Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Mud flats or cleartastic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
bandman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud flats or cleartastic?

What do you all out there think is the best protection - mud flaps Ive seen on the forum or cleartastic - I have cleartastic on right now and it looks ok - think the mud flaps would look better. My car is a black C6. If you recommend mud flaps, which one ( i want to use a forum vendor)? Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 PM
swin1
Intermediate

I once had the cleartastic and found that it just would not stay on long term after multiple washes. I gave up after about 6 months. While I preferred the look of cleatastic, I ended up going with mud flaps. They certainly have worked well, going on 3 years now and still no road rash problems behind the wheels. The problem now is if I want to remove them (and at times I do) I have holes in the wheel wells that will not look so good. So....if you want a more permanent solution, mud flaps otherwise the work to keep the cleartastic effective serves the purpose.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:53 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you've already decided to go with the flaps.
personally I LOVE cleartastic. Don't know what Vette you're driving - but Cleartastic came out with a totally new C6 kit in February - and it is a HUGE improvement over the kit that I had bought in 2005. So if interested at all, look into this - there are no longer ANY overlaps at all - the number of pieces has been reduced, and application much simpler. Because there are no overlaps now, I've also got much better adhesion.

My new kit has been on about 3 months now - at the front wheel well, had about an inch of lift off I noticed last week, so I had to wash that 1 inch area of the plastic, spray, and reapply. That's the only maintenance I've needed for my Cleartastic kit so far. I like not drilling holes, and not having adhesive on the car.

some pics for you at http://c6.81x.com
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Blueracer
Racer

If you considering for a C6, then check C6dreams splash guards. Bugman's advice is always worth reading and I am sure the cleartastic is a great product.

As for the splash guards from Ed aka "Pipedreams" I can speak from experience that the products install in 10 minutes, use the factory fasteners already in the front and clips in the back that he provides. All for $48 plus $5 shipping. Biggest danger to going to C6dreams.com is that you by a couple other items. Oh, they are also very inconspicuous as the pictures on his sight will show.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:26 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would go with one of the 3M films like X-Pel or Stonguard.

Mudflaps look like crap. And Cleartastic was more work than I care for taking on and off. The 3M film once you put it on you are done. It never comes off going through big puddles or when you wash your car.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:27 PM
CoastalRAP
Safety Car

I got the full xpel kit

Originally Posted by agentf1
I would go with one of the 3M films like X-Pel or Stonguard.

Mudflaps look like crap. And Cleartastic was more work than I care for taking on and off. The 3M film once you put it on you are done. It never comes off going through big puddles or when you wash your car.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:45 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

well I'm glad we've cleared that up (about 5 posts, all recommending different products)

What's next ? Lets solve world peace ?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:44 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bugman
well I'm glad we've cleared that up (about 5 posts, all recommending different products)

What's next ? Lets solve world peace ?

Well atleast he knows he has choices. Choices are a good thing.

They all have there advantages and disadvantages. At first I liked having to spend time with my vette putting the Cleartastic on and off,then I got sick of it and thought I could be doing something better like Zainoing or driving. I also did not like the seam where it overlaps (apparently this was addressed). I will say they had excellent customer service and usually replace a piece if you lose one (and you will).

I like that with the 3M film you do it once and you are done with it.

I never liked the looks of mud flaps on a vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Mud flats or cleartastic?

Quick Reply: Mud flats or cleartastic?