Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Can "sand" in fresh clear-coat be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:23 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can "sand" in fresh clear-coat be removed?

My brother went ahead and had his car repainted, and recleared.

Somehow they ended up pumping sand into his clearcoat. They blamed themselves and said it was due to their filters needing changed.

So they wet-sanded and wet-sanded. Now its all covered in tiny "pits" from the sand being pulled out of the clearcoat.

They first said its as good as it will be, and they were done. My brother obviously is upset and doesn't want to accept it.

They have aggreed to repaint the hood and rear deck, but he says its all over the entire car.

They are not willing to fix their work and are threatening to cancel their account with my brother's company if he presses them.

I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and get a PC and try to help him make this work w/o him having to loose his customer and possibly his job.

Question is, do you guys think its wise to attempt to remove enough clearcoat to remove the divits? Or would that not be a good idea? Would something like Z5 fill enough to mask them?

He doesn't have the money to have someone respray it, and these guys are seemingly making it worse day by day.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:38 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The more cc you remove the more you run the risk off burning through or cc failure down the line. I highly doubt that Z5 will be able to fill pits left by sand in the cc. The body shop should do the right thing and fix their screw up IMHO. If he is paying for a good paint job he should get what he paid for.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Did he pay for this paint job or did they do it as a freebie ? If he paid I would make them correct ALL the issues since, as you stated, they stated it was their own fault.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:58 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Originally Posted by agentf1
The more cc you remove the more you run the risk off burning through or cc failure down the line. I highly doubt that Z5 will be able to fill pits left by sand in the cc. The body shop should do the right thing and fix their screw up IMHO. If he is paying for a good paint job he should get what he paid for.
He paid for it, he did get a break on pricing, but nothing earth shattering.

I aggree they should fix it, but sounds like they are not willing to. They have threatened to stop doing business with him if he doesn't just put his tail between his legs and walk away. I told him i'd push them to make it right if it was me, but he's really afraid it could cost him his job if he loses this account. Sounds like they think they have him over a barrel. So if it comes to it and he has to make do, what would you suggest? I know obviously would be to take it somewhere else, but he won't have the funding for another spray.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:28 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PC doesn't have the bite to remove serious defects and Zaino (while slightly masking them perhpas) will likely not fill them. Your brother is in a tough position and I feel for him. The company should remove the clear coat and respray the entire car. What ever happened to people standing behind their work and customer service?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:41 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't want dirtbags like that as my customer! First time someone comes along with a cheaper price he's probably tossed overboard anyway. A very unfortunate situation for him! What goes around comes around.......... I would at the vey least have him take it to another quality paint shop and have them look at it. Maybe they can offer a suggestion......
Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Ttime
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cthusker
I wouldn't want dirtbags like that as my customer! First time someone comes along with a cheaper price he's probably tossed overboard anyway. A very unfortunate situation for him! What goes around comes around.......... I would at the vey least have him take it to another quality paint shop and have them look at it. Maybe they can offer a suggestion......

What happened to craftsmanship and good customer service regardless who the customer is? I would never let something like that leave my shop done half assed and as an owner I would suck it up and do the right thing to correct the problem.

Good Luck,

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Can "sand" in fresh clear-coat be removed?

Quick Reply: Can "sand" in fresh clear-coat be removed?