Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Clay Bar Question

Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Rich_71Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar Question

I got my first Vette, a 1971 bib block coupe, in November and am getting ready to detail for the first time next week. I got my Porter Cable and Menzerna based on recommendations from the list. I plan to use Megs 26 since I already have it and the previous owner of the car liked it. I am going to try the Turtle Wax Ice on the chrome. I will also try the Ice over the unfinished aluminum wheels after polishing them with either Mother's PowerMetal cleaner or Mother's Mag Polish. I might try the Power Ball on the wheels since it seems some have had luck with it.

I am not sure what clay to use. I saw the local Pep Boys has Mother's and Megs clay kits. They are both priced about the same and the Megs has a MF towel and a bit more clay. Is there any difference in these or any other clays?

I searched the forum and did not come across any comments regarding brands of clay.

Last edited by Rich_71Vette; 04-06-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Most clays are considered to be very similar. Some hobby clay is sold is coarser versions and might not be the best choice. Look for a good kit with clay, and lubrication. We recently reduce Pinnacles Clay by more than 20.00. It comes with several smaller pieces self sealed. The real benefit is if you drop it, you dont need to toss the entire bar.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been very happy with Mothers. I would suggest dividing it into about 3 pieces in case you drop the one your working with. Be sure to use plenty of lubricant and have fun; you won't believe the results.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:09 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most clays are considered to be very similar. Some hobby clay is sold is coarser versions and might not be the best choice. Look for a good kit with clay, and lubrication. We recently reduce Pinnacles Clay by more than 20.00. It comes with several smaller pieces self sealed. The real benefit is if you drop it, you dont need to toss the entire bar.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
That Pinnacle PolyClay PLUS Kit is a good deal!

Get notified of new replies

To Clay Bar Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay Bar Question