Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hard Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 04:23 PM
sctrahan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Water spots

Does anyone know of a good safe cleaner for getting hard water spots off of fiberglass? The rear of my 92 which is metallic aqua has these spots i am guessing from rain, I have only had it 2 months, and I just can't seem to get rid of them
Thanks
Cheri
Old 03-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually a good polish is required. If induced by acid rain they may be fairly permanent. Where I live, putting tap water on your car is the rough equivalent of tossing a bucket of rusty bolts and rocks onto it, so one must be extra careful to get the car toweled off quickly after rinsing in the shade...
Old 03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay Bar gets off some pretty stubborn things.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I have removed water spots on my car with Z-6 or Z-8 and if that didn't work I used Z-5 but mine not be as bad as yours. Otherwise I would claybar it.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:59 PM
pmoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water spots

Originally Posted by sctrahan
Does anyone know of a good safe cleaner for getting hard water spots off of fiberglass? The rear of my 92 which is metallic aqua has these spots i am guessing from rain, I have only had it 2 months, and I just can't seem to get rid of them
Thanks
Cheri
Cheri - I feel your pain. I bought a 90 coupe 4 months ago in beautiful condition and low mileage. It's got the original factory paint and was originally sold new in Wheeling, Illinois (Tom Todd Chevrolet and Geo). So given the weather and acid rain up there, its got terrible acid rain spots. Now I've never seen a paint problem that I couldn't fix until now. I've tried claying, followed by going over it twice with swirl remover, followed by Medallion paint cleaner, P21S polish, basically everything in my bag of tricks except polishing compound and rubbing compound. I haven't used the compounds because I want to preserve the clearcoat as much as possible, and compound is out of the question. Normally I'd go after water/acid rain spots agressively, but this time I had to stand back and remind myself that this is a 16 year old paint job, and that I just need to find a way to live with the spots.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sctrahan
Thanks
Cheri
[[[[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well your on your way to learning the techniques, just follow the threads of advice here and you will have the results you want in no time.

Things Needed or recomended:

PC7424 machine, also some have said PC7336

Pad kit (autogeeks, forum vendor sells packages), and others also.Also Pad cleaning solution of your choice.

Swirl removing compound, (Zaino makes PC Fusion, Menzerna makes IP, and there are others that people use,(3M products), I prefer what has worked for me, Zaino and Mezerna(and thats only my opinion).

Final sealant/polish, I again prefer Zaino products, if you go with Zaino, you'll need Z5,Z2Pro,ZFX(which is added to the Z5, or Z2),Z6 &Z8, or just Z8 depending how wealthy you are lol,( and the proper applicator pads,zaino sells them also).There are other Brands that others prefer also.

Good quality 100% made in the USA White Cotton Towels, or Towels from a detailing Vendor of your choice.

Patience

Good Luck
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Get the 7424 PC with the Foam gun from autogeek wonder what kind of a deal you can get on that purchase?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

please go to my web site and click on "scrtch/spots" and you'll see some very good results I got by hand, using 3m product number 39002 with a terry cloth towel.

I know the regular guys here are sick of these pics, but here goes:

BEFORE

AFTER

Nothing to sell on my web page, just where I like to show my pics
Don't have to live with those spots at all -- believe me, I've treated this hood with 39002, Menzerna intensive polish, and 39009, Menzerna Final polish II, and Zaino PC fusion, even Meguiars scratch X --- about 10 times so far. I'm not even close to going through the clear coat. you have nothing to worry about - especially EITHER doing it by hand or PC7424. by either method, you'll never go through that clearcoat. get out there and get rid of those spots, man !!

The only way you'll burn your paint or go through it, would be to use a rotary machine - leave those to the professionals.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Water spots

Quick Reply: Hard Water spots