products on the back of my car to see if one repelled more dust than another (One of the products I was testing actually claims to attract less dust) and found NO difference in ANY of the products as far as collecting dust. I did see other differences but that is a story for a different day.

I also think that the dust on a back of your vette has nothing to do with static, this is a low pressure area and it is just the way the air exits the back of the car and deposits the dust on the bumper. The C5 seems to be one of the worst offenders in this area.

So I am going to have to on any product making a noticable difference. It could have been more a product of what roads you drove on, did it rain recently and wash alot of the fine dust off the road, was it fall with alot of the leaves ground up etc... JMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO DEMAGNETIZE CAR.need input!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

bigsipper.......i do
Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Who has a swirless, or scratchless VETTE !!! or a dentless VETTE ????
I like to think I do too BigCypress. Or as close to humany possible.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

the more I polish it with the microfiber, the more I notice under flourescent light that I have swirl mark. Aint the microfiber cloth supposed to avoid this?

I thought the same thing and then found out a lot of the cheaper microfiber towels were actually causing my scratches. Now it's only 100 percent cotton towels for my car.

Quick Reply: HOW TO DEMAGNETIZE CAR.need input!