Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ive been out of the game for a while whats the best buffer these days..

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Ive been out of the game for a while whats the best buffer these days..

Ok I have been deployed alot in the past few years spent 3 years in japan before this war broke out well im finally to the stage where I can paint again, While painting is something I can do..

I need some advice from you fellas who have been usuing this stuff lately.

Im looking for a good buffer that I can use for buffing after painting and wet sanding I was thinking the dewalt 849

But if I get it what is the best pads and product to use on new paint??

Ive been told to stay away from the 3m stuff

I also have my toys that have been abused these past couple of years my black ZR1 has some deep old water spots from its previous owner and alot of scratches since I drive it everyday...

Im thinking a PC for these jobs but I dont want to buy 2 buffers....

also with the PC whats the best pads? wolfgang?

and products for scratches Im thinking seriously my DD is so bad I might just wet sand the entire car and buff it out to bring it back to life

thanks

johnny
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Meguiars and Lake Country make the best pads. I also like the 3m waffle pads for my rotary.

The best PC is a Porter Cable 7336sp and my rotary is a Makita 9227. You really need both, a rotary for removing wet sanding marks and the PC is nice for the minor stuff and removing the holograms the rotary leaves if you are not careful.

Some great swirl removers are Zaino Fusion (ZPC), it works great by hand PC and with a rotary or Menzerna. I also like Chemical Guys polishes. For OTC polishes I also like 3m 39009 and 39002.

Last edited by agentf1; 01-03-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

I use 3m stuff and never any problems, questions or doubts. The only downfall is the price, but for what I do it is money well spent. Any buffing, polish and waxing product is always up for debate.

Here is my Dewalt. I will have to run out in the garage to get the number if you need it. It has adjustable speed and is heavy. I use this for paint that has never seen wax and I use it on all color sanded paint jobs. Downfall! It will burn paint real fast.

This machine is the icing on the cake. Light and very easy to use. This will pay for itself the first time used. Unbelievable finish when all done.

These are the pads I use. White one is aggressive and use it with rubbing compounds and the greay one is used for polish and wax applications.

This stuff works for me. I would suggest looking at a few CF vendors product and hang out in this area. There are a few members that will post a few pics. Amazing is all I can say. Have fun.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
bretfraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DeWalt DW849 is a descendant of the great Black and Decker 6138. The 849 has become the de facto workhorse of the detailing business/hobby.

The Makita is an excellent machine, maybe a little easier to use with its bailing handle.

The Porter Cable 7428 has a nice feel but its not as powerful as the DW849 (I have both and rarely use the PC machine anymore).

Milwaukee make a heavy duty machine, stress on the "heavy". Long time Milwaukee fans will love it but the above machines are more comfy and prolly easier to use.

Metabo make an excellent polisher. It's main strength is its light weight as compared to the above machines. If I were detailing a lot of cars, I'd prolly spring for a Metabo just to make my life a little easier.

A D/A polisher is almost a must-have if you're gonna do a lot of work. The only real serious choice is the Porter Cable 7424 and its variant (7335, 7336, 7336SP). There are other D/A polisher/sanders out there but for car enthusiasts, the 7424 is the one and only.

As for pads, Lake Country Mfg has really taken the lead in foam pad technology and development. Many retailers resell LC pads under their own name. Meguiars pads are nice and they only offer 3 types of foam pads so the line is simple. 3M, Edge, Schlegel, etc all make good competitive products and are worth considering especially if you can get them locally.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

the war didn't "break out". i don't know what they told you in japan but mr. bush started it .
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcypress
the war didn't "break out". i don't know what they told you in japan but mr. bush started it .

thanks for jumpin gin my thread without anything to help it theres a politics area for ****** like you
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

In random orbitals, the PC 7424 and 7336 (same machine, different counterweights included only) are the most popular choice. The cyclo would be considered the extremist choice, but nowhere near as popular based on pricing. A Flexible backing plate is a welcome addition on these machines.

As for rotaries, the Makita and Dewalt are old favs. The Mateabo and Hitachi have made a name for themselves recently with bulletproof warranties (long term protection) and lighter units. A little more of a professional choice, these units correct minor damage quickly, but could be damaging in inexperienced hands.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

Welcome back home.

There has been a few suggestions here. Have you decided which one you might be getting? I more or less have the machines that work good for me, but after the suggestions above I might have to add another to my shelf.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
gringoray
Racer

Johnny... hit up Lowes and buy the PC 7336. More/less $90.00.

Laterz!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Quit reading the liberal media. The terriorists started everything. We reacted. Our military is the BEST there is. They protect us and allow people like you to say false statements. THANKS TO OUR MILITARY
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Expat_Guy
Advanced

What a *ickhead...

Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Ive been out of the game for a while whats the best buffer these days..

Quick Reply: Ive been out of the game for a while whats the best buffer these days..